Valve Removal

Hello,

I'm currently in the process of re-building my Micra engine (1990 K10 1.0L). I'm just want to know how do you remove the valves from the head. I have a Haynes manual but it says you need some sort of compression tool to do it, however, it also says it can be done without this tool, by using a fork like device to push down the valve. Does anyone have any tips on this procedure? Any help will be appreciated.

hi kazimann

if you put a ball of cloth under the valve heads ( on the floor ) and then put a socket (valve spring size ) on the top of the springs and give a sharp tap, the collets usually jump out a treat
you might need a valve spring compressor to put the collets back in tho !

As another alternative, You could use a large G-clamp to slightly depress the Valve springs. Using a socket but with the sides cut away, place the Socket over the Valve/Spring, place the G-clamp over each of the Valves, compress the G-clamp and the Collets will pop out. Do the same when putting the Collets back in. It can be a bit fiddly but i've managed to do that over some years without any problems....:)

Thanks again, might try that too. Haven't gone back to it yet. I realised that one of my valves was chipped at the port, hence why the engine was running like crap for the last while. I'm thinking of getting another head in a scrapyard, but if I do, I'm still going to change the valve seals.

you need a valva spring compresser...it ok taking them out that way by tapping a socket over the top,,,,,,,but no way do you want to put them in without the proper tool....or else if you dont get them back in and seated proply you could be rebuilding you engine again...

amen to that. for the small cost of a valve spring compressor it really isnt worth the effort of using a socket. The compressor will make removal easier and "more controlled" too.

Thanks lads for the overall advice. I eventually went to Halfords today and bought a valve spring compressor. Does the job nicely too.

The next stage of the rebuild is the replacing the big-end bearings and the piston rings. I wouldn't say many K10's will receive this amount of TLC! :D

Back