Turbo 1.0 help

Hi guys,
I have a 2000 1.0 k11 dizzy. I am seriously considering turboing this little gem. I am in N.Ireland and 1.3 engine are like hens teeth... I am on a budget so was thinking of the old 5th injector set up? Is this something needed for these k11’s or is that overkill if only running 5psi?
I believe what I need is the following:
Turbo
Manifold
Intercooler and piping
FPR
Bleed valve

Running on a stock Ecu will I need a 5th injector for more fuel?
Is a thicker head gasket required?

Any advice is very welcome :)

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

you could use a rising rate fuel reg to compensate for the bigger injectors andrew, or even try constricting the area around the maf so that it reads a higher value, and 5psi would be fine on super unleaded and some spark retard, but you will only gain about 25hp tho (as you can see on this power comparison chart half way down the page) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_H_engine
you could gain a lot more power if you pick a big turbo that is still within its compressor map when the engine is at 8k rpm, but it would be very laggy tho

Hi Frank, thanks for your reply. Is using a rrfpr instead of changing the injectors and adding a 5th? I read another turbo build on here were he used a Vortech rrfrp 6:1. Is this what I would need or just the likes of an eBay rrfpr would be ok? I’m not looking for massive gains to add too much pressure to the engine as I want to keep this car, so 5-7 psi would be perfect ? by spark retard do you mean close the gap slightly? Is the dizzy ecu a self learning type like the coil pack? Thanks again for your help.

the fmu type reg has a bigger diaphragm mate, which has a stronger effect on the fuel reg spring (pressure) which means that you can drop the idle fuel pressure to about 2 bar (less overfueling from the bigger injectors) and it also cranks up the fuel pressure when boosting too (4 bar ish)
the typical adjustable ebay fuel reg only drops the fuel pressure by half a bar (same as the stock one does) because the rubber diaphragm is smaller
and retard the spark by turning the dizzy forwards
and no the dizzy ecu is,nt self learning like the coilpack one, but a 1.3 or 1.6 ecu may have a more forgiving sparkmap

Ok I understand what you mean, so the rrfpr is definitely the way to go then with 1.6 injectors. Sorry I was being stupid, of course you meant retard the spark with the dizzy! So for fueling on this budget build I’m looking at bigger injectors, rrfpr, retard the spark and 1.3 or 1.6 ecu if needed? The rest is just the bolt on bits and bobs... I believe the gt15 would be an good wee turbo for low boost like this? Sorry for all the questions Frank, this is the first time I’ll be turboing a na car. I’ve had a couple of Silvias with sr20det’s but that was all handy changing bits...

Ok I understand what you mean, so the rrfpr is definitely the way to go then with 1.6 injectors. Sorry I was being stupid, of course you meant retard the spark with the dizzy! So for fueling on this budget build I’m looking at bigger injectors, rrfpr, retard the spark and 1.3 or 1.6 ecu if needed? The rest is just the bolt on bits and bobs... I believe the gt15 would be an good wee turbo for low boost like this? Sorry for all the questions Frank, this is the first time I’ll be turboing a na car. I’ve had a couple of Silvias with sr20det’s but that was all handy changing bits...
Ryb on here will be a major help too, he currently has a 1 litre turbo on coilpack but has done a dizzy one too

Sent from my SM-G903F using Micra Sports Club mobile app

yes a gt15/17 for 80 to 120 hp andrew (depending which compressor wheel you pic) i prefer the td025 personally, which have a similar range of about 5 different compressor wheels available, here are a couple that i have for a project, that were hybrid,d and tested on my van, with compressor wheels from a rover 2.0d and a hyundai 2.0d

WP_20180522_15_51_30_Pro.jpg

yes a gt15/17 for 80 to 120 hp andrew (depending which compressor wheel you pic) i prefer the td025 personally, which have a similar range of about 5 different compressor wheels available, here are a couple that i have for a project, that were hybrid,d and tested on my van, with compressor wheels from a rover 2.0d and a hyundai 2.0d

View attachment 57206
Brilliant thanks Frank, you’ve been such a good help! I’ll have a look into some turbo options. Do most people use the stock manifold and make an adaptor for the turbo to bolt into where the cat was?

Back