Turbo oil feed

frank

Club Member
ebay T piece ? 1/8" bspt probably, and its not alongside the filter like CG,s, so no problems with busting it while filter changing on yours :)

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
Cool, got endless supply of pneumatic and hydraulic fittings at work for free. Il crack on with it next week and get a hose made up :) thanks

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
Oh yeah, also what about the water feed ports, can I jus plug those, or do they need plumbing in?

pollyp

Club Member
water feeds not essential (its mainly to reduces heat soaking/coking of the oil in the turbo after shutdown) and saves alot of plumbing hassle too. just common sense to always drive gently off-boost for the last few mins to let the turbo cool down after a long hard run before shutting off.

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
Recieved my oil feed kit today, it comes with a an4 bolt on flange, my turbo can't use this so I've had to get an an4 to 1/8 npt nipple
My question now is, the flange in the kit has a tiny hole, to restrict to much oil I guess, so will I have to make a restrictor in between the turbo and the new nipple I'm having to fit?

frank

Club Member
i,ve always relied on the shaft bearings to restrict the oilflow neil, tho thats probably subject to shaft wear eh

frank

Club Member
i prefer the head tapping further upstream (dunno if MA,s have one) i just checked the 5th journal of my cams (the last in the line of oil supply) and they,re fine, checkout my dizzy drive slot cutting :))

PB190351.JPG

OP
OP
pork

pork

Club Member
I know have this, oil scavenge pump

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358529467.463690.jpg

So I can now return oil to anywhere, I was thinking of using the dipstick hole, but where I'm thinking of mounting the pump, doesn't relly leave that option open.

So where else can I return it to? One of the breather holes on the rocker cover?

I will at some point tap into the sump, but I can't yet as I'm stuck on stupid driveway! And can't take it of where it is.

So I'm open to your suggestions

The breathers on the rocker cover are to vent crankcase pressure are they not? If this is the case would there not be a conflict of interest between pressure out-oil in?? :confused:

frank

Club Member
i forget where the breathers are on an MA tbh neil, CG,s have 2 or 3 iirc, and as long as you dont use the one with the pcv valve in (1 way valve) it should,nt matter really :)

pollyp

Club Member
dunno if the MA and CG has the same cover layout but here's inside a CG cover
http://www.micra.org.uk/threads/pollymobiles-rebuild.35251/page-67#post-537731

scaled.php

the front port allows crankcase vapours to be sucked through the one-way PCV at the back into the inlet manifold during high vacuum. not suitable for oil drain.

the rear corner PCV breather port flows both ways:
during high vacuum, ambient air is sucked through the airbox PCV filter, through the cam cover, into the top of the cam area, down the timing chain passage, into the crankcase, back up the front pipe into the front port of the cam cover, past the PCV and into the inlet to burn the collected vapours.

during zero/+ve inlet pressure and +ve crankcase pressure from blowby (e.g.under high load), the excessive oily crankcase pressure flows out the open PCV breather port.

again dunno if the MA works the same as the CG but suggestions for where to plumb the oil drain are:
  • dipstick (mentioned not possible)
  • crankcase breather port at front of block with the cam cover front port blocked (so will lose some crankcase vacuum and vapour scavenging)
  • drill a port into the side of the cam cover/upper portion of engine head to drain into the top of the engine with the camshafts etc
  • drill a port into the top of the filler cap?