Vibrations at speed....

Does your K10 go more than 75MPH

• Total voters

QuiggyWoo

Club Member (Trial)
Hi again people! I have just got back from a drive to Chelmsford from London, (Hello Essex). Car was fine although I have decided that not only running super cold all the time (See my other post) the car also runs on fumes!. About 10 miles out of Chelmsford my fuel gauge went to empty. I left with only 1/4 tank and at it slowly drained down. (I was on a delivery and I did have a huge weight in the boot which never helps on fuel economy) Anyway before I vier anymore off topic!

Coming down the A12 just after leaving the 50MPH zone I put my foot down and at around 70MPH maybe 80ish the car shook all over the place. I don't just mean a simple vibration. The dash shook, the steering wheel started to fight me. When I dropped down to 4th gear and lifted the clutch the car stoped vibrating for a while and then started again just as it did when i went up to 5th again.

What caused the Vibrations? The car has been tracked and I did change the front tyres around after reading a post in the K11 forum. Am I forever to stay in the slow lane running along at 60MPH or is there a way to stop this?

could be

tracking, unevenly worn tyres which is normally linked to tracking, bent alloy(s)

also could be but highly unlikely clutch/gearbox problems

Balancing. Its possible one of your weights has come off. Mine vibrate around 50-60 ever since i've had my tyres changed and balanced :(

Its really annoying esp when you try and overtake and the car is vibrating all over the place. Is the vibration just because the balancing etc is out? I want to put new tires all round next month. The rubber I have are all okay but all dif!

Yes i reckon so, at that speed too. Apparently its the weights on the rears aren't correct, but the bloke i got to do it said he can't get it any better! Never used to vibrate before i took it to him, stupid idiot.

If your getting your tyres changed, they'l do balancing at the same time. Usually included in the cost

Makes me laugh I spent ages tuning and servicing my K10 and got it as perfect as you can get a 1991! Well It will do an un-official 0 - 60 in around 5.5/6 secs at the moment. (No engine mods yet) Now It shakes so I can't use the speed! What year is ur K10?

Please bear in mind the MSC does not tolerate discussion of illegal speeding on the forums.

yeah great top speed as well! 85MPH lol. Book speed is 86MPH so its not bad. Hates 80+ mind you.

I will get it down mind you. Its a challenge!

Please bear in mind the MSC does not tolerate discussion of illegal speeding on the forums.

Obviously maximum speed I would drive at on a road is 70MPH.

Riiight! :p

un-official 0 - 60 in around 5.5/6 secs at the moment

Bear in mind you've already written un official figures AKA public road testing.

Keep it on topic please

Okay Okay. Sorry! Anyway, back to Vibrations.... I will have the tyres changed and balanced and see if it makes any difference. Did you put normal cheap tyres on your K10 Arnold or did you put on something better? I only ask to determine if expensive tyres will still have the same problems as cheap budget tyres.

I replaced one set of Toyo CF1 tyres with another, but the bloke decided to rebalance them anyway! Didnt see why personally as it's exactly the same tyre setup.

i need to take it somewhere locally and see if they can sort it out. I dont think they should vibrate whatever tyre you buy, as long as they are set up correctly.

I replaced one set of Toyo CF1 tyres with another, but the bloke decided to rebalance them anyway! Didnt see why personally as it's exactly the same tyre setup.

i need to take it somewhere locally and see if they can sort it out. I dont think they should vibrate whatever tyre you buy, as long as they are set up correctly.

you should balance your wheels everytime, even if they are the same tyres they could be mounted 30degrees further around the rim or something. Also in maufacturing, theres no guarantee that they are the exact same.

arnold said:

its not right to speed but come on, were only talking about it. Lighten up.

Ryan.

I dont make the rules lol! and yeah i guess your right about the tyres being put on differently

In my micra, and the same in my fiesta at around 80 (on the track of course ;) )
all the plastics start to rattle and vibrate, this is normal and not a problem as the top I go is 70 as that is the limit. lol.

Vibrations would not be caused by tyre pressure!

Also, the plastics do get a bit rattly, but make sure they're all screwed in properley and wack some decent suspension on there and that'l soon stop. the boot rattling was another major irritation but easy to sort.

I'l probably get mine rebalanced early next month.

my k10 when i take bends at 110-130 km/h the back wheels vibrate a lot, like if a bearing was broken or something
its hardly imposible to go over 130
bye!

Track Rod ends

Just to create some closure. It turned out that the right hand Track Rod End was damaged!. Never bothered to look, (Bit slow this month) Replaced them both and had it tracked at KwikFit (28.00!) and now its fine. Also rotated the tires before I replace them at the ned of the month and the inside wear was getting silly.

Back