twin turbos

detox

euro member!!
ok how do they work?
i have seen some that look like they are 2 in a row(runing off each uther) and uthers that seem to run on with them both separately attached to the manifold!!!

anyone know anything about how they work!!!

and does ED have that guide finish'd on the st will make a good read!!!!

I think there's one system with a smaller and a larger turbo, with the smaller kicking in first then hte larger turbo taking over. Apparently BMW's use this rather successfully. It lowers lag, spool up time, etc.

Then there is twin turbo where 2 equal sized turbos each run half of the cylinders? I think the Supra's, etc run this type of setup.

i thought twin turbos appeared when the fed the the 2 seperate banks of a v6.

Hey, I checked out wikipedia:

Other setups, most notably in V-type engines, utilize two identically-sized but smaller turbos, each fed by a separate set of exhaust streams from the engine. The two smaller turbos produce the same (or more) aggregate amount of boost as a larger single turbo, but since they are smaller they reach their optimal RPM, and thus optimal boost delivery, faster. Such an arrangement of turbos is typically referred to as a "twin turbo" setup.

Some car makers combat lag by using two small turbos (like Toyota, Subaru, Maserati, Mazda, and Audi). A typical arrangement for this is to have one turbo active across the entire rev range of the engine and one coming on-line at higher RPM. Early designs would have one turbocharger active up to a certain RPM, after which both turbochargers are active. Below this RPM, both exhaust and air inlet of the secondary turbo are closed . Being individually smaller they do not suffer from excessive lag and having the second turbo operating at a higher RPM range allows it to get to full rotational speed before it is required. Such combinations are referred to as "sequential turbos". Sequential turbochargers are usually much more complicated than single or twin-turbocharger systems because they require what amounts to three sets of pipes-intake and wastegate pipes for the two turbochargers as well as valves to control the direction of the exhaust gases. An example of this is the current BMW E60 5-Series 535d. Many new diesel engines use this technology to not only eliminate lag but also to reduce fuel consumption and produce cleaner emissions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo

Hope this was interesting for you all, I found it a really good pre-school work read :grinning:

Back