• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

TriNode's GX

TriNode

Ex. Club Member
Thought I may as well post about my Micra,

It's a 1997 1.3GX just short of 22K on the clock.

Here it is almost as I got it, only changes then were alloys and a pioneer ipod headunit and JBL sub:

Then A tile fell off the (house) roof, huge dent on the (car) roof and a line of scratches, bumps pushed out leaving the paintwork

to sort, which I had a go at myself..

Quite happy with the results on the roof and finally calmed down about it, got a private plate and CRUNCH (Gutted, that wall came out of nowhere, honest! ):

Damn it, so off it went to the bodyshop:

I got them to sort out this bumper I found at a local scrappy too:

Original Bumper:

New Bumper sprayed and fitted:

An ebay £30 spoiler:

A miracle happened and I saw the dash pod on ebay, when looking for a spoiler / tail lights:

Original water filled tail light:

New ones (these required re-wiring):

ooh, forgot to add, wind deflectors, you can see in the pic with the new bumper if you enlarge it.

That about sums it up for now, planning to make some light brows and perhaps change the filter and backbox, nothing too drastic as yet.

Still thinking of other more subtle mods, any suggestions?

- Anthony

Swiper

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
looking good matey,
i'd remove the black bump strips from the side of the car, it makes it look 'cleaner'.
personally, i'd try and get a super s rear spoiler and possibly, rear bumper to match the front one.
also try dismantling your headlights and painting insides black

Attachments

• 20012007045.jpg
    20012007045.jpg
    566.3 KB · Views: 319

JayY

Owner of The Black Beauty
Looks good. Mate, how did you re-wire the lights? i have the newer ones, i have had to weg the old bulb holder in the lights

OP
OP
TriNode

TriNode

Ex. Club Member
look at the new bulb holder for a metal bit that connects to all the bulbs, that's ground (I think that pin was already in the right place), then all the others have metal bits which relate to a pin (tail / brake has 2), note which pin is for what.

I rewired the car, not the lights, so now my car won't work with old lights

To take the pins out of the plug, look at it from the back (where the wires go in) on the side you will see a notch, get a tiny screwdriver and lift the side of it, repeat on the other side. Then (making sure the lights are off) use it to release the clips holding each pin in (put it down the front of the plug along the pin) There may be a special tool for this, but I didn't have one.

turn on your headlights, making sure none of the pins touch, or you'll blow the fuse.

using a multimeter or bulb,test all the combinations of wires for 12v / making the bulb light.

Once you've found 2 that do that, take one of them and check if there's voltage between it and the boot catch, if not then that one's ground, if there is than the other is ground (check the other too, to be sure).

now you know which is tail and which is ground, put the ground one in the pin which connects to the metal which goes to all the bulbs, and the tail one to the one which leads to the top bulb.

turn off the headlights, and turn on the indicator, test for voltage between the boot catch and the remaining wires, then put it in the pin that has metal that leads to the indicator...

repeat for fog, brake and reverse (you'll need someone to push the brake and keep the clutch in if you've got to test for reverse...)

One thing I did wrong was the brake / tail lights have two wires, if you get them the wrong way around, brake will be dim, and tail will be bright, and if tail is on, you won't see brakes.... just swap em over...

It's easier than it sounds, hardest bit was getting the pins out.

I reckon someone on here has the wiring for both old and new K11s and could probably tell you exactly which wires to put where without mucking about, but I was giddy and had to start right away.

Next on my list, electric window conversion...

OP
OP
TriNode

TriNode

Ex. Club Member
Wired in the lights

Wired in my lights:

But I did it slightly different to most, the lights come on:
1) with full beam
2) If any other lights are on (side / dipped) and the switch on the dash (I've added) is on, so I can use them as fogs, without using main beam and lighting up the fog...

Next on the list, electric window conversion (next week, weather permitting).

- Ant

Swiper

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
you can't really use them as fogs, as the are driving lights, just like main beam, they'll just 'light up the fog'. and you'll dazzle other road users.

OP
OP
TriNode

TriNode

Ex. Club Member
ahh, I was wondering that, so driving lights are an unfocused beam, and fogs are different? how are they focused?

I've not mounted the dash switch yet, I might use that relay to connect the solar panel I'm tempted by (I've got one on the motorbike and that starter sounds so much healthier now - they say it shouldn't be connected when the engine's running, so a relay to disconnect on ignition key might do..)

Swiper

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
yes, driving lights are unfocused, the fogsare very similar to dipped beam as they only shine lower down and under the fog, it must be done by the reflector or a cover over the bulb.

OP
OP
TriNode

TriNode

Ex. Club Member
Windows!

Finally decided to install my electric windows, and my alarm....

So, stripped the door panels, and whacked in some motors:

ran some wires, and put the buttons on:

The alarm took a bit more work than I anticipated...

Ever REALLY hoped you didn't get pulled over....? LOL

Now when I arm the alarm, the locks lock, and the windows shut, swish (for a 97 car) eh?

More to come when I get more Ideas...

- Anthony

Swiper

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
looking good.
try and find door cards from a micra with electric windows and try and use the nissan switches. it'd look loads neater.
but still good work though.

OP
OP
TriNode

TriNode

Ex. Club Member
I did struggle to find a micra with electric windows, that's why I went this route, I think I'd still have to use the blanking plate for where the winder was though as it sticks out a bit, will keep my eyes out though, I'm a bit picky though, I'd want it to match my seats.

OP
OP
TriNode

TriNode

Ex. Club Member
More little additions:

After strugling to find somewhere sensible to mount my alarm LED, I went to the scrappy and got another NATS LED:

My local body shop sourced me another SuperS bumper (mine's warped) and I got them to get the clocks out too...

Just added a guide for doing the clocks to the DIY section.

Igloo

Ex. Club Member
Hey Trinode,

Where did you get that alarm / window / locking system from?

Was it hard to install? Any tips?

Cheers

OP
OP
TriNode

TriNode

Ex. Club Member
It was pretty easy, it's a Falcon Preditor EVO 4 alarm, and falcon 2 window closure unit (both from the same seller on ebay.) (£90 in all) if you've already got electric windows it should all be pretty easy.

The alarm is the same as any other alarm, the window closure unit wires into the window motor cables, and one wire to the alarm and some power cables.

If you want to wire the central locking be careful, the datasheet on their site says it's a red and yellow wire behind the driver kick panel... that's actually the fuel guage I believe, the only way I could get to it was by pulling the rubber seal out from the driver door wires and there it was.