Urgent nats help

superls

K10 Tuner
Hi boys and girls, i need some help with nats.

the short story is that its kicked into my SR and i dont know how to un kick it in.

the long story is while removing the cowling around the indicator, wiper stalk, i accidentally broke the nats pickup ring, ive removed it, glued it back together and now when i put the key in i get a flashy engine light and no firing what so ever.

have i got any chance of sorting it out?
do i need a new pickup ring? can i get one from another car? or are they programmed specifically?

ive just disconnected the battery to try that. any ideas/advice will be much appreciated

cheers, im counting on you.

scott

i would guess the ring repair has failed scott :eek: IF its just an antenna then a replacement one should fix it eh

yes its just the antenna i broke, i got a bit to hand fisted and snapped the ring bit off.

i was planning on getting my brother to take me to scrappers and just get the antenna bit, but didnt know if they were interchangeable or programmed specific?

would the NATS just reset once a 'good' antenna and correct key are inserted?

not interchangeable did exactly the same thing to the bee, after putting one in from scrap yard I towed it to Nissan for recode £125.00

ouch instead of glue which would not carry the circuit try soldering it maybe? im not sure but may be better luck better than £125 haha

well scrappers is shut till tuesday, and i suppose nissan will be, i need the car for work tuesday too.

so then lads, how you you bypass nats 2 (i think i have nats 2??)

is the only way a non nats ecu?

Hi sorry to jump in but i am having the same problem. I decided that as the antenna was broken any way to open it up to see if it could be soldered. When i opened the back the wires go to a circuit board which un-plugs from the ring and can be removed from the housing. If i got a replacement could i plug my old wiring into the replacement ring and then still use my original key?

You still need Nats re-programming...

The only way to make it work is take the following parts from donor car:

NATS 2 - Ignition Ring, NATS box near blower, ECU and chip on key

NATS 5 - Ignition Ring, ECU and chip on key

The NATS 2 uses a control box, NATS 5 has that box built-in into the Ignition Ring (4 wires on ring for NATS 2 and 7 or 8 wires on ring for NATS 5).

I think im right assuming that NATS 2 is the system that 96-98 Micras use, and NATS 5 is the 98-00 system? Or NATS 2 is the system that is used on even older Micras, with half-size ECU's?

the only chance using scrap parts is remove the pickup ring and ecu along with the key...........with the key you have 2 options try to remove the chip under red plug in key end and put into yours or tape the key near the pickup ring remove your chip from key. The ecu key and pickup ring are all coded together, if you have removed the pickup ring and key and already tried them they are now useless as nats will have picked up that the codes do not match and locked them out so its no good going to get the ecu that you left behind. Start again find another scrapper with all intact make sure key works ie try to start scrapper then remove everything.........im not sure but there is also a black box hidden under dash or passenger footwell that also carries the code its been a while since i did my last one..........easier to just get ring then take to Nissan less hassle expensive but always works dont forget to take your spare key along also so this can be recoded and try both before driving away.............

So is it right to assume that the code is stored on the chip on the circuit board within the ring housing and that the actual ring acts just as an antenna (it appears to be a copper wire winding)? If so then maybe my idea of changing the complete board and wiring could work. I am tying to get a ring but am unable to get to a scrapyard so am trying evil-bay at the moment. Mine is the nats 2 ring with the 4 wires

I have taken some pictures of the dismantled ring showing the circuitboard,housing & ring do the chips on the board store the code and the copper ring act as an antenna for reading the chip in the key(sorry having trouble downloading pictures)
sevo7

You still need Nats re-programming...

The only way to make it work is take the following parts from donor car:

NATS 2 - Ignition Ring, NATS box near blower, ECU and chip on key

NATS 5 - Ignition Ring, ECU and chip on key

The NATS 2 uses a control box, NATS 5 has that box built-in into the Ignition Ring (4 wires on ring for NATS 2 and 7 or 8 wires on ring for NATS 5).

