volvo help!

NeX

You're after my robot bee
Club Member
hi all,

i have a shed of a volvo 940 which i am trying to sell,

but it has a problem, it wont start. it starts every time if i bump it, but if i use the key it usually doesn't start.

it has brand new spark plug leads and plugs, the plugs are sparking fine, the fuel pump works and i have fuel at the rail, i also have a pulse at the injectors, the plugs seem to be dry but the fuel could have evaporated before i got them out.

the battery is brand new and fine, the starter motor engages with the engine and turns it fine, all relays and fuses are fine, the ignition barrel has also been changed.

if i turn the key to engine ON mode, and then start the starter motor manually by running a wire to the battery it doesn't start, but if i roll the car forward it will.

my theory is that when the starter is running it is taking too much power and the car wont start which is why it works with a bump but not on the starter. i am thinking it might be a bad earth,

i have checked all earths to the engine, redone the main battery earth, i have taken the ECU apart and reflowed it, it looks fine.

so i am totally at a loss now, i cant think what it is, but no one will buy it if it wont start.... crappy volvos!

your theory could be right mate.

problem is i am not sure which earth it could be. there is spark, fuel, the ECU is running, i assume the injectors are opening, maybe its the injectors not getting enough power

problem is i am not sure which earth it could be. there is spark, fuel, the ECU is running, i assume the injectors are opening, maybe its the injectors not getting enough power

have you tried putting everything on lights ect and turning it over to see if anything dims? and im not the best with electrics on cars lol im more of a mechanical person. but isnt there earths on the loom for injectors?

Once you go Jap, you never go back. Once you go Volvo, it's time to buy a pipe and slippers and start taking things a bit easier :laugh:.

Did they mate?! There were only 2 when I visited! :laugh:

yea Iris's dad's work friend bought a new car and was going to scrap this one, we got it for spares but its too good to scrap so we are going to sell it but it won't start reliably enough.

i think the problem may be an earth contact on the resistor unit for the injectors. i don't think the injectors are firing on the starter. all the injectors have their own personal ground which goes via the resistor unit, so i am going to check that out.

yea Iris's dad's work friend bought a new car and was going to scrap this one, we got it for spares but its too good to scrap so we are going to sell it but it won't start reliably enough.

i think the problem may be an earth contact on the resistor unit for the injectors. i don't think the injectors are firing on the starter. all the injectors have their own personal ground which goes via the resistor unit, so i am going to check that out.

ah right yeah probably that then chief. if not hope its something simple mate (Y)

It's all about the 850 T5R and V70R :grinning:. Wolf in sheeps clothing right there (Y)

let you off with that one chief they are indeed (Y) dont get me wrong the old skool rwd bath tubs can be cool as well im just not a volvo guy im just a jap nut :laugh:

Even the standard 850 T5 is awesome, they're so rapid for a Volvo. And with a V70R, you can take all your mates and the dog as well, and still beat everyone :laugh:

Even the standard 850 T5 is awesome, they're so rapid for a Volvo. And with a V70R, you can take all your mates and the dog as well, and still beat everyone :laugh:

yeah they dont take much to get to 300bhp (Y) and the 850's can look pretty sweet as well. if i had a choice of anything other than jap tho it would be a 205 t16 evo 2 that is the only car i would have other than jap oh did i mention if i won the lottery as well :laugh: although i did give my mam a nudge to get a 850 when a was 17 but that was before i discovered jap.

My dad was actively encouraging me to go for a Volvo V70R, or BMW E46 330Ci M-Sport. Yeah, good luck getting me insured on either of those :glare:

Sorry for clogging up your thread Nex, but Volvos are the dogs danglies (Y)

My dad was actively encouraging me to go for a Volvo V70R, or BMW E46 330Ci M-Sport. Yeah, good luck getting me insured on either of those :glare:

Sorry for clogging up your thread Nex, but Volvos are the dogs danglies (Y)

haha yeah its the R that does it i think :laugh:.

i wanted a T5 turbo, there was one in a ditch outside the house, all smashed up (the idiot has been wheel spinning until his tires were smooth and flipped it on the first corner) but there are all kinds of rules and you cant just take a car even if its been sitting there for several months and its completely destroyed and the owner went to jail...

i wanted a T5 turbo, there was one in a ditch outside the house, all smashed up (the idiot has been wheel spinning until his tires were smooth and flipped it on the first corner) but there are all kinds of rules and you cant just take a car even if its been sitting there for several months and its completely destroyed and the owner went to jail...

yeah its more hassle than what its worth mate.

Back