vented brakes?

simmo

Official micra geek!
just wondering if anyone here has got vented brakes on their k10. I'v order myself a set n will b getting them next week. how much better are they than the standard disks?

Kev

Pro Cut Vinyl
Founding Member
Official MSC Trader
Where have you ordered these from?

You will need to either replace your existing callipers with ones that are made for the vented discs or do what I did and a few others have and use a dremmil on the inside of the existing calliper arms to take a few mm off to allow the calliper to site over the newer thicker discs and avoid paying over nearly £200 for the callipers.

Kev :)

Speedle

Ex. Club Member
ive got vented brakes on mine and thanks to kev the correct calipers :) you can order new calipers from www.brakeparts.co.uk discs are £10 each (where i get mine) :D and calipers are something like £40 each which is a very good price :D other than changing the calipers and discs it a very straight forward swap and really does make the brakes a hell of a lot better esp when slowing from speed like on motorway slip roads :)

OP
OP
simmo

simmo

Official micra geek!
oh right, the guy in the shop seemed to think i could just put them straight on as they are vented disks for the k10. I'v ordered them from a local shop n cost me bout £40 which i thought was quite reasonable. i was hoping the brakes would work better from high speed so that sounds promising!

fox1983

Deactivated Account
if the pads are worn down and the calipers fully retracted they would fit BUT! i wouldnt recommend this however, if you had new pads on standard calipers they would not fit. get the right calipers mate :D

Krazy k10man

S

Slim

you need bigger calipers. I put brembo vented disks on my k10 with mintex pads and K!1 march calipers. They work a lot beter than the old ones did, but to be fair - we noticed a master cylinder fault when bleeding the system so changed that, which may have helped, but the old disks were shot.

On a note of vented disks - they is no gain to be had in everday driving. The only benefit they have is better cooling if they are hammered.

New standard disks and good pads will be just as effective to the average.

I only put them on mine because i had a set lying around.

OP
OP
simmo

simmo

Official micra geek!
Iv have really bad break fade at times n its **** scary!! thats the main reason im putting them on. Also i just thought it was about time i change all the brakes n stuff anyway as they are old and shot! gonna have alook aroud n try and find some newer drums for the back.