Vibrating exhaust heat cover

Hi everyone, my Mum's Micra (K11 1.3 16v) has developed a annoying rattle from the exhaust heat cover (metal cover over the manifold) when it's started from cold (When it's warm the noise goes) Is there a way of curing this? Would new bolts sort it out?

Many thanks in advance : )

Sorry to double post, but does anyone have an idea as to why this vibration is happening? If not, could a mod delete this post, as I don't wish to "clutter" the forums : )

pollyp

Club Member
Thanks for the replies.

Sorry to sound a bit stupid, but what do you mean by "leave the 2 bolts in on both sides of the 1st cat"? And is the cover hard to take off?

what frank said above.

the manifold heatshield bolts are often badly corroded in place. doesn't matter if the bolt head snaps off while getting the shield off cos they're blind holes.

the shield in front of the 1st cat is secured by bolts on the side. simply unscrew the shield off the cat then screw the bolts back on to seal the open hole.

I think the cover that is rattling, is the top one on the actual manifold (Not the one further down, that is attached to the down pipe - take it that the one on the down pipe, is the cover for the cat?) Could I cut through the bolts with a hacksaw, or is that likely to start a fire? (I know, what a daft blooming question.....) Cheers again : )

Sorry to double post, but my mate's getting a little bit fed up with the rattling coming from the Micra. I think it might be the top heat shield on the exhaust. Here's a picture of the one I believe is making the noise (I've put a black box around it as well)

thumb_Micra_1300_S519-1.jpg

Is it ok to remove this one? Are they a sod to get off? And what do I do about the object that is bolted to the front of it? (Could be a sensor for the CAT?)

Cheers : )

pollyp

Club Member
yep the shield bolts usually rusted on so try undo with sockets or mole grips, else cut it off

the little bracket in front just holds the o2 sensor cable, just tie the cable somewhere away from the hot manifold

yep the shield bolts usually rusted on so try undo with sockets or mole grips, else cut it off

the little bracket in front just holds the o2 sensor cable, just tie the cable somewhere away from the hot manifold

Cheers. What do you suggest I cut it off with, if I can't get at it with a socket? (As it's a pretty tight fit down there.........) And these are the "blind holes" I've been told about before, right? (I don't want to be fupping up the little Micra, before I'll little "project" has begun.......)

pollyp

Club Member
yeah those are blind bolt holes. u can either bend it back n forth till it fatigue snaps off with alot of effort or saw it off with junior hacksaw or personally i prefer my trusty dremel or angle grinder to grind the bolt head off

We've managed to cut the top heat cover off, but the "buzzing" noise it still happening. It seems the noise is coming from the centre of the exhaust, just after the downpipe.

I don't know if it's a heat shield, or if the baffles have collapsed in the centre box. Also, The heat shield around the first cat (the next one down after the one we took off) has rusted away around one of the bolts, leaving just one side attached. Would it be worth ripping that one off as well? Or will this be an MOT failure?

Cheers : )