Tyres for a K10 - which will fit?

lewic

Ex. Club Member
I could do with new tyres for my K10 - the front ones are a bit worn, although still legal. Garage said theyd be good for another 6 months but I'd rather not take the risk in bad weather.

Someone at work has offered me a couple of almost new tyres in size 165/65R 14. Will they fit an unmodified K10, or will they rub?

It currently has standard size wheels on it (I assume 13"). And if they fit, would I need to get same size for the rear?

Alternatively, the garage suggested Vredestein tyres as being very good, and can fit 2 new ones for £80. Anyone know what they are like, and is that a good price?

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
If your wheel size is 13, then its impossible for 165/65R 14 tyres to fit. The clue here is the 14! thats the size of the wheel.

when it comes to tyres, just make sure they're not budget or remoulds!! Getting the cheapest available could be the worst decision you make, remember its your life at stake!

from personal experience, dont buy Yokohama tyres for the autumn winter seasons as they understeer loads in the wet.

J

JamieGti

Also from experience, put them on the right way if they are directional! :blush:

Kev

Pro Cut Vinyl
Founding Member
Official MSC Trader
K10's are terrible if not dangerous in the wet.... even at low speeds it's very easy to lock up in the wet.

I would highly recommend Uniroyal Rainsports. I had these on both 14" and 15" alloys and it made a huge difference in the wet and they gripped well in the dry too.

Kev

OP
OP
lewic

lewic

Ex. Club Member
Hiya - thanks for all your advice! Should have sussed that 14" tyres would need same size wheels - doh...

Def not going for cheapo tyres, am way too paranoid about this car's safety aspects already.

Am looking to upgrade it to something a bit newer and safer soon, so I dont have to creep round like a wuss!

J

JamieGti

Yeah lewic I just had a look at the Uniroyals feedback! Nothing but praise! lol
Go for it! What's the price though?

OP
OP
lewic

lewic

Ex. Club Member
Uniroyals sounds great, but looked on their website and it looks like they dont do the small size tyres. Anyone know any different?

Pete

Site Supporter
Kev said:
K10's are terrible if not dangerous in the wet.... even at low speeds it's very easy to lock up in the wet.

Kev

Second that, gold one and I ended up sideways several times in teesdale going at fairly slow speeds going round roundabouts.

Did well in the recent torrential rains tho, even with a bow wave and not being able to go over 20 because of the resistance of the water.

Pete

Site Supporter
no no it's not good.

In the dry their tendancy to understeer is good but in the wet they are very unpredictable. The front will slide out, grip, then chuck the rear off 4 wheel slide then whichever grips next is the direction your going to be pointing in. It's not like a RWD car which I know is fun (god bless mitzi shoguns) but be careful.

J

JamieGti

lewic said:
Omigod, youre really scaring me now!! Are K11's much better?
Their fine, don't worry... just don't drive like these guys and you'll be ok! :p
Their all loonies! :laugh:

-Jamie

J

JamieGti

lewic said:
LOL! Thats reassured me a bit...
Vredestein tires have a good write up and they handle well in the wet! They sound like a god price too, so I'd go with those! Good luck,

-Jamie

OP
OP
lewic

lewic

Ex. Club Member
Update:- went to garage today and got the Vredesteins fitted, seems to handle a bit better but havent had a chance to test it out properly. Apparantly the previous owner had put two different sized part-worn tyres on the front - sounds bloody dangerous to me, but the MOT tester didnt spot it, and I thought it would be ok if it had an MOT. Have learned a lot from this, and any other cars I look at will be examined with a fine-tooth comb.........

Turtle

Ex. Club Member
My car has the cheapest tyres I can find, at about £25 each inc fitting...

So theyre probably not best for safety, and ive noticed at speeds above 50mph locking up is pretty easy, and in the wet almost impossible to avoid when braking hard.

Right now the biggest danger is the wet roads after a dry spell (like last night for where I live...) it makes the roads really dangerous.