Tyres

So... the work begins. 35mm springs arrived today, courtesy of a very efficient Dragonmaster_uk, so I am officially entering the world of Micra modding :)

I'll be investing in some new alloys soon - probably after winter, as I'll likely put winter tyres on my steelies for the next 4 months. Looking at 16" wheels, with 195/45 tyres.

The Falken ZE912 are looking promising as an option, with good reviews on tyrereviews.co.uk, but I wonder who on here has some experience with them?

Toyo PX4 or T1-R Proxes and Pirelli PZero Nero are also options in the same bracket. We have the Neros on the Brabus, and they are super grippy if a little noisy, but those are 205/40/17s.

Any opinions welcome and encouraged ;)

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
the only opinion i really have on tyres is less is more :p

but in all serious the better quality tyres you can afford then the better.
Like a motorcycle helmet, you get what you pay for.

Also.... picked my wheels :)

Team Dynamics Monza RS 16"

Thanks shaun. Funnily enough I was just looking at the photos of you stretching tyres :p

I know you get what you pay for, these are all in a similar price range, just wondered if people had comments on those particular tyres.

I'd look at 17s, with 205/40s, but concerned about clearance. This site shows them as fitting the CC, but not the standard K12. I know others on here have had problems with the width of the tyres, cba with all that :p

Dragonmaster_uk

K12 NUTTER
R888's, get the hard compound though as the soft dont last for toffee

aren`t the r888`s trackday tyres that are allowed on the road

nice choice of wheels i`ve always liked them but never got round to having them 17`s you will be fine on clearence if you stick to max 7" wide it`s only with me running 7.5 wide rims that i`ve had problems the 7`s that i had before i had no trouble with
which is why the current alloys will be being sold on once i`ve got enough money for two new tyres on the standard wheels then hopefully money allowing i will be able to get some dare dr-rs in 16" next year

to bring it back on topic tyres wise i use toyo t1-r on the standard alloys and yokohama parada spec 2 on the summer wheels
the toyo`s i have no problem in wet snow etc and the car doesn`t aquaplane like it did with the standard continentals and the yoko`s are awesome in the summer but when the autum rain starts falling they get a little slide happy so they`ll be off soon managed to pull off an awesome drift tonight tho ;)

lol drifting not only a FWD, but a Micra no less ;)

The tyres I have atm, which were on the car when I got it, are some cheap and not-so-cheerful Marshalls. Awful things once it's damp. Rock hard rubber too, so practically zero grip in such a light car. Won't have them long now, got some Dunlop SP winters coming.

Dragonmaster_uk

K12 NUTTER
Just out of intrest funky what colour is your k12 somethings making me think blue but i don't know why if i'm right that it's blue then i don't think the red rim would look right but i might be talking garbage an just for your information the standard k12 16" alloys run a 50 profile once mine are back on i'l be running 185/50 front and 195/50 rear

Yeah its blue, click on the link to my site and you'll see it at the top. I did some playing with a blue Micra in Gran Turismo 5 with different wheels, and the red rims looked pretty nice ;)

I might get plain black ones, or possibly white rims. My overall colour scheme is black and blue, hence my car's name... Bruce... like Bruise ;)

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
Yeah its blue, click on the link to my site and you'll see it at the top. I did some playing with a blue Micra in Gran Turismo 5 with different wheels, and the red rims looked pretty nice ;)

I might get plain black ones, or possibly white rims. My overall colour scheme is black and blue, hence my car's name... Bruce... like Bruise ;)
Speaking of your site...
any updates on your internal painting? anything flaked/scratched off yet?

Nah, I did a good job ;)

Actually there are a couple of tiny little marks on the A-pillar covers, which is annoying, but the air vents look lush. But nothing is flaking or peeling, except on the tabs that slot into the dash. Looks good :)

Thinking of getting the top section of the dash flocked.

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
Nah, I did a good job ;)

Actually there are a couple of tiny little marks on the A-pillar covers, which is annoying, but the air vents look lush. But nothing is flaking or peeling, except on the tabs that slot into the dash. Looks good :)

Thinking of getting the top section of the dash flocked.
So would you recommend the vinyl paint over halfords matt black? gotta decide you see. and i am an incredible matt black fan! :grinning:

Me too - not such a fan of gloss.

Yeah I was impressed - one can goes fairly far compared to some sprays I've used, and as long as you shake it nicely the paint goes on smooth, and only took 2-3 coats to make my dash look nice.

I'd always recommend vinyl paint over acrylic for patterned surfaces - it sits over the pattern, rather than hiding it, so it looks like the vinyl/plastic is actually coloured that way and not painted.

It claims on the tin to "penetrate the surface" but... well I don't think it does that :p

I used plenty of paint prep spray with a microfibre cloth before spraying too.

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
My prep on plastics is generally water and scotchbrite. clean off/dry with a microfibre cloth then goes on primer and paint. :)

Guy

Has gone over to the oily side...
Club Member
Plastic's normally covered in mould-release coating Shaun from when it was moulded. You'd be better using a solvent or even washing up liquid. You want to leave the surface chemically clean and oil free :).

^^ what he said. The two little spots of beige showing through my A-pillar covers were caused by the tiniest little bit of dust that found its way onto my hard work. Even a tiny spot of any grease or anything else will leave little marks, which are quite annoying.

Fairy liquid does the job well, but takes time to dry - solvents are almost instantly ready to paint.