WANTED: Hearty K10 for Mongolia drive

P

ptewson

This may be a long shot, but . . . . my name's Patrick and along with my friend Justin will be participating in the Mongol Rally in a little over a month. In short we will raise a thousand pounds for charity and then attempt to drive a care with less than a 1 liter engine from London to Mongolia. We would love to have a Nissan Micra for the drive!

Things get a little complicated (as if driving to Mongolia wasn't complicated enough!) because we are one of a handful of teams based in the USA. This means that we are only going to have a week in the UK to buy, register, repair, and outfit our car for the journey. Any contact we can make with a seller of a micra before this time is going to save us a lot of hassle during that week. And it seems logical to pose the question to a club based around Micra ownership -- you guys.

So: does anyone have (or know of) a K10 Micra that they are looking to sell, and would be willing to wait until we arrive in the UK and can meet in mid July to finalize the sale? The car doesn't have to be pretty but it would be nice if it were cheap and one of the < 1 liter engine models, without any pending failures that would strand us in the middle of nowhere. Although the timing and the fact that for now we are in the states could make the sale a bit complicated, the car would benefit from the media coverage surrounding the event, and you will have helped charity - and us - immensly.

I guess it doesn't even have to be a micra; any car with less than a liter engine would do. Anyone who feels inclined to donate the vehicle should feel very encouraged to do so! Sorry this post is dragging on, here are some links for the curious:

Team Ramrod website
Team Ramrod blog
Our CNCF donations
Our Send a Cow donations
Christina Noble Children's Foundation
Send a Cow

Dont forget to consider a 1.0L K11!!

Goodluck..!

Oh yeh, if the sucess of the K11 in other motorsport events is anything to go by, you'll 'win' the rally. :p

I've looked into this rally and have considered doing in a 1L K11, so firstly good luck.

As for getting a K10,it may be easier to search www.ebay.co.uk then hopefully if it's local to anyone here they may be abe to go look at it for you as there's a lot of people here who know a good car when they see it.

Let us know how you get on and we'll help if we can

what a brilliant gesture, i only wish i could help more - keep us updated...and i agree with Goldstar, ebay and a local member could meet

I have a Red K10 for sale at the moment. Where abouts would be local for you when you come over? Im in Gloucester, The south west. Im guessing you will just be around the london area though.

I do have some people comming to look at it soon. But id rather it go to a good cause to be honest. I shall let you know in the week if your still interested.

Regards

First off, thanks much for the responses and your willingness to help; I think this could really make a big difference.

Mulbers: I think we are very interested in hearing more about your Micra! We plan to stay in the Cambridge area but I think we could definately make a detour to Gloucester if things looked like they were going to work out with a car.

Barring that, finding a micra on ebay that is local to a board member would also be a great, great help if someone were willing to be a local contact for the proceedings. We've been skimming ebay but this would really allow us to do something about all those cars for sale. We are leaning towards the K10 on the basis that it would be a little older and therefore perhaps less alien to Kazakh mechanics, and maybe more towards the pricepoint we are looking for as well. But as time goes on we are going to get less and less picky.

Once again, thanks everyone for your help! I will be monitoring this forum and be in touch in the next few days and weeks.

I'm sure we could dig out some micra sports club stickers for the side too :D

good luck mate, the micras won't let you down and if you were lucky enough to get a March ST you might even make a good time lol ;)

take a laptop with you when you go and if you get into any trouble let us know and we'll be able to tell you what needs fixing not that anything will go wrong ;)

some good ebay cars :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NISSAN-MICRA-...650339642QQcategoryZ18238QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NISSAN-MICRA-...651990456QQcategoryZ18238QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1988-NISSAN-M...651789300QQcategoryZ18238QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1989-NISSAN-M...648827494QQcategoryZ18238QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NISSAN-MICRA-...650697457QQcategoryZ18238QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1991-Nissan-M...650309216QQcategoryZ18238QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

can't be bothered with any more lol there are soooo many :)

goldstar0011 said:
Also, there's a member called TURTLE on here who I think is doing it too in a K10, he may be able to help/advise you

Yeah planning on doing it in 2007, don't think I can be all that much help to you at the moment because I havnt set the ball rolling yet!

Wish you the best of luck tho, get on msn [email protected] and we could talk about things, maybe I can help you by looking around for cars locally.

Just remembered. Mr friend has a K11 for sale. Its £500 (probably too much for you? Might be able to push the price down if its for charity, it depends) but its probably a bit too nice a car to send to mongolia haha! Only done 80000.

I dont want to get your hopes up about being able to have the car, like i said there is someone coming to look at it. I had arranged that befor I knew you required one. Im quite hoping that they dont want it now. But here is some information about it.

The engine is spot on, its done around 76000 miles, iv carried out a lot of work keeping it top condition. Just serviced and runs perfectly. The paint work isnt amazing, but im sure your not really interested in that. New tyres and brakes.

Hope this is usefull to you. If there are any other things you would need to know, please let me know and il try and help.

Regards

Mulbers: Your micra seems great; We will be crossing our fingers!

500 pounds is definately more than we hoped to spend, and it seems a shame to drive a newer model into the ground going to mongolia. But . . . in 4 weeks we will be in a very different frame of mind if we haven't found a car!

i'm sure you'll find a car,

i was given a k10 collette but then some chav kids smashed it up so it had to go to the scrappy :(

it was going to have a rover V6 engine and everything grr

that seems perfect for a mongol rally. I was thinking of taking part as well in a 1.0 k11.. but got too many tie downs to just get up and go... wish i could though..

good luck with the rally thing if you need a donation etc i will give you a little.

Yes, I heard about the rally not too long before registration opened, and it came at probably the only time that I didn't have some sort of conflicts that would keep me from going. After that it was just hoping that my codriver was in the same boat! I think for a while he assumed I was joking and was just keeping the joke going . . . but when I signed us up that all changed.

Back