Tyre query 185/55 14?

Robb

Site Supporter
Hi all I'm thinking of biting the sensible bullet and just getting new rubber for my 14" standard alloys. They are the usual 165/60 atm but I was thinking of getting 185/55.

Just wondered if anyone has had this tyre setup on standard 14" wheels before as I used to own a set briefly a few years back and can't remember if there is a rubbing issue with the inner arch on this tyre setup?

Was thinking for mot reasons as I just want 1 decent set to keep on the car now and would rather they weren't skinny orrible tyres

I have some CF1's on my 6" wide alloys Rob, lowered 35 mm with no issues, you saw my car on the Cat and Fiddle a few years back ;) I imagine most of the extra 1/2" on my wheels is outwards so standard 5.5" steels should be OK.

I have 185/55R14 Falken ziex 912 on my 14x6'' OZ superturismo rims; imho they are very good for their price; good grip also on wet and very silent

The best (interms of grip) choice in that size probably is yokohama s.drive; other tyres are dunlop sport fast response, toyo cf1; pirelli p1 are new but more oriented to fuel saving

anyway, a 185/55R14 requires min 6'' wheel and max 6.5''

OP
OP
Robb

Robb

Site Supporter
Cheers peeps that be reassuring, they are 5.5 j standard alloys but the set I owned didn't look too wide for the wheel.