Turbo rebuild

pork

Club Member
Anyone recommend a decent rebuild company?

I wanna send ths turbo iv got off to a pro to check it over and rebuild it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
Yeah, that I t gunna happen. I've tried dismantling it, with heat, several large hitting items, long bars, I was gunna rip the vice from the table before it came apart. So if I give it to a professional company, they must h ave 'ways' to do this

Only pad £20 for it so if it costs couple of 100 to have a fully functioning rebuilt turbo, I think it'll be worth it :)

Turbo Technics are the ones that immediately spring to mind or maybe Midland Turbo. Sadly not had turbo experience myself :(

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
Neither have I. Thing is, this seems to be ok, to me, could be a dud. But so could any other second hand turbo.

Does it spin up ok? Any shaft play? May be worth giving it a go 'as is' and taking it from there. Cant you tell I'm a tight ass yorkshireman! :D

SirChris

Educated Bodger
Does it spin up ok? Any shaft play? May be worth giving it a go 'as is' and taking it from there. Cant you tell I'm a tight ass yorkshireman! :D
I am a cheap ass south east man....???? that count? yeah no play, mean go play. Bitches love a solid shaft with no give init

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
I would give it a go as is......but need to reconfigure it so the oil feeds are pointing the correct ways.....but can't budge the thing :D

Or jus buy another second hand turbo

Aaaaaahhhh

Everything's all coming together, and parts are being made to suit this turbo, (or another like it)

Gotta start building all parts up soon and want everything in working order before I do

I would give it a go as is......but need to reconfigure it so the oil feeds are pointing the correct ways.....but can't budge the thing :D

Or jus buy another second hand turbo

Aaaaaahhhh

Everything's all coming together, and parts are being made to suit this turbo, (or another like it)

Gotta start building all parts up soon and want everything in working order before I do

Ah, sorry, didnt realise you needed to clock it. Thought you just wanted to make sure it operated correctly :oops:

SirChris

Educated Bodger
Ha ha, dont start me on the north/south divide! ;)
south side is de best
ali-g-indahouse--20041109101628289.jpg

Clocking is easy enough, unbolt the waste gate bracket, using some good quality circlip pliers remove the big circlip (on the inlet side) turn the turbo to where you want it

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
Clocking is easy enough, unbolt the waste gate bracket, using some good quality circlip pliers remove the big circlip (on the inlet side) turn the turbo to where you want it

Yup, got that far, will it turn...... Nope, I'm no wuss when it comes to 'persuading' things either

frank

Club Member
All together now.............."FRANK!!!!!" ;)
nah, paul is the turbo rebuild expert, i just shelve the knackered one and try another turbo lol
Yup, got that far, will it turn...... Nope, I'm no wuss when it comes to 'persuading' things either

if it wont budge after a week soaked in thin oil, i think i would give up personally :)

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349125751.173566.jpg

Ok, on the exhaust side, all there is, is a bloody great c clip, biatch to remove, and that's it, no bolts, nothing, and won't budge

pollyp

Club Member
suppose different makes use various ways to secure the housings. that turbine c-clip looks like a bugga to remove.
i remember that the inlet housing c-clip was so stiff, i had to squeeze the pliers in a vice to remove the clip.

anyway once removed, give a good douse of oil to soak, them hot turbine housings usually seized/fused on over the yrs.

then give the housing afew taps with a metal hammer equally from all sides (otherwise if you whack just on one side it'll just wedge/jam stuck) so secure the turbo core on vice or lay it on the floor, tap the housing with hammer at 12 -> 6 -> 9 -> 3 -> 10 -> 4 -> 2 -> 8oclock repeat. if its still stuck, heat up the turbine housing equally all round with a blowtorch so it expands abit looser on the turbo core, then repeat banging.

you'll see it nudges abit when it begins to break free. take care not to catch n ding the turbine blades on the housing when it comes off

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
Right, got it apart. To a lot of hitting!

Doesn't really seem worth the effort now tho. Opinions please

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349279458.018619.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349279489.041814.jpg

Loads of crud came out with this which you can see on the table
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349279508.158510.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349279573.558847.jpg

This was what's left of plate behind turbine

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349279590.225414.jpg

Few chunks gone
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349279639.992287.jpg

Compressor is ok
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349279670.375285.jpg

So what do you think? Scrap it?

frank

Club Member
the shaftplay is the key really pork, if its minor and that backplate was catching because it was loose ? then clean it and use it, but if the wear on the backplate is due to shaftplay then you have to weigh up whether to spend 50+ on an ebay repair kit, or source a better turbo eh

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
I could wiggle it a bit from side to side, but I have no basis of comparison as this is the first turbo I've had in my hands

So kits are only £50 , so that plus the £20 it cost to buy, still less than most other turbos out there

But how long would it last? :/

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349282176.378540.jpg

Not sure if you can see, but there's a few little chunks out of it

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
I could wiggle it a bit from side to side, but I have no basis of comparison as this is the first turbo I've had in my hands

So kits are only £50 , so that plus the £20 it cost to buy, still less than most other turbos out there

But how long would it last? :/

Looks repairable to me :) how long would it last..... that depends on the quality of the rebuild kit and how much abuse you give it

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
New turbine shafts are £75 ish

So £75, £50 kit...... Hmmm

Spose it's cheaper than a professional rebuild. If I do it right :D

Or stop being a tight ass and look for newer one

Its all good experience and you'll know its done right. If you buy another used turbo it may be just as bad once you strip it. Plus you can do a 'turbo rebuild how to' for anyone else that may want to go blown :D