I think im right assuming that NATS 2 is the system that 96-98 Micras use, and NATS 5 is the 98-00 system? Or NATS 2 is the system that is used on even older Micras, with half-size ECU's?

whats the best (cheapest) way of doing this?

the only chance using scrap parts is remove the pickup ring and ecu along with the key...........with the key you have 2 options try to remove the chip under red plug in key end and put into yours or tape the key near the pickup ring remove your chip from key. The ecu key and pickup ring are all coded together, if you have removed the pickup ring and key and already tried them they are now useless as nats will have picked up that the codes do not match and locked them out so its no good going to get the ecu that you left behind. Start again find another scrapper with all intact make sure key works ie try to start scrapper then remove everything.........im not sure but there is also a black box hidden under dash or passenger footwell that also carries the code its been a while since i did my last one..........easier to just get ring then take to Nissan less hassle expensive but always works dont forget to take your spare key along also so this can be recoded and try both before driving away.............

im back at work tomorrow, so im trying to find someone (not nissan) to reprogram it me, ive got a couple of leads to chase up tomorrow, but i could really do without giving nissan main dealer prices.

You have to take the 4 parts of the donor car: ECU, chip, ring and control box. Whatever is the price on the scrapyard, it will be cheaper than the Nissan stealers...

If you change only one of the parts, you still need a re-programming, can be done at home with a laptop, a Consult cable and H-Dev NATS recoder software.

You have to take the 4 parts of the donor car: ECU, chip, ring and control box. Whatever is the price on the scrapyard, it will be cheaper than the Nissan stealers...

If you change only one of the parts, you still need a re-programming, can be done at home with a laptop, a Consult cable and H-Dev NATS recoder software.

Could you use the software to disable the nats by any chance?

which consult cable do you have? ad how much was it, ive been looking at the diy one on the plms developments site, is that nats recoder software easy to use?

Doesnt Ed at fusion offer a removal service of the NATS system?

yes i believe he does but he hasnt replied to my pm yet.

which consult cable do you have? ad how much was it, ive been looking at the diy one on the plms developments site, is that nats recoder software easy to use?

I bought it from a guy that solds them on eBay, from Latvia, his store is something like "A's DEV" or so... Its a USB version that has a built-in serial-to-usb adapter, so no need for an external adapter like for the usual normal cables.

Yes, the software is easy to use, just select the COM port, click "Connect" and then click "Sync", the EML stops blinking and keeps always lit up, and thats it, NATS recoded...

one last option is to get engine loom and ecu from a 1993 1994 or early 1995 micra none nats change these and remove nats for good best option is 93 or 94 this is the route i went down with success 4 times now.

There was a guy who posted on the forum a fair while ago about a very simple wiring mod he did to bypass the Nats, not of great help to you I know, but does at least show a very simple mod can work, now we just need to work out what that mod is :wasntme:

If memory serves me right wasn't he slated as it didn't work and that it was for a primera (i could be wrong) also he was canned for putting it on a public forum where anyone and everyone could read it, I spent days trawling through dead end links looking for an answer to the same question a few years back, I ended up with the same options as above.......(Y)

Ive seenthat post was about nats 1 with is easy to overcome, having lookid into it i ideally want to keep the nats, due to the nats ecu's being more capable from a turbo mapping point of view, also ed says there are some limitations with the early/non nats ecu's.

Might have this sorted now, one of dads mates is stopping by later, he thinks he can do it, if he can its £35 so fingers crossed eh? Lol

right, ive now got this sorted, dads mate pulled through, plugged his handheld gadget it, 2 mins later purring like a cat, all back up and running again. :)

Glad to hear that you have fixed it scott. I received my pickup ring today and i swapped the circuit board over from my original ring and put it on my ignition switch, re set the flashing light and turned it over afew times. The light stopped flashing & the engine started after a few attempts. I started the engine a few times just to check it wasnt a fluke and every thing seems ok. So it would seem that the code is stored on the chip on the board so hopefully i have saved recoding the ecu,keys etc.

Back