Top Mount Nut Problem

Did anyone else have a problem with taking the top mounts off of the front suspension?

The thread just spins round with the nut that holds the mounts in place and even when you clamp the thread the nut just still wont budge?

Any advice lads? :(

Did anyone else have a problem with taking the top mounts off of the front suspension?

The thread just spins round with the nut that holds the mounts in place and even when you clamp the thread the nut just still wont budge?

Any advice lads? :(

If you need to get more purchase on it mate you could always slide the bump stop down & clamp the main shaft, id put something (bit of rubber maybe on it) so your dont dig into it but if you did scratch it a little its not a big problem as its covered by the bump stop.

I took mine to kwik fit and asked them to use an impact wrench on it.

Whizzed undone :-D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Forum Runner

Tried gripping the main shift and it just wouldnt grip (didn't try it with the rubber though) :(

I'll have a bash at it with the weight of the car too!

I was thinking about going to a garage and asking them actually! Skymera, did you just tighten it up a bit with a spanner so you could get home yeah?

Cheers lads!

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk 2

EnterScott said:
Tried gripping the main shift and it just wouldnt grip (didn't try it with the rubber though) :(

I'll have a bash at it with the weight of the car too!

I was thinking about going to a garage and asking them actually! Skymera, did you just tighten it up a bit with a spanner so you could get home yeah?

Cheers lads!

Yeah, but once it was undone once it was easy again.
Forget how the micra struts work, isn't it an Allen key to hold the shock and then you can undo the nut?

Yeah, but once it was undone once it was easy again.
Forget how the micra struts work, isn't it an Allen key to hold the shock and then you can undo the nut?

Yeah I thought that would be the idea :)
Nah no Allen key :( I think every other car except micras use that set up :( haha

You won't damage the shaft clamping it. I bought a brand new set of expensive Irwin vice grips and clamped them on so tight I had to kneel on them to lock shut. I then use an impact gun to remove the nuts (which smoked!) and when I removed the grips, the tips of the teeth were slightly flattened but the shafts were absolutely untouched. That chrome finish is hard :).

Going to go to kwik fit just down the road from me and ask them for a wee favour tommorow morning ;) hopefully I can carry on with the lowering soon!

EnterScott said:
did kwik fit charge you for them to take it off?

Nope.

Usually make you wait till they're not busy which is fair enough. The even remove and dispose of tyres for free when I ask

Nope.

Usually make you wait till they're not busy which is fair enough. The even remove and dispose of tyres for free when I ask

Thats alright then. Didn't want to go there expect it to be free and they took them off and then be like "Thats 30 quid mate" haha

Cheers ;)

Back