ULEZ

This may have been discussed before but I've only just joined the forum, so apologies. We own a K12 - 1.2 auto - on a 54 reg plate. Lovely little motor. We live in London, within the North / South Circular zone. I don't know the car's engine rating (Euro 3 or 4?) and I'm getting conflicting information about whether or not we'll be 'legal' when the extended ULEZ zone kicks in. When I enter our reg number on the ULEZ site it says we're OK but according to posts I've read elsewhere we don't pass the test due to the age of the car. Sorry if you've already done this to death but does anyone know what's going on?

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
This may have been discussed before but I've only just joined the forum, so apologies. We own a K12 - 1.2 auto - on a 54 reg plate. Lovely little motor. We live in London, within the North / South Circular zone. I don't know the car's engine rating (Euro 3 or 4?) and I'm getting conflicting information about whether or not we'll be 'legal' when the extended ULEZ zone kicks in. When I enter our reg number on the ULEZ site it says we're OK but according to posts I've read elsewhere we don't pass the test due to the age of the car. Sorry if you've already done this to death but does anyone know what's going on?
If the Transport for London webpage says it's OK, then as they are administering the zone, I would assume it is OK. My 2005 1.2 K12 shows as OK (only really going to be a problem after 26th October 2021 when the ULEZ gets extended to the North and South Circular roads instead of the current Congestion Charge Zone that currently applies anyway) The people really getting hit will be any diesel owners, where only Euro 6 cars/vans with AddBlue (2016 and newer) are exempt! I don't know if it's common knowledge but a Euro 6 diesel that runs low on AddBlue, once the engine is stopped will NOT restart till the AddBlue tank is refilled, I can see the breakdown services doing a great trade, though it will be a bit of a bugger if you've reached home and haven't got 'Home breakdown' cover......

OP
OP
P
If the Transport for London webpage says it's OK, then as they are administering the zone, I would assume it is OK. My 2005 1.2 K12 shows as OK (only really going to be a problem after 26th October 2021 when the ULEZ gets extended to the North and South Circular roads instead of the current Congestion Charge Zone that currently applies anyway) The people really getting hit will be any diesel owners, where only Euro 6 cars/vans with AddBlue (2016 and newer) are exempt! I don't know if it's common knowledge but a Euro 6 diesel that runs low on AddBlue, once the engine is stopped will NOT restart till the AddBlue tank is refilled, I can see the breakdown services doing a great trade, though it will be a bit of a bugger if you've reached home and haven't got 'Home breakdown' cover......
Thanks for your reply. Yes, TFL say the car is OK now but I've read articles saying they intend to change the qualifying criteria when the zone is expanded. I guess I'll have to wait and see if that happens.

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
Thanks for your reply. Yes, TFL say the car is OK now but I've read articles saying they intend to change the qualifying criteria when the zone is expanded. I guess I'll have to wait and see if that happens.
As you say things may change... My current concern after the zone is expanded is that I will not be able to use my Saab estate to pick up large stuff from Ikea in Tottenham as that will then be a couple of hundred yards inside the zone.:mad: Best decision I ever made was to move out of North London, into Hertfordshire, in the late 1970's. Can still get into London quickly by train (about 30 minutes into Liverpool Street from Broxbourne) and the fare in and a full days travelling around costs me a maximum of about £14 using contactless....:cool:

My son's 1.4 Micra 2002 was automatically exempt on the TFL website, but my 1.0 litre Micra Jan 2001 was not.
Last week I got the certificate of conformity (send V5C reg doc + photo of VIN plate)
from Nissan customer services FOR FREE (last year they wanted £114 for it!)
and it shows NoX level 0.028g/km, well below the EURO4 level of 0.08. I uploaded this
to TFL exemption request on their website and expect to get exemption so I don't have to sell
the car to a buyer outside London next summer.
RESULT!

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
I've had reason to recently drive my 2005 K12 Sport+ Micra into the London Congestion Zone, which is also the current ULEZ Zone. While I had to pay the £15 congestion charge the car was confirmed as compliant with the ULEZ requirements and as such there was no extra charge. This would appear to confirm that if the Transport for London website says a car is exempt, then it is, despite any previous suggestions that year of manufacture was an overriding factor...

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
Nitrous Oxide level is the crunch. Please read the rest of my posts.
I have done, having just done 'the test' with my K12, I was only confirming that your son's K12 is exempt as shown on the TFL website, which appears to 'do what it says on the tin'........... ;)

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
except he has a K11 of 2002 ))
I assumed that '1.4 Micra 2002' was one of the first K12's. K11 wasn't mentioned.......Perhaps TFL made the same mistaken assumption as me? I was attempting to make the point that if TFL says that a particular car is exempt then that is true, no matter what the year of manufacture. I appreciate that in a 'one size fits all' approach, over year of registration, where there is an overlap of change of emission rating on a particular engine by the manufacturers they can also say that a particular car doesn't comply, when in fact it does, as in the case of your 2001 car........(Computer says NO)..........be interested to see if TFL demand a fee for changing the ULEZ rating of your car, when they receive the conformity certificate, wouldn't be like them to miss a trick like that, especially as they have now 'temporarily' made the congestion charge now applicable 24/7 seven days a week, at £15, when, prior to July this year, it was 7am-6pm on weekdays and £11.50, citing COVID-19 as the reason.......

