Travel tax. PETITION please sign..

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
Ok, im not usually one for viral email passing on etc, but check this out. As some of you may know there are consulations going on about the idea of road toll charging by method of 'black boxes' placed within your car that log everything about your movements. Now, this would feedback what you have been upto and you would be charged according to the time of day and where you went. This is in my oppinion a crazy idea. We already have a similar system of toll chargeing by fuel tax, the more we go the more fuel tax we pay so we dont need another. Plus with the ability to monitor your speed etc it would only be a matter of time before this info was used for other purposes.

If you dont agree with this idea please sign the petition below. I have done so and I hope you do too. It would also help if this was passed onto other related sites etc if they have not seen this already..

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/traveltax/

Signed it!

It said the site was too busy for my name to go up, but confirmed the email message that came through and it appeared on there anyway.

20000 signatures on there so far :)

hummmmm, we were discusing this in pub on friday and its absolutly abismal! we pay, fuel tax aswell as road tax etc and this is stupid, there talking upto £1.50 per mile and ive heard they are starting trails right here in sunderland as well as newcastle! ive singed it!

hummmmm, we were discusing this in pub on friday and its absolutly abismal! we pay, fuel tax aswell as road tax etc and this is stupid, there talking upto £1.50 per mile and ive heard they are starting trails right here in sunderland as well as newcastle! ive singed it!

Dont forget how much money they get from VAT on car parts / servicing, Applications for driving licences & tests, & the revenue generated by speed camera fines too!

if they want to decrease the number of cars on the road, they should just slap heavier tax on new cars to encourage people buy second hand instead. to tackle traffic, just build better road networks!

money this money that wont keep me off the road, i got to drive to work 15 miles away and i am not prepared to take 3 buses to reach there. when you gotta drive you gotta drive!!

if they want to decrease the number of cars on the road, they should just slap heavier tax on new cars to encourage people buy second hand instead. to tackle traffic, just build better road networks!

What good will this do?? All you will have then is more older and less reliable and economical cars on the road. :s If it eases congestion and improves roads then I would probably pay so much, not as much as they are saying but even so. Only if they reduced petrol tax and road tax. Otherwise it would be stupid!!!

We pay enough as it is, the most expensive anywhere in the world - and its going to go up unless people put there foot down and say no.

Goverment can afford to drive regardless of cost so they wont realise what impact this has on your average person. People have to drive, End of!! Public transport will never be a good enough alternative or replacement over the car. They should quit dreaming it ever could be.

What good will this do?? All you will have then is more older and less reliable and economical cars on the road. :s If it eases congestion and improves roads then I would probably pay so much, not as much as they are saying but even so. Only if they reduced petrol tax and road tax. Otherwise it would be stupid!!!

you have a point but what this means is people have to buy second hand car which is already in the market, and only buy a new car when they really have to (car dying etc). this will stop the car population from growing out of hand as it is now. the bigger picture is more cars in the future means more tax on us! :doh:

gordon has see through 55 quarters of steady profits for the government but yet nothing has improved, not much money seen poured back into the public i.e roads! but yet hes going to up the tax AGAIN :sleepy:

ive just payed my road tax......filled my car up, baught a load of stuff for my car, and payed the £5.65 toll charge on the humber bridge.......

that works out at... hold on

£103
£20 @ 70%
£130 @ 17.5%
£5.65

£258.65
to the government...... in about a week........

so they can get notted if they want any more money out of me....

and if they fit a black box in any car, it will be about 10 minutes before i find one and take it out again....

Great to see them going up so fast thats over 1000 in a day!!!!!

Done, 22694 i think!! Lol!!

They can get ####ed if they think i'm payin any more. They've already turned where i work upside down, NHS!!

Just sent it to my work address so i can forward the linky thru the Hospital!!! :)

Signed and I agree with you ugly mob, its disgraceful AND on top of this Mr. Brown just added another 1.25 pence to every litre.

Sorry to bring up an oldish thread, but only just found out about this petition. I've signed up and its currently at 115981 for those that are interested...

I wouldnt mind it so much if all the cars in the country ran on cheap electric or the hydrogen engines they're looking at, but that plus fuel costs is way over the top.

Thats come on well!! Pretty much 100,000 more than any other petition!!

Yah, but I bet you blair and his cronies completely ignore it :D New season of top gear is starting around end of january isnt it? Deadline is 20th Feb, so maybe they'll do an appeal and really boost the numbers :D

Yes you never know. I cant really see the whole idea working tbh, but I am glad the site is showing the level of disgust!

This is really starting to get going now, were upto 198399 YES!! Nearly 1/5th of a million. Could this become one of the largest petitions of all time?

199522 now hahaha

200,000 should be here very soon!

Now passed 200K :slm:

Number 200,547, it was below 200,000 about 5 mins before I signed it lol.

I like the page about the first month of petitions:
"# There have been nearly 2000 petitions submitted
# There have been over 200,000 signatures.
# Over 1100 petitions are active and available for signing"

but 200,000 alone for one :eek:

I think its safe to say they didnt expect this level of interest in a petition!

I know its probably time to let this thread die, but wanted to say that I think this may be the biggest pettition ever :D 357,917 at last count, well on its way to the half million mark.

I've now signed it!

Signatures: 584,795:wow:

It runs until the 20th Feb so lets hope they can hit 3/4 of a million by then.

Chris.

Yeah, a bit disaoopintnig though as it is probably bigger than all the other e-peitiions put together it still makes up less than 2% of the population

thats still impressive and what % of the population that drive?

I saw a statistic for this ages ago, think it equated to maybe 1.5>2 cars per household, think it may have been something like there are 15million licences issued, but that could be (and probably is) waaay off the mark.

Interestingly enough, it would be interesting to see what proportion of drivers know about this petition, don't hitnk that I have seen it on any news programs.

Yeah I keep expecting to see it on a news programme too, I know if it did the number of signatures would skyrocket!

ooh, which paper ems? So people power actually works :D

1.15 million peeps and the deadline is in 8 days... :D

I heard today that they're going to reconsider other options and open up a debate about it. You'd think they'd have researched this proposal's popularity before trying to go ahead with it!

Back