Transmission trouble, Expertise needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJW

Ex. Club Member
I've just bought a K10 micra van and I'm having transmission trouble i.e clutch, gearbox and drive shaft. i think i'll ave to replace everything but don't no what to look for to know if it does need to relaced or or not. I really need some help cause I'm low on funds after buying it and insuring it and don't want to be throwing money i don't have away. PLEASE help in anyway possible :down:

Pete

Site Supporter
describe the problems mate, what makes you think theres something wrong...?

OP
OP
T

TJW

Ex. Club Member
The gears keep locking and ther's a whiring noise when you realease the clutch. plus a friend had a look under it and said that he thought the drive was a bit bent.

Pete

Site Supporter
gears keep locking? hehe i've got a box on my workbench that does that, it's got a bit too friendly with 3rd and it won't let go. Erm have you tried checking your gearbox fluid, this can make a big differance.

Whiring noise? like a slight rattle? if so could be your clutch release bearing, not hard to replace if your taking your box off.

Driveshaft being a bit bent doesn't sound too good. There's a million and one K10's around in scrap yards, so driveshafts shouldn't be too hard to get hold of, likewise with replacement gearboxes, tho you take your chances with a box from a scrap yard. Probably about £35-£40 for a box from a yard, don't know about the driveshafts.

Pete

Site Supporter
oh yeah, you got any picture's of your K10 Van? apart from James's conversion i'm not sure if i've seen a non car one.

OP
OP
T

TJW

Ex. Club Member
I've checked the gear box fluid and its full. It's a five speed and i don't trust the mecanic that the previous got to put it in causes he's an alcoholic. I rang up a scrap yard and he said €100 for a 4 speed gear box and drive shaft. I hope it is the release bearing cause a new cluth kit is gonna cost at least €90. Aven't got any pics yet I'm gonna borrow my sis's camera fone and take some. how do I actually put pics up??

Pete

Site Supporter
probably best to host pictures elsewhere and link to then here using the image tags

James

Chairman
Host images from http://www.moddedmicras.co.uk/upload/ and use the IMG tags as MA12 described.

James.

OP
OP
T

TJW

Ex. Club Member
Should ave pics up by monday morning so cause don,t ave net access at home. using college ones dere **** fast. My micra's an original van not a convesion. I aven't seen many K10 vans original or conversion, dere unique just like dere owners :laugh:

quickdraw

Ex. Club Member
hmm were abouts do you live. as those prices are astronomical.

but. as pete says (ma12) the whining noise can be te release bearing. the fluid may be full but it may be worth changing as they can wear thin. and make sure it is the right stuff also..

i have a set of driveshafts lying around sumwere. i wilkl omost prob have a gearbox also. but for easy ness and stuff then the local scrap yard would be more the better choice.

sdhould be no more than £10 for shafts and around 40-50 for box.

haggle them
dont let them give you a final price
ask for a price. see what they say.

if it much highewr than 50-60. then just sijmply say nah not worth it and walk away
if yoiu cant find any others go back to that place. and sim-ply walk up to them and say. ill give you 50 for the bax and shafts. and dont budge. simply say. ill give ya 50. at the end of the day. how many people are gonna be coming upo for them parts. they could have them there for ages. and 50 notes can be sumthing for them to line the pockets.

OP
OP
T

TJW

Ex. Club Member
I live in ireland but am originally from scotland. Thanks for the fluid tip ( u 2 MA12) but i was by someone else that the bearings in the box are fcuk'd. rather go back to original 4 speed.

OP
OP
T

TJW

Ex. Club Member
Rite may go to my classes now. talk to u's all on monday and let u's no how the repairs go and show u's de pics.

H

Herr_spl1ff

100euros is about 60 quid, give or take. Quicky's right though, worth walking off and coming back. There can't be that much demand for k10 gearboxes and driveshafts and I bet they charged to scrap the car in the first place...

OP
OP
T

TJW

Ex. Club Member
Hi all. Got the gearbox but had to pay €100 for it but its in extremely good nick. it was either that one or one for €150 off a different scrap dealer that i heard wasn't the best.

OP
OP
T

TJW

Ex. Club Member
I found wat was wrong wit the gearbox, the central shaft, think its called th spik-cal shaft was bent. which is after wrecking the new clutch that was put in before i bought it. it made the pressure plate spin in an egg shape and made the springs in it seriously loose. Which means a whole new clutch kit and more money, but i hope to ave the clutch kit by tomoro and up and going by tomoro nite. sorry bout not postin up pics yet my sis's camera fone is broke but my mate said he'd give me a lend or his digital camera wen he gets it back, and wen the car is prsentable and not up on blocks (",)

Status
Not open for further replies.