vvt hub reset

is there a guide anywhere on how to reset the vvt hub. im not sure if my hub is in the correct postion, cant get the timing chain to align on the vvt hub.

do your lobes line up with the outer edge of the cap bolts like this bryjon ? (@tdc cyl 1) and is the hub locked fully advanced, or fully retarded ?

82006.jpg
as cam.JPG

IMAG0008.jpg

this is the view of the vvt hub I can align up the crank with the first cam, if I align the marks on the vvt hub there is no tension between the two hubs the chain is sagging between them. I assume its because the vvt hub is misaligned.

View attachment 39351
this is the view of the vvt hub I can align up the crank with the first cam, if I align the marks on the vvt hub there is no tension between the two hubs the chain is sagging between them. I assume its because the vvt hub is misaligned.
Horrible purple tinged photos. Obvs a HTC One M7 / M8 :)

fwiw, they will replace the camera module under warranty

has it had a new chain fitted bryjon ? the chain sag is irrelevant if you have turned the crank to and fro, do the lobes line up like my pics ?

yes a new chain and tensioners etc. the crank was only turned clockwise to line everything up. the lobes line up as in the pics. that's why im sure its the vvt hub that's out not sure which marks should line up on the front of the hub.

Last night I decided to take apart my old vvt hub to see how it works, I discovered you can tell if the hub is in the advanced position (locked) or in the retarded postion (unlocked) by looking inside the oil grooves. These pics are in the locked postion
IMAG0011.jpg
IMAG0012.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0010.jpg
    IMAG0010.jpg
    904.2 KB · Views: 832
  • IMAG0011.jpg
    IMAG0011.jpg
    923.8 KB · Views: 791
IMAG0010.jpg
IMAG0009.jpg
The following pics are in the (unlocked) position retarded. In my opinion if you had the 5 point security bit it would be a lot easier just to undo them and reset it once undone from the cam (as long as your careful and re torque the bolts up afterwards. ill upload more pics of the hub disassembled later.

Hello Frank, sorry to pester you, but just now confused and cannot get the vvti inlet sprocket off. Tried a foot pump and electric pump with rubber tube, but will not release the pin. How can I get this off the inlet cam without breaking it, does pin have to be disengaged to remove the main bolt, and if taken off when fitting new chain will the vvti cog just sort itself out !? So long as chain is in correct position on cog ? I have tried last night and tonight but cannot get this to move, cam will move with spanner on, but scared to take main nut off end. Is it worth while considering removing hex bolts ? Thank you

Thanks, how do I get an answer to my question off the forum, just cannot see how to do it ? Is there a general expert area where the question can be placed ?

Hey mate found this it helped me when i done mine

Attachments

• c12 - Copy.txt
    2.4 KB · Views: 807
  • c12 - Copy.txt
    2.4 KB · Views: 688
  • 19744.png
    19744.png
    107.4 KB · Views: 11,633
You never worked on a K-12? Why not with all your in-depth transferable K 10 and K 11 skills and know how?
Hi plmval, I have just got a 5 star torx sett off eBay and taken sprocket to pieces, locked rotor to stator and got vvt phaser off, easy to put to unlock but there are small plastic vanes inside that you just have to watch you do not loose or drop in engine. Ordered chain and is now going back together.

Hi plmval, I have just got a 5 star torx sett off eBay and taken sprocket to pieces, locked rotor to stator and got vvt phaser off, easy to put to unlock but there are small plastic vanes inside that you just have to watch you do not loose or drop in engine. Ordered chain and is now going back together.

Good innovative work Dave 123 to improvise, adapt and overcome one of the many pitfalls and bear traps in the K-12. I believe you’re the first DIYer on the MSC to document dismantling VVT rotor for a set/ reset workaround one part of the many notorious K 12 maintenance issues!

Thank you, really appreciate that. Chain on and works a treat, so does vvt rotor. Just spent ages cleaning sealant off, next thing to think about is whether to pull the two dowels out of the timing case or leave them in, not sure, will have a think first.
Dave

when reinstall the chain where must the vvt locking be in retard or advanve. my car idle fine and rev up there sound like rattling noise in the TB and car is heavy on fuel before i change the piston rings the car was running 100% only smoking so i change the rings and now can seem not getting the car right its lack of power and sound like it sucking heavy air sounds like aftermaket con filter on but everything still standard. please advice

Back