"Transport for London said the number of cars in the zone had returned to pre-lockdown levels amid concerns the numbers could double as people followed orders to avoid public transport.

It is hoped the new hours and higher levy could cut car journeys by a third, reduce exhaust emissions by 11 per cent, and make walking and cycling safer."

On one hand we are urged to avoid public transport because of Covid-19 risks, but then that reduces TFL's income level, can't have that...... Don't you just love politicians!:mad:

I have done, having just done 'the test' with my K12, I was only confirming that your son's K12 is exempt as shown on the TFL website, which appears to 'do what it says on the tin'........... ;)
I assumed that '1.4 Micra 2002' was one of the first K12's. K11 wasn't mentioned.......Perhaps TFL made the same mistaken assumption as me? I was attempting to make the point that if TFL says that a particular car is exempt then that is true, no matter what the year of manufacture. I appreciate that in a 'one size fits all' approach, over year of registration, where there is an overlap of change of emission rating on a particular engine by the manufacturers they can also say that a particular car doesn't comply, when in fact it does, as in the case of your 2001 car........(Computer says NO)..........be interested to see if TFL demand a fee for changing the ULEZ rating of your car, when they receive the conformity certificate, wouldn't be like them to miss a trick like that, especially as they have now 'temporarily' made the congestion charge now applicable 24/7 seven days a week, at £15, when, prior to July this year, it was 7am-6pm on weekdays and £11.50, citing COVID-19 as the reason.......

"Transport for London said the number of cars in the zone had returned to pre-lockdown levels amid concerns the numbers could double as people followed orders to avoid public transport.

It is hoped the new hours and higher levy could cut car journeys by a third, reduce exhaust emissions by 11 per cent, and make walking and cycling safer."

On one hand we are urged to avoid public transport because of Covid-19 risks, but then that reduces TFL's income level, can't have that...... Don't you just love politicians!:mad:
Understood - agreed.
It's about "early adopters", because officially manufacturers only produced to EURO4 (=ULEZ) standard from 2006.
But some started earlier - the question is how much earlier.

I doubt TFL will bother to exempt all the cars of my model registered after mine on the basis of my certificate.
Of course I will write to them to say they should.
After all it means less income for them, and more tatty cars in the Metropolis.
Maybe another member with such a car can check in a few weeks if they have.

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru

Understood - agreed.
It's about "early adopters", because officially manufacturers only produced to EURO4 (=ULEZ) standard from 2006.
But some started earlier - the question is how much earlier.

I doubt TFL will bother to exempt all the cars of my model registered after mine on the basis of my certificate.
Of course I will write to them to say they should.
After all it means less income for them, and more tatty cars in the Metropolis.
Maybe another member with such a car can check in a few weeks if they have.
Strangely my daughters 2003 1.8 Primera P12 shows on the TFL website as being exempt from the ULEZ charge, despite everything that I can find on the net saying it is only Euro3 compliant, work that one out.......:unsure:

Again: it's not the EURO number which counts, it's the NOX.
There was not EURO4 before 2006 (I think), but some cars built before 2006 and marked EURO3 had such
low NOX that they also pass EURO4 and ULEZ, for example K11 1.4 2002 (which TFL sussed by themselves)
and my K11 1.0 2001 which they needed the cert for.
It's in the Venn diagram - remember them))

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
Again: it's not the EURO number which counts, it's the NOX.
There was not EURO4 before 2006 (I think), but some cars built before 2006 and marked EURO3 had such
low NOX that they also pass EURO4 and ULEZ, for example K11 1.4 2002 (which TFL sussed by themselves)
and my K11 1.0 2001 which they needed the cert for.
It's in the Venn diagram - remember them))
I see that the latest (red) V5 documents, issued by DVLA show a NOX emission for the vehicle, though no mention of the EURO rating. My K12 Micra does show 0.031g/km which is well within the 0.08 (Euro4) level demanded for ULEZ exemption.
My 2007 Saab 1.9 diesel estate shows 0.230g/km, which isn't accurate as they haven't taken into account that it was one of the first to be fitted with a particulate filter from new, which makes it at least EURO5 compliant at 0.18g/km maximum. Sadly with the demise of Saab motors in 2011 there is no way of getting the actual NOX levels for the engine, which possibly has achieved the Euro6 standard of 0.08 g/km, in much the same way as the Micra, at 0.031, is far better than the minimum Euro4 standard at 0.08, who knows? ☹

Last edited:
This group is really interesting and flags some good points about emissions.

I have a small issue which hopefully someone in this threat can help with. I've got a Nissan Micra 2000 K11, however I can't find a breakdown of its NOX levels to prove if its compliant with euro 4. I've request a Certificate of Conformity (CoC) from Nissan, who are currently processing the request.

Does anyone know if the CoC confirms the NOX levels? I'll need this to pass onto to TFL regarding compliance with ULEZ (providing its under the NOX limits).