tv aerial's

Glenn

Ex. Club Member
I am wanting to get a freeview box for when i go to uni, we dont have an outdoor aerial so can anyone recommend an aerial to me that will pick up freeview, would prefere one from argos as there is one in town so would be easy for me to pick up..

cheers in advance!

make sure the area you are in can accept freeview first.

where i stay on hawshill cannot recieve the signal, we cnt even get cable! but last year when i stayed over at menzies it was fine. city centres can be poop for signal

Apparently i cant get freeview where i live, however i've got it and it works on 90% of the channels. A signal booster will always help for any inside aerial.

all digital TV thats not SKY or cable simply doest have the signal strength to travel far enough for anyone to pcik it up properly..

same situation with DAB radio..... great if your stood still....you move 3 foot and all your channels change..... its poo...digital tv and radio doesnt work....

simple fat that analogue was and is clear enough if you have a correctly placed aerial...........

but i have digital cable anyway.... wich is ok..but if theres any interferance (which there is quite often) it just goes black for about 30 secs at a time...

POO..lol

also picked up some interesting information.....

the bbc had a campaign last year about "students getting a £1000 fine for not having a TV liscence for their TV"

that is correct.... and many students had to stump up the £145 etc for the licence.....

the fact is that...if you took a TV from home....IE your parents TV...it is covered with a TV licence wherever it goes.... including university...
so you dont need a tv licence if its not your TV and the real owner has one allready....
its all in the guide if anyone bothered to read the bloody thing..lol

but yeah...good luck picking it up...

Swallow said:
Thats false. Ive tried signal boosters before, and they only amplify the poor signals hence making the reception worse, so i would stay clear of amplified aerials from my own experience.

Yeah, As I understand it the signal boosters are only any use when you have LOTS of wire going from one end of the house to the other... not only for when your in a poor reception area.

Well our normal TV is quite poor, in a state where you cant see anything but grainy pictures and the aerial is attached to the TV probably on a 1 meter cable if that. When you switch the booster on, the quality is so much better! Im also talking from experience that they work fantastically well.

Arnold said:
Well our normal TV is quite poor, in a state where you cant see anything but grainy pictures and the aerial is attached to the TV probably on a 1 meter cable if that. When you switch the booster on, the quality is so much better! Im also talking from experience that they work fantastically well.

Im talking about digital Tv and your talking about analogue!

a booster will be fine on analogue but not digital

I agree that when ever you amplify a signal you amplify noise as well but in my experience signal boosters that say they support freeview do make a difference.

There not a miracle cure but can help boost signal from jittery to watchable, especially when dealing with signal loss from long cable runs.

The freeview site is rubbish apparently I can’t get freeview, but I can.

I think my M8 had a powered ariel from Argos that had built in booster which picked up freeview fine, don’t know if they still do it. It had two or three pull out ariels.

sky do some pretty good student deals

we're getting it in our flat for £70 for the year, and its on a nine month contract as opposed to a 12 month one so we arent paying for it when we're at home for the summer

With digital its all about the SNR (signal to noise ratio).....you want more signal and less noise. If you boost/amplify this then quite often the noise will increase, and the SNR will actually go down, which is bad.

However, a decent masthead amplifier installed correctly (although aimed at proper 'outdoor' aerials) should help improve things, as much of the noise is avoided due to the amp being installed as close to the aerial as possible.

Also, use shielded satellite cable where possible to prevent noise introduction into the system.

antony, yes digital doesnt have that much power allocated to it at the moment, but thats simply because it cant, as analogue still takes priority. Digital covers about 80% of the country, and with a decent aerial installation, nearly all these people should be able to pick it up.

We're in an area where Freeview is apparently not available, but I installed a wideband aerial, masthead amplifier and shielded cabling and am now able to pick up 90% of the available channels.

Edit: Sky is rubbish, most of the channels are tosh.

Back