Turbo problem causing missing coolant?

Baz

Ex. Club Member
Could worn seals in a turbo cause a loss in coolant and smoke at high rpm when throttle is closed?and when I open the throttle slightly a huge amount of smoke cmes from the exhaust?

Yep if it's coolant cooled turbo baz I've binned a turbo before for leaking, defo White smoke? Blue could mean the turbo oil seals have gone

It sounds more like a combination of 2 things to me.

loss of coolant could be turbo seal, and so can smoke with throttle open. smoke with throttle closed is more often a valve stem seal problem.

If I had both i would pull the turbo and have it checked/rebuilt (and high flowed at the same time because I am an idiot). Cheap and external. But it's unlikely to be the only problem so maybe the motor needs looking at. Probably worth doing a compression and leak down test, and also a coolant sniffer test for head gasket leak.

It sounds more like a combination of 2 things to me.

loss of coolant could be turbo seal, and so can smoke with throttle open. smoke with throttle closed is more often a valve stem seal problem.

If I had both i would pull the turbo and have it checked/rebuilt (and high flowed at the same time because I am an idiot). Cheap and external. But it's unlikely to be the only problem so maybe the motor needs looking at. Probably worth doing a compression and leak down test, and also a coolant sniffer test for head gasket leak.

Thanks Duncan great info, I remember before I fitted the hybrid I had a small puff of smoke on gear changes so you probably right about the valve stem oil seals ,I know she has low compression on Cylinder number 1. I'll get the turbo done because I think Ed had 60k miles on it before I did my 40k kms lol:laugh: so well due a build.
I have the turbo off the car but before I took it off I took it for a drive I havnt drove since March, I have been driving a Subaru Impreza with the guts off 300hp and 300lb/ft of torque and I have to say the march still puts a huge huge smile on my face:grinning:
The car is being stored in a shed in the irish country side wth some serious "rally stage" style roads, the march suited well to these with it being light and coilovers soaking up the rough stuff. Very capable little car this, would put alot of cars to shame on tight back roads , only problem being putting the power down in wet conditions:grinning:

lol I know the problem....too many projects! I've just got my stagea (skyline station wagon) back with a fresh 3.0l motor and high mount turbo. 300+kw at the wheels so about 400hp at the wheels or 500+hp at the engine. It's 1700kg but it still flys.

stagea_34_rims.jpg

stagea_2530.jpg

Anyway...enough off topic, I hope you get it sorted. If you already know you have a compression problem it makes a head gasket issue more likely as the cause of coolant loss.

My March is on the back burner at the moment, it will be at leas ta few months until it is back. Classic little car though, and it makes me laugh every time it comes on boost ;)

lol I know the problem....too many projects! I've just got my stagea (skyline station wagon) back with a fresh 3.0l motor and high mount turbo. 300+kw at the wheels so about 400hp at the wheels or 500+hp at the engine. It's 1700kg but it still flys.

stagea_34_rims.jpg

stagea_2530.jpg

Anyway...enough off topic, I hope you get it sorted. If you already know you have a compression problem it makes a head gasket issue more likely as the cause of coolant loss.

My March is on the back burner at the moment, it will be at leas ta few months until it is back. Classic little car though, and it makes me laugh every time it comes on boost ;)

You using an rb25 head and a rb30 block? If you were going to do that why didn't you use a rb26 head? I'd of imagined you'd get a lot more than 400whp with that type of work, my rb25det was running 400bhp with very minor work
Also that stagea is nice, would look nice with a r34 front end swap! As I see you already heave the rims

ahh well the rb26 head might give more power, but I already had the rb25 head on the motor that was coming out (and all the loom/ECU etc) so I just re-used it. It is just a tow car afterall ;)

And yes there are a few r34 front stageas getting around here, and I reckon they look great......but same answer, it was always meant to just be a tow car!

Ah right, I'd love to build a 1000bhp one! Imagine peoples faces pulling up next to a Ferrari or lambo getting owned by an old Nissan estate car!!

Back