urgent help water leak in footwell

S

superman77

hi everybody,

i have a problem which is that water is leaking in to the passenger footwell ive checked other peoples replys on the site but only found suggestions like check heater matrix and one other which is to remove the scuttle panel under windsreen and use flasing tape to seal the clips. does anyone know the real reason why water is entering just into the passenger side. and any suggestions on how to sort out. thanx

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Check the seal around the passenger window, and the seal around the door. You need to open the door to see it

OP
OP
S

superman77

what do i look out for on the side doors also if it is not the problem then what else do u suggest thanx

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
If the seal is broken, loose, fallen off etc!

Also believe it or not, water can leak in around the rear light clusters and travel through the car from back to front. Check the seal around those. Water / condensation inside the light cluster is usually a good indication it needs attention

misterBaz

Ex. Club Member
Do you have a sunroof? Could be coming in through that.

I have the same problem as you...thought I'd elminated the problem but I hadn't. I've gotta pull all my interior out again...which is intensley annoying. I'll let you know if I come accross anything but the chances of my fixing the problem in the next week or so are remote as I'm busy as hell at the moment.

OP
OP
S

superman77

yes do have sunroof but looks mint checked doors they are ok checked scuttle panel under windscreen no signs off water dry. so will check lights at rear how do i check that and also any other suggestion as i had this problem before in my first micra aswell.

rlees85

Ex. Club Member
sniff it and if it smells like coolant its heater matrix, if it smells like nothing (water) it must be a door/sunroof/windscreen/something seal

misterBaz

Ex. Club Member
will check lights at rear how do i check that
Pull up the boot carpet, Fold the rear seats forward, clamber into boot, shut boot door, get a mate to spray water around the rear light fittings and around the boot seals. you'll see the water coming in if it's leaking. If you don't have a mate handy, pull back the boot carpet, dry off the floor completely, put newspaper down on the floor of the boot, shut the boot and then spray water from a hose over the light fittings and boot seal. If the newspaper is wet once you've finished spraying then you know there is a problem.

Fordy

Ex. Club Member
take out the sunroof glass and pour water down each drain tube making sure the water is flowing and coming out the sills,

then get a few jugs of water and get someone else to pour it into the scuttle panel vents and see if it comes in, mud and crap build up inside and make it rust though

rear light seals like everyone has said,

basically sit inside and get someone to hose it down all over the car and crawl around inside hunting it down till you find it

if its antifreeze and you touch it, i wont feel like plain water it will leave your hands feeling funny almost like a film on your hand

OP
OP
S

superman77

thanx for all advise,

tried the door seal = ok
rear lights = ok
ive checked scuttle panel = ok

i think it could be the heater matrix as when it was wet i turned my car left and right very fast and saw trips falling from below glove department so i think it could be that if so how much do u reckon and is it easy to do. by the way i took off the scuttle panel and i just about got it on but not as tight as before does this matter meaning the seal thing. thanx