URGENT - HELP NEEDED BEFORE IT GETS DARK...

Right, quickly... Doing an oil change, have drained oil, can't get filter off... Never had this trouble before...

Got one of those draper chain tools, tried that... It's poo... Has just scratched & dented the filter but not budged it.

Need a way to get it off, be it a tool or whatever.

Also, it's getting dark so worse case scenario, is there any danger from leaving it with no oil over night? Like, will anything seize?

It'll be fine overnight. A good trick for stuck filters is to stab a strong screwdriver through it and use that as a handle/lever :).

Ha, ha, cross posts.

If this oil filter got cover by oil/dirt then need to wipe these dirt out. It's need to be dry so you can turn with your hand.

Always done it by hand in the past but this one isn't having any of it...

To be stupid but just to check, as anti-clockwise can be either direction depending which way you're looking... It turns towards passenger side yes?

Tried it all JK...

Frank, thats one I've not heard before... Sounds pretty good!

Gonna run halfrauds now... Worth buying a strap tool or anything?

Hall fords do one that's like a captive loop of dimpled steel with a threaded bar with a round handle for tightening it up - mine has never failed me :).

7.png

This all stems from what me and my mate Joe call the 'man way of doing jobs'*. The manual may well say tighten until the sealing gasket touches the engine and then another half a turn.

Any real man will obviously do this and think 'Hmm, that doesn't seem anywhere near tight enough' and crank it down until the body of the filter touches the engine :D.

* Works with weed killer as well. 'Mmm, 1 sachet per gallon of water...' I'll put 2 in, it's bound to work better...

Ha Guy, that's the one I actually went & bought... The filter still put a fight up but got it in the end... Price of it stung a bit tho... £15... But better than 3 jubilee clips for £5! My only qaulm with it is it would be better if the grip on the knob (tee-hee-hee) went all the way round as quite hard to fully tighten or get loose. Either that or if it had a socket on the end or something so you could tighten it up with a ratchet? But hey, got the job done in the end, car running sweet as a nut now!

I don't remember putting it on super tight, but hey, maybe I just don't know my own strength?

One mishap I did have in the darkness was a gust of wind blew when I was pouring the fresh oil in, a big gloop went down the side of the engine casing and onto the belts... :s Wiped it off as best I could, doesn't seem to have caused any problems!?

Tell you what though, I used some engine cleaner, Wayan's is it?, & Im pretty impressed! Never really been one for additives or anything, but as this goes in & comes straight back out I thought I'd give it go... Plus I'd already tested it on the missus' Clio when I serviced that but sush... ;p

Back