Unique to FHK11 Cabriolet Convertible

I've had 2 of these cars, the first had such a good heater you could drive with the top down in winter. My current car had a rubbish heater so I followed the pollen filter fix shown elsewhere. Things on this car are slightly different in that there was no plastic cover to cut out (but there was a metal plate held in place by 4 screws, there were 2 pollen filters making it easy to work round the control cable (so you don't need to disconnect it) also they were different shapes and quite large. They were held in place by a spring clip at the bottom.
I couldn't see the point in a pollen filter on a soft top car and I wanted the heater to work as well as possible so I cut out the filter element from the frame with a Stanley knife, now it works so much better!
20150312_163551.jpg
20150312_163545.jpg

Hi mate thx for starting this thread, I very interested in the March Cabriolet and hopefully will be purchasing one in the near future. What year and spec is yours and have you done anymore work on her also please post some more pics!

Thanks for sharing,

Cheers
Andy :)

Hi Andy, these cars were all manufactured in 97/8 as far as I know - like the Figaro. There seems to be some small trim differences, for example my first one had a small storage tray between the seats but my current one has a centre arm rest with some clever rear cup holders though I don't know what was original and what might have been fitted as after market accessories. I can't find any reference to manufacturers options other than auto or manual. I had a new hood fitted at great expense but I couldn't get one (other than from Japan for more money than another car) with a galss rear window. I saved the glass from the old one in case I find somebody who can fit it in the future.

I changed the clutch which was slipping when I accelerated hard. I was delighted to find I could do it without removing the engine, though not quite so pleased to find there was plenty of meat left on the old one just the springs had got weak I guess. I found a standard Micra 1.3 clutch fitted with no problems.
The way I did it was to hang the engine from a beam supported on the top of the wings, split the wheel ball joints on one side and remove the drive shaft nut on the other side which enable the box to be slid sideways far enough to get into the clutch. I guess this is true of all K11s? I've never had a hard top one so can't comment.

Hi,
I have the mitsuoka viewt version of the cabriolet and have been promising to treat it to a hood for the last 6 years! one chap was going to cut out the glass with fabric and stitch it to a new bespoke hood. Another guy used to make a kit with glue to bond the glass in, or would fit at his fitters retirement place! I would be interested to know where you got your hood done but would prefer the glass to transferred tot he new hood. Do you have details of the japanese supplier?
I was also told the drive shafts were 3mm longer than normal, so i got the cv joints rebuilt rather than tenewing the shaft. have you heard of this?
Mines auto and still running ok. Only problem I have is the altenator has gone and I cannot understand how to undo the loom plug connection.
I have bought a pre 1996 alternator as it has the plug socket- hoping they are same connector? can you advise?

Wow, a soft top Viewt, I've long wanted one and I've scoured the jap auctions for a manual one without success in the past. I'd be a bit surprised if the drive shafts are different but then the headlights and many other bits are, including the engine management system so it's possible...but why bother to make the track just 6mm wider? I know the front subframe crossmembers are the same because I welded one into my last car.

When I bought my first convertible March, a mate who runs a garage had just scrapped a 1.3 micra so I thought I'd grab a load of spares off it as it had been run by an old lady who did no miles but had it regularly serviced till it rusted through the rear suspension arms! One of the bits I took off it was the alternator but when I compared it with the March it was smaller - presumably the cooling fan and aircon is on a lot more in Japan so the bigger alternator is to compensate. I didn't look at the connectors but as there are usually only 2 contacts (1 big one to the battery often via a fuse, and 1 small to the ignition light), it shouldn't be too hard to modify. Are you sure the alternator is gone? Alternators usually rely on the current through the ignition warning lamp to start things off, they don't start to charge if the bulb has gone, otherwise I'd take it apart and see if the brushes have stuck.

I got my hood cover from Car hoods Northern ltd, originally they told me they would fit my old glass into the new hood but after they had had the car for a few days they said the new hood came with a plastic back window so it was too late by then. It took them 3 goes to get it waterproof but in the end I was quite pleased with their service. There is a trimming company in sheffield run by a nice polish guy who will make a copy hood and stitch in your old window but they charge the best part of two grand!. To import this car (my 6th import) I used Sayuri for a change to do the Japanese side of things, they offer an after-sales part finder service. I can't remember the exact price but the original Nissan hood supplied by them would have ended up costing around £2.5K after shipping and import tax. Then you still have to fit it which I'm told is not easy. In Japan most people use Japanese Yahoo in stead of ebay, I've known people buy obscure car parts off there using an on line page translator so if you're not desperate you might find one using that rout eventually.

Hi thanks for the reply. Good to know other peoples experiences. I was toying with idea of making a lift off hard top, some styling to rear required.
i am thinking i will get the alternator off and rebuild as necessary. i still have a problem working out how to discnnect the harness plug. it is grey and has 2 wires - live and lamp going to it. i am not sue whether to squeeze, push or slide a screwdriver to spring the side clip off to remove it? any ideas?

Back