Tweeters are too loud

NeX

You're after my robot bee
Club Member
hi everyone, i have just done a new install in my car, the tweeters drown everything out and make your ears bleed....

the speakers are infinity, they are 90wRMS and go through their own crossover, then amped by a 75wRMS mutant amp.

is there any way to turn down the tweeters without using an equliser on the head unit (it doesn't have one)

i was thinking of either running the tweeters straight off the head unit to drop the volume or chuck them on the full range channel to give them more work...

any ideas?

OP
OP
NeX

NeX

Club Member
most cross overs have a db adjustment for the tweeters, set them to -3 or -6

yep they are on -3db at the moment, but still i cant here the music, its all tweeter and nothing from the woofer, if i turn it up so i can hear the woofer i am deafend by the tweeters,

mike

I love Ed!!!!
Two more questions
What headunit do you have?
Were are the tweeters positioned?

This could be potentially down to have metal tweeters rather than silk ones

Mike

OP
OP
NeX

NeX

Club Member
Two more questions
What headunit do you have?
Were are the tweeters positioned?

This could be potentially down to have metal tweeters rather than silk ones

Mike

the headunit is some dodgy double din 7" touchscreen jobby from ebay, but it does seem to put out reasonable sound.

the tweeters are where the wing mirror adjusters would normally be. i spent along time fitting them there so i really don't want to move them.

the cones i think are silk, the full set cost me £75 and was the second most expensive part of my install. i am tempted to poke them with a pin to check they are silk but i don't want to dent them or put a hole in them.

BG101

Ex. Club Member
Have you tried the -6dB setting? I suspect this would still be to loud, so you may need to add resistors - I'm not sure off the top of my head what impedance tweeters usually are, but assuming they are 4 ohms, you could add one 4.7 ohm 5W across each tweeter and one 2.2 ohm 5W in series with it. The resistor wattages I suggested should be more than adequate as tweeters tend to put out a fraction of the power compared to the midrange/woofer drivers. This should give a total 12dB drop which is approximately 1/16th of the full output.

Don't connect the tweeters across the full-range output, this will probably damage them as they're not designed to handle low frequencies (or high power!)

Hope this helps

>EDIT<
Sorry my maths is s*** I'd probably had too many of these
beer3.gif
lol it should have been -3dB with the resistor mod I quoted plus whatever setting the amp has, not -6dB as I inferred :eek:

BG

OP
OP
NeX

NeX

Club Member
Have you tried the -6dB setting? I suspect this would still be to loud, so you may need to add resistors - I'm not sure off the top of my head what impedance tweeters usually are, but assuming they are 4 ohms, you could add one 4.7 ohm 5W across each tweeter and one 2.2 ohm 5W in series with it. The resistor wattages I suggested should be more than adequate as tweeters tend to put out a fraction of the power compared to the midrange/woofer drivers. This should give a total 12dB drop which is approximately 1/16th of the full output.

Don't connect the tweeters across the full-range output, this will probably damage them as they're not designed to handle low frequencies (or high power!)

Hope this helps

BG

thanks mate, there is no -16db option just -3

the infinity stuff is all 2ohm impedence, i am gonna do a test run with a 10k resistor in series to see what happens,

still its very anoying i have to do this, the Vibe components that i use in my other cars are perfect, but this one isn't its horrible, you just cant here the mid range AT ALL! its all tweet and no bass.

OP
OP
NeX

NeX

Club Member
don't worry people it is sorted now :)

but for the record this is how i did it:

i took a variable resistor and wired it inline with the tweeters, i chose some songs that weren't sounding right and fiddled with the variable resistor until the tweeters were perfect, i then took my multimeter and mesured the resistance across the pot where i had adjusted it to. the meter read 52.2 ohms, or at least i think it is ohms, but anyway it didn't matter because i got some old boards from VCRs and stuff like that and mesured the resistors until i found one of aproximatly the same value (55.0 ohms) i then soldered this in series with the tweeter and now it sounds awesome.

just turned down the gain on the bass box a bit to even the sound and it sounds great :D