turboing ma10 engine?!

hi everyone i'm new to the club, i've recently put a 5speed micra engine into my austin mini and was wondering if anyone has good info on turbo-ing this carb'd engine thanks alot!

Well a version of the MA10, was used in the Nissan figaros, the MA10ET (I think) which was 1 litre engine running with a small turbo kicking out around 75bhp.

Here's a pic of a figaro engine:
Engine2.jpg

I can't really think of anyone here which has done the MA10 to turbo conversion, but I may be wrong. Interesting choice of engine to put in a mini, any reason for this? Please show some pictures, I do have a soft spot for the old minis!!! Real minis!!

aye the MA10ET has 76bhp and no intercooler so with and intercooler and a bit of extra boost you'd get some good power from that.

the standard ma10 lump is something most on here don't understand and write off for the ma12 with has 5-10 extra over the ma10 and about 10-12 extra ft/lb of torque. the ma10 would be best for turboing as it is alot stronger than the ma12 hence why nissan use it for the MA10ET application.

however i believe the ma10ET engine has a uprated gearbox (the manual one which is found on the micra turbo, which is very very rare) and an automatic 3 speed on the figaro, and no doubt uprated internals.

my ma10 is currently running on bike carbs and easily putting out equal power to the figaro and at a fraction of the cost so it maybe worth considering that, its not hard to get good power from the ma10 lump without forced induction :)

The MA10ET (above) and MA09ERT engines both used fuel injection, so you'd have to convert the fuel system for a turbo. I can't imagine a carb turbo system would work all that well.

You'd probably need an ECU or some sort of computer in there with the turbo setup.

some shots of the engine.....

so wat i gather from turboing a carbd MA10 is that i'm better off upgrading the carb and manifold and dropping on probly a 4 2 1 header to see better gains!
the carb and manifold is really badly designed for peak hp and the exhaust manifold seems restrictive esp wit the cat. i noticed the inlet ports are at a strange angle before entering the chamber too!
post-7710-1189262345_thumb.jpg

post-7710-1189262133_thumb.jpg
[/IMG]

What boost does the MA10ET run? I should think it has to be low as the compression is 9.5:1 or 10:1, though I could be wrong

reason for turbo question

this is the engine that i had before the ma10, its a 16v toyota 4e engine. apparently twice the hp of the ma so i'm feeling cheated!
post-7710-1177167140_thumb.jpg

post-7710-1189192055_thumb.jpg

The MA10 really isn't a performance engine. Although you've gone through the effort of fitting one, you'd probably be better of ripping it out and fitting the CG13 from a K11. Much more power & potential

Curious though, how easy was it to change the engine from one to the other? Any issues with wheel hubs, drive shafts, mounts etc!?

The MA10ET (above) and MA09ERT engines both used fuel injection, so you'd have to convert the fuel system for a turbo. I can't imagine a carb turbo system would work all that well.

You'd probably need an ECU or some sort of computer in there with the turbo setup.

arnold what about renault 5 gt turbo and the metro mg turbo they all used a single carb and ive none some of the ren 5 gt turbo to be up around 300bhp

why dont you just use all the metro mg turbo stuff it all fits on the a+ engine
i wouldn't bother with any of the ma engines in a mini..try the honda crx vtec like this one just the same amount of work involed but a better engine
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/honda-130bhp-1-6-dohc-16v-engine-and-ancillaries_W0QQitemZ260158540900QQihZ016QQcategoryZ10386QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

don't feel too cheated, the MA10 is 50 BHP and the 4efe is around 75 BHP from a starlet on injection, so its only half as much again ;) not sure what it would run on a carb tho.

looks weird having the toyota engine in the wrong way round!

so wat i gather from turboing a carbd MA10 is that i'm better off upgrading the carb and manifold and dropping on probly a 4 2 1 header to see better gains!
the carb and manifold is really badly designed for peak hp and the exhaust manifold seems restrictive esp wit the cat. i noticed the inlet ports are at a strange angle before entering the chamber too!

spot on mate the inlet is the most restrictive part of the entire engine! swap that out and your looking at anywhere upto a 20bhp gain and get a 4-2-1 and a slightly more aggressive cam and you'll get a very nice power figures from it pietro has 94bhp from his 1.2 with these mods and a few other bits and bobs, damn good power for such a small engine.

this is the inlet setup i have on my ma10 atm, cbr 600 bike carbs shed loads more torque something to consider;
DSC00618.jpg

Back