TYRE & VALVE REMOVAL...

Is it possible to remove a tyre and a valve from a wheel without damaging either and how easy is it? I'm refurbing a set of steelies at the minute, did intend to get the tyres and valves removed but the guy at my local tyre shop wanted £20 to take them off then another £10-£20 to put them back on!... I thought feck that, thats £40 I can spend on paint or something else for the car!...

But now I'm most of the way through stripping them and ready to paint them I'm wanting to do it with all the rubber off for ease of painting and so I can get right around the outside lip... I'm still looking at other tyre places but I was just wondering if I can do it myself?

remove/refit is easy with tyre levers, but breaking the bead is the clincher :)
and tyre places will sell you some new valves np

Edited for slowness. What Frank said. Valves are cheap on the bay too.

Getting tyres off isn't too hard, it's breaking the beads (getting the tyre bead to pop over its retaining ridge on the rim) that is the ballache.

Some advice here:

http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=usetharch&action=display&thread=115874

I've used a big vice in the past to break the bead.
There was a thread on here a couple of days ago that contained some more info, have a search.

If you are going to refit the tyres, mark where the valve was on the tyre with chalk then you can re-fit in the same place and they will still be balanced (unless you have removed the weights :) )

Urghhh! I removed the weights!... Those litle curved metal bits that clip on around the rim? Gone! had to as a full strip was needed... Am I right in saying the valve is attached to the wheel and not the rim? Just don't understand what you mean by marking the valve position?

I could do with new valves anyhow... They're old wheels and the valves appear to be original to them and are impreial... So my lovely new dust caps I bought yeserday won't fit on...

Am I being tight or is £20 a bit much?

Found a nice independant old gent who ofeered £7 a wheel and thats to remove the tyre & valvee and put them back on... much better price! It's a little old local tyre place... and I'm all for helping local business so he will be my tyre man me thinks!...

i know comes in so handy having access to a decent ramp so i dont have to crawl around on the floor :)
Yeah, something I'm getting sick of myself... I have a lovely big drive... which is gravelled so I have to work on the car on the road... next to a busy school. Getting on my nerves a bit!

If I owned the house I'd pave the drive... and dig out an inspection trench too!

Back