URGENT: Timing Chain, no coloured links!

C0llis0n

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
Hi guys Im in need of a bit of help!

Im in the process of changing my timing chain. All was going smoothly until I inspected the new chains. I dont have 2 coloured links like I assumed there would be! I really dont want to mess this up so could somebody give me a quick answer as to how to get the right links matched up.

Basically, on each chain I have 1 Gold link, but then I have various links stamped '6BD' and a couple of links stamped 'Max Top'.

All help is appreciated! Thanks, Joe.

OP
OP
C0llis0n

C0llis0n

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
Scrap that it says '06B'

Does anybody know how much links there should be between the upper shaft sprocket marker and the crankshaft sprocket marker?

frank

Club Member

Attachments

• PICT0283.JPG
    PICT0283.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 2,271
OP
OP
C0llis0n

C0llis0n

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
? I understand that part Frank. The crank is at TDC and I have the 1 coloured link on the dot on the large spocket (the double one) but how do I know what link to put the Crank spocket on if I have no coloured ones? Does it make a difference?

frank

Club Member
you dont need to worry about the coloured links joe, you just set that double sprocket at 4 o,clock and set the 2 top dots with 5 links in between them (or 7 links if you include the links above the dots) :grinning:

OP
OP
C0llis0n

C0llis0n

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
Think I got there thanks Frank, I'll take a pic and let me know what you think, good to have a second opinion before I put the tensioner in.

Thanks for your help!

OP
OP
C0llis0n

C0llis0n

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
I'll post the pic in the morning, I'll also post a pic of the cause of the chain rattle. Wouldnt like to of run the engine much longer as it was anywho!

frank

Club Member
np joe, and if you,re using partworn chains or if you,ve had a 1 or 2mm headskim you can compensate for the cams being retarded by positioning that double/idler sprocket in a different position to the 4 o,clock in that diag.
in this pic you can see that the 2 top teeth line up on the 2 top arrows where the idler is set at 10 o,clock, where-as on the lower 2 arrows (4 o,clock position) they,re about 1/2 a tooth out
attachment.php

Attachments

• SDC10349.JPG
    SDC10349.JPG
    228.4 KB · Views: 1,680
OP
OP
C0llis0n

C0llis0n

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
Ah i see, chains are new so the idler sprockets at the 4 o'clock position, everything seems to match up to your diagrams.

frank

Club Member
i posted some pics of the lobe positions in swordfish,s camchange thread from about 2 weeks ago if you want to doublecheck joe :grinning:

OP
OP
C0llis0n

C0llis0n

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
Had a double check. Everything look good to you?

IMG00200-20100326-0100.jpg

IMG00199-20100326-0100.jpg

IMG00201-20100326-0100.jpg

And the cause of the problem
IMG00198-20100325-2229.jpg

IMG00197-20100325-2228.jpg

IMG00196-20100325-2228.jpg

No wonder it was making such a beast of a noise eh! Im just hoping the rest of that tensioner is sitting in the bottom of the sump.

Isnt the chain a bit loose between the sprockets? i mean when you put in the chaintensioner the tensioner isnt gonna pull the chain auomatically to the left resulting in a bad timing for the inlet?

btw frank, the timing on your picture isnt right. thats the picture of my wrong timing. on the picture the inlet cam is one tooth off.