VIBRATION WHEN BRAKING

Thought I would solicit comments on possible causes for vibration when braking on my wife's K12 1.4 Aurtomatic.

Having read various on line blogs, I have already checked the caliper guide pins, and cleaned and regreased them, so everything is moving smoothly there. The pads were changed not so long ago, so there is plenty braking material left on them. There is no noticeable vibration when driving at any speed, only when braking, and the higher the speed when the brakes are applied, the more noticeable is the vibration, though at low speeds vibration is almost unoticeable..

People have commented on many blogs that vibration is "usually" caused by "warped discs" and they must be changed immediately, but "experts" on braking specific sites seem to suggest that in most cases this is nonsense !!!

I am convinced that it is a front brake problem rather than rear brakes, as the vibration is only really noticeable through the steering wheel....the whole vehicle is not vibrating.

Any input would be really appreciated so I can solve this annoying problem.

I had similar problems when I first got my K12. Everything looked OK so decided that warped discs had to be the problem. 'Invested ' in a set of Mintex front discs and pads (£40 inc p&p) and sure enough after fitting these the problem vanished. (and some 12K miles further on, hasn't returned)

Been out of action for a couple of months, so now need to get wife's car back on the road. Have bought the new discs and pads, and am attempting the job. Have removed caliper, etc. and Torx headed retaining screw, but disc will not budge.........any tips ?? I don't want to beat the hell out of it with a hammer, and possibly cause damage elsewhere. I thought of using a puller held in place by 2 wheel studs, but the disc is of course not threaded. Of course all the online videos show it simply sliding off by hand.....lol.

Well if you have removed the retaining screw(s) then nothing is holding it on the hub but friction. I would just tap it with a hammer, from the back, at several points. Keep rotating the disc and tap it at a different place each time, that should get it moving...

Been out of action for a couple of months, so now need to get wife's car back on the road. Have bought the new discs and pads, and am attempting the job. Have removed caliper, etc. and Torx headed retaining screw, but disc will not budge.........any tips ?? I don't want to beat the hell out of it with a hammer, and possibly cause damage elsewhere. I thought of using a puller held in place by 2 wheel studs, but the disc is of course not threaded. Of course all the online videos show it simply sliding off by hand.....lol.

Does this video helps? How to replace front brake discs and brake pads NISSAN MICRA 3 TUTORIAL | AUTODOC ;)

Same video makers have made several tutorials for Micras, like this:
[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVdmQIJTZzw&index=7&list=PLWep5LzT0sxl8Q3kwyg9Vyf2DnGO5bDPK]How to replace rear brake pads NISSAN MICRA 3 TUTORIAL | AUTODOC[/URL]

Last edited:
Try beating the central, outermost, part of the disc between the bolt holes with a large hammer. You need to break up the rust that's bonding the disc to the hub face.

Back