Uprated alternator

Hi i have a k11 1.0l and im looking to uprated my alternator as my 60 amp 1 is not man enough for all my speakers (13 atm) dose any one know if the 1.5 desiel one fits or a company in kent area that will uprate mine? Any help would be much appreciated. Sam

the 1.5 D is a peugeot engine sam (so pretty unlikely) the idle speed is the biggest factor on alternator output really

And pulley size :)
not many options to increase the output tho andy (overspin issues)
mine is running about half speed, which is,nt a problem as long as i dont sit in traffic with the headlights/heater/demister etc on
the factory has to design the alternator gearing to cover those conditions (to keep the battery topped up)
so tho only practical way to increase the stock alt output is to raise the idle :)

not many options to increase the output tho andy (overspin issues)
mine is running about half speed, which is,nt a problem as long as i dont sit in traffic with the headlights/heater/demister etc on
the factory has to design the alternator gearing to cover those conditions (to keep the battery topped up)
so tho only practical way to increase the stock alt output is to raise the idle :)
Ah fair point Frank as always :)
Mines at 1200rpm with a slightly smaller pulley. I've a lot of big lights to power :D

Even if i rev my car bouncing off the limiter it still cuts out (on a slightly higher volume) can my existing alt be uprated? If so where?

You must be drawing some serious current. Dunno if you can realistically uprate them - there's only so much space for the coils and you can't use much thinner wire, so your best bet might to try to find a bigger one that fits with minimal modification.

Or stick a genny in the boot ;)

Well there is wellover a grands woth of equipment in there atm my have to invest in a genny, plenty of room for 1 in my engine bay what with having a 1.0l engine lol. Still though i would of thought an almera desiel alt would fit of summin along those lines

It may be possible to fit an Almera or Primera alternator with modification, not sure if they have a larger output or not though...

A bigger battery (or two) and a large capacitor may help you out. Otherwise I know they often run more than one alternator in America (lots of videos on youtube).

The cut out will be the voltage dropping which makes the head unit switch off, this may well be helped with a capacitor or two.

Otherwise ask Tim Westwood, he will probably know...

A bigger battery (or two) and a large capacitor may help you out. Otherwise I know they often run more than one alternator in America (lots of videos on youtube).

The cut out will be the voltage dropping which makes the head unit switch off, this may well be helped with a capacitor or two.

Otherwise ask Tim Westwood, he will probably know...
Love.

You have to consider the engine might not be able to turn it at tickover with a large load on.
As mentioned above a capacitor will keep it going during big loads for seconds but the proper way to do this is to fit twin batterys with a larger alt and dont forget the cables to and from the batterys will need to be increased.
The Micra battery is very small to start with.
With twin batteries the alt will keep them charged and when you draw more current than the alt can supply the batteries will supply this, but they will need time to recover so that means driwing with the load reduced or fitting an alt that can supply at lease 80% of what you need to run the whole car and then one or two batteries to act as back up

I have a 5f cap a lesure battery out of a motorhone in spair wheel hole and managed to fit another battery next to my existing 1, all power cables are 0gauge and when the new alt is fitted they will be ran with 0 gauge

Before you do anything else, check what current you are drawing and what the voltage is when everything is on.
You should if you know how calculate the maximum current and see if your set up will supply this

Back