Vinyl roof?

micra_tom

MICRA FTW!
Hey guys over the past few months iv seen a few cars in Fast Car Magazine, with vinyl covered roofs. Now i think it looks awesome!, but i havent got a clue where to go to get this sort of thing? or even how much it costs?...ill try and get somepics up guys just incase you dont read the mags..

thanks for your help!!

DAMN : cant find any pics of the "frozen white" fiesta from June 2009 issue of Fast Car..but im pretty sure this 106 has had it done as well..

http://www.fastcar.co.uk/04570735437930109330/jonny-harris-peugeot-106-qs.html

OP
OP
micra_tom

micra_tom

MICRA FTW!
COW PRINT FTW!! lol...yeah i mean i didnt wonna mention it to loads of people cos i wanted to do something special and make people go "ooh didntsee that comming"...

but i needed help, so had to turn to you guys lol

mullet

Ex. Club Member
there is a place up my way that does it as a guy i know got his scooby camo'd
scooby.jpg

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
i think i read that issue of the Frozen white fiesta cos he modded it from new if i remember correctly anyways i think you can get it done at a signwriters place for commercial vans etc.

Vinyl roof...how the memories come flooding back!!!....You could not buy a car in 1960's/70's without one.....need the platform shoes and flares to go with it!!!!...strange how fashion comes back around...

kev

markbognor

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
I think you guys are getting Vinyl roofs, popular in the 60's and 70's like tonka mentions, with vinyl wrapping (or part wrapping). The two are quite different.

Traditional Vinyl roofs use a thick, textured (sort of leather grain) vinyl. Kits can be purchased.

68_firebird_vinyl_roof_2.jpg

I thought you meant this at first tom! I was thinking WTF, but then I suppose it could work on a mitsosuka (sp) veiwt or that other austin 1100 styled conversion.

I now see you are talking about the sort of vinyl used for printed stickers and the like, the scooby has been vinyl wrapped, with the cammo print. I'ts pretty popular on supercars in matt/satin black too.

Here's a lexarse coupe that has had the center panel done, like i think you are sugesting tom? I think it would look ace on a micra, and would visually loose the black channel trims.

103332d1237404573-vinyl-roof-done-mikes-card-012.jpg

Have some more vinyl wraps

nigos-bugatti-veyron.jpg

ferrari-f430-scuderia-black-matte-2.jpg

I was told recently that the technique was developed for use on German taxis (which are all cream and generally MB E-classes) They would have to be painted cream new, which then makes the re-sale value virtually nothing, because nobody wants to buy a million mile ex-taxi. The coloured wrap was then developed hand in hand with the printed advertising versions seen so often on vans, and now used as a style accessory on cars.

To do the micra roof you would need a 900mm wide strip, and length ways about 1400mm. I've just had a look on the bay and it would only cost a tenner for the vinyl from here. Ask the seller, he might have matt/satin as well.

It would be a tricky job because of the compound curve of the roof but should be diy able with some careful application.

I had intended to use matt vinyl cut into squares to put checks on the roof of mine. Unfortunately swmbo, who actually owns the car, said NO!