Turbos

Went to look on page but came up blank!If i did get it remapped how much would a turbo be fitted by yourself?Cheers Ben

Ok for some reason its halfway down a very long page in internet explorer...

Ben, having a turbo just fitted doesnt come cheap. You would be looking at at least around £2.5K, and since everyone is different I really cannot be more accurate.

I will sort out that page shortly, howeve do let me know if you still cannot view anything on that page...

I mainly deal with peformance turbos, since standard turbos are easy to come by, however you should start looking at a Garret T2, which on a K11 1.3 has amazing response, and go from there. For high power options you want look at a GT25R. This offers more than enough for even a fairly heavily modded CG13.... As for prices, The GT25R is around £700. These are I must point out brand new units, not exchange rebuilt and

Ed

please re-read my post! as for a normal T2, I will have to get back to you with a price if your interested.

No problem I actually added it after - you wernt going mad :)

Turbo ON 160 SR

Hi Ed as a new member its great to find someone that dosent find it such a silly idea to have a turbo fitted on a micra, is it possible you could let me know roughly where you are based only i'm deffinatley interested in having a T2.5R fitted and havent pursued it in fear of being laughed at or if you know of someone like minded in my area Im based in Surrey by the M25

At the moment, I am unable to take on a full project as I already have a couple going. My advice however is that if you are truly interested in a decent turbo setup that you put aside £3-3.5K for a basic T2 conversion, and get back to me soon.
Please note that a GT25R turbo for example is a beast, and as such standard engine internals would not take that kind of power relaibly, so forged pistons/conrods would need to be invested in, if done right you would be looking at easily in excess of 200bhp from this, as opposed to around 130 ish from a standard T2, but to really make the system work to its ultimate potential would require quite some changes to the car such as the following:

GT25R setup
*Full 2 inch turbo back exhaust + cat (if you ever want to pass another MOT) ~£4-700+
*Forged engine internals + rebuilt bottom end. ~£2K
*Turbo ~£700
*Manifold ~£350
*Intake pipework + Intercooler ~£500 (consider charge cooler)
*e-Manage ECU + remap ~£500
*Uprated brakes to GTIR spec ~£300
*Nismo paddle clutch
*Removal + refitting + rebuild labour inc parts ~£1200-1500
Rough est bhp ~220

You might want to sit down before you add that lot up..
Yes it sounds madness, but there are no compromises in that example it would be one of the most powerfull K11s in existance.
The point being there however is YES you could do it for much much less, but you would loose out in one way or another.
For example stick with standard engine, and put a thick head gasket on it (nasty) and save about £1700.. I would not guarantee it to anything more than 6psi however. Yes people have done more, alot more, but then many have gone bang. Its simply a matter of time. If you cut down a simple spec system, with limited potential you get the following:

T2 setup
*Stock exhaust with modified down pipe. ~£150
*Thick headgasket ~£200
*Turbo ~£200 (about the price you can get a decent one for second hand if your lucky)
*Manifold ~£350
*Intake pipework + Intercooler ~£500 (consider charge cooler) this doesnt change much - its worth doing right regardless.
*e-Manage ECU + remap ~£500
*Uprated brakes to GTIR spec ~£300
*Nismo paddle clutch ~£300
*Removal + refitting + rebuild labour inc parts ~£800-1200
Rough est bhp ~120 ish (dont forget though a MASSIVE increse on torque, so midrange it would wipeout any NA K11.)
About half the price, for about half the power..

Anyway that gives you an idea of what to expect to pay.. etc

Thanks for the estimates Ed 3,5K for a pssible 200bhp micra sounds like a bargain just need to talk the financial advisor (her indoors) as to wether I would go the whole hog or just go for the T2 setup the best thing to do is to contact me when you arent so busy many thanks
.Antony.

3.5 k really tempted to get a loan, 200bhp in a micra,would love pulling away from people that would sit and laugh at ya,wud be quality to see there faces!Think i would look at getting a lower mileage sr or super s micra if i get it done cause ive got 91 k on the clock at the mo!

Holdon guys! The 3.5K is for the T2 setup not the GT25R!! The T2 would get around 130, but dont be put off by it sounding small, that in a Micra would seriously fly, not only because of the more power but due to the huge increase in torque.

i would LOVE to do this, but its cheaper to just buy a faster car. Maybe when im making full time money ill buy a micra again and turbo it :)

Based on my personal experience I would expect a 1/4 mile time to be a low to mid 15, and a 0-60 of around 7-7.5. The thing is with a T2 it would be a very very drivable car. I have driven K11 turbos with a T2 and the response was just out of this world, infact it was much much nicer to drive than my ST even though it had about 60bhp less.

hey ed, you havent touched on fuelling, are u able to modify/build a custom fuel rail, (sr20det), so u can use bigger injectors, i would be definately interested, at the mo my cars on hold with a dodgy gearbox.

there is ALOT ive not started on yet :) specify precisely what you would want and what for and Ill see what can be done.

do you full turbo kits then for the K11 Prefacelift? and how much. Dont need a big powerful turbo. just enough to see my 100bhp Engine hitting 150bhp+

Forget this Just read up proper haha! didnt see page 2

nice one theres a proper antony on here besides me...

and the prices can be got for cheaper and still have a proper setup..

Pulsar brakes, £55 delivered,
Emanage ECU £200, +£200 mapped (ish)
intercooler £130
Garret T2 second hand £95, +£50 service kit
manifold cut and re-welded £75
nissan 1.6 injectors (£10-£30 each)
full exhaust...... (janspeed backbox £155, Powerflow centre section £100, nissan 200SX T2 downpipe off ebay £100)

wheels and tyres £250

Lowering springs £110

etc etc

shop arroundfwn

Dont expect to beable to service a turbo yourself, or at least stand any chance in it being balanced after. To be fair you could try to do it for the price above but it would be a real bodge, and you have missed loads out.

would u care to elaborate please on wat we have missed, be goos to have a "how to" thread on turbo tho too much work involved eh?

thanks alot ed :D

EDIT :- the 130bhp u stated above for the T2 setup was this at fly or wheels?

Flywheel, I'm afraid I dont have time to make a how to guide, there is allot involved, all of which can be found out yourself with a little research.

sorry u misunderstand, i was not asking u for a how to guide only a recommendation for 1 in the club.

i know u are very busy, maybe jus keypoint that need to be considered?

thanks ed

stephen

members only for the micra pete guide tho i am a member as of an hour ago n i have found it since then :D

thanks alot doc

pepper

What do you mean? Is it possible to turbo a CR12 engine?

Hi Ed

I too have been thinking of a low boost setup for my K12 Micra.

Maybe a ported head too as a look inside showed me that there is a huge margin for improvement of flow.

Anything really as nobody seems to bother with old fashioned tuning as they just wind up the boost instead and i know from my Bikes and older cars that there are huge gains to be had.

Anyway if you have any ideas let me know mate.

Regards
Rick

i would have thaught that with most of the engines in the k12 being the renault lumps that there are plenty of kits available only listed for the clio.

may be wrong though..lol

I know the 1.5 diesel is a Renault unit
I don't think the CR12DE 1240cc petrol is Renault based

I might be wrong

Regards
Rick

the renault 1.2 engine post 1997 to present is the D4F and is 1149cc not 1240cc so not the same at all

Regards
Rick

Back