Vista Sucks!!!

Krian

Fear me, for I am Onibaku
Had to get that off meh chest :p But seriously, a friend has just purchased a new computer, and it came with Vista pre-installed.

First things first, get the internet sorted, so there I am happily plugging in routers and everything else, in goes the Voyager 1010 adapter - not supported by vista :glare: call bt,

"yeah, I need a wireless usb adapter thats compatible with vista."
"Umm, we dont have any."
"Ok, how long until they're available?"
"July...."
"...."

Rite, so off to PC world in the hopes they have a pci card that vista can recognise. "Nope, maybe in a couple of weeks."

Fine, lets forget the internet for the moment and try something else. I know, trusty old iPod...... Doesnt support Vista..... :glare: (Tho apparently if you install the latest iTunes, run the vista repair tool, pray, and your really lucky it might work.... i'm not that lucky.)

Printer..... Nope, vista doesnt like that either....

Pretty much every single piece of hardware installed.... nope, no support for vista for that too :D And the best thing is, with all the certificate work Microsoft is gonna have to do, its gonna be at least a couple of months before it is sorted :D

Now you'll have to excuse me, I need to find Bill Gates and remove various parts of his anatomy before he does any more damage to my sanity. grr

None of this is Vista's fault! It's down to hardware manufacturers not pulling their fingers out of their backsides. It's not like Vista popped out of nowhere, they knew it was coming, they just didn't do anything about it!

Vista was in public beta for plenty long enough! lol

I own Vista, and I tell you know, IT does NOT suck, it runs everything that XP did and more, and its alot better looking, more secure and much better features. :p

Dont defend MS too much James! im sure its the responsibility of both MS and manufactureres to ensure devices work.

From what I understand, the hardware manufacturers dont write drivers for beta cos things change a fair bit.

I checked up on the supported drivers list for Vista Beta and the Voyager 1010 was listed - now with the release it isnt, and according to BT never will be.

D4R73N: All I can say is, try and get it to run everything I was trying today :p Im sure you'll then agree that it doesnt run everything XP did :p

Dont defend MS too much James! im sure its the responsibility of both MS and manufactureres to ensure devices work.
Why is it the responsibility of MS to ensure 3rd party devices work?
That's like trying to claim Nissan have a responsibility to ensure Janspeed manifolds always fit their cars... Janspeed have to adopt to the new technology/design

I'm with James here, MS release beta versions to companies too and they can at least work on drivers, Nvidia seem to have a nice set of drivers don't they?
When buying a new computer with a new OS it's always a good idea to visit the site of every device you have or even run a vista check on the current pc to check of all connected device are visat compatible.
Plus if the Voyager 1010 is an old product I would expect drivers too soon.

Always worth getting on some tech forums, someone may know of some tweaked drivers some another adapter that may work.

Why is it the responsibility of MS to ensure 3rd party devices work?
That's like trying to claim Nissan have a responsibility to ensure Janspeed manifolds always fit their cars... Janspeed have to adopt to the new technology/design

Yeah i guess when you put it like that, i have to agree with you :)

Everyone is soo keen to bash ms, yet they have done all they can to release a flawless os.They cannot accomodate for everything. As James said the key word is 3rd party. MS cannot create drivers for everything, it'd be an impossible task, 3rd party companies have to create their own drivers for different operating systems.

I personally wouldnt upgrade yet, i'd wait for service pack 1 or 2 to come out. To ensure any security holes have been fixed. Remember just like ANYTHING, the first product IS NEVER perfect. Almost every piece of software released (games, applications etc) have patches to fix bugs and security holes in products. You cant expect a product to work flawlessly straight from the release date, especially something as large as vista that has taken years to build and test!

Everybody would complain if the PS2 didn't play 3rd party PS1 games
I wouldn't. In fact I was annoyed that Sony made the PS2 so similar that the PS1 games would play on it!

The old Xbox games run on an emulator on the 360, there's no legacy hardware in it at all.

As for stuff not working in Vista but fine in XP, a hell of a lot of the OS has been redesigned from the ground up - the whole Networking stack was rebuilt from scratch, to include IPv6 support and to make it a lot more secure. This is probably what made the old router not work with it.

Driver groups for Windows tend to go as follows:

95/98/Me
2000/XP
XP64
NT/Server 2003
Vista 32-bit
Vista 64-bit

Drivers had to be updated when XP came out, it's just happening again thats all.

My complaint wasnt so much that the drivers didnt work, its more the fact that MS said in the beta release that the drivers would be supported, and that you could use the hardware without downloading additional drivers (incorporated straight into the Vista disk) but when the final version was released a whole load of stuff they said would be supported are now no longer available.

Plus there have been a shed load of changes between Beta and the final release, so the hardware companies dont write anything based on Beta as it would all have to be scrapped and re-written anyway.

Finally, i completely agree with waiting until Sp1 is out - if ya double check meh first post you'll see it was on a computer brought by a friend of mine! I'm gonna wait quite a while before I get vista - besides, i'd rather spend £180 on a wii than a new OS. :p

Oh final note - networking is a pain on Vista :p Last night used a crossover cables to connect two computers together so that vista could access the web via the xp boxes wireless, except vista wouldnt let connect to the wireless :D In fact it somehow managed to stop wireless on the XP box from working, yet when I tried to xp boxes hooked together it was fine!

I can understand making things easier for non-techy types to deal with, but its a pain in the neck when your trying to get it to do something even slightly complicated as you have to peel back layer after layer of 'user-friendly' rubbish first.

You can usually get away with using xp drivers on windows server 2003 James.

Only if they're digitally signed, and quite a lot of XP ones aren't.

What version of Vista is your friend running Krian? I'm running Home Premium and the networking options are just as "advanced" as XP Pro...

Only if they're digitally signed,

Nope. It says something along the lines of "This driver is not designed for this operating system" but gives you the option to stop or continue.

Lots of our printer drivers and network card drivers dont have a 2003 release, so are using XP as recommended by the manufacturer!

Most of the time you could get 2k/xp/2k3 drivers to work just by changing a few things in the .inf files.

Vista still has compatability mode and does work with a lot of XP drivers though. A lot of the badly written low level ones won't work though, but this is all part of the security model.

Back