Tool to remove gearbox plug

Hi all,
I have a 2003 K11, I think my gearbox is a bit low on oil and there seems to be a leak from the gearbox. I want to take out the gearbox plug to check the oil level and top it up. However the plug is like a hexagonal shape and I dont have any tool that will fit it. Any one got any idea of what to use to remove the plug? Autodata says 22nm but does not say what kind of tool.

Regards

Fejao.

My k11 1999, has square drive plugs, 1/2" drive fits the fill plug and a 3/8" (slightly bigger metric would be better) just works on the drain.

So do the later models have different plugs?

OP
OP
F
Yes mine is hexagonal, def an allen key now that it was mentioned just not sure on the size. My micra is a 2002 tempest, reg 12/2002 so one of the last.

OP
OP
F
Found out its a 10mm. However I cant get the bloody plug to budge! Is there any other way of checking the gearbox oil on my year of micra?

Guy

Has gone over to the oily side...
Club Member
I read somewhere the other day that you should never drain your gearbox til you check you can get the fill plug out as well :laugh:. I'm doing my K12 on Saturday as it's done 98,000 miles so I reckon it's about time...

Guy

Has gone over to the oily side...
Club Member
Cheers bud, have tried spraying Plusgas over the plug regularly for a day or two so it can soak in? Even cutting a couple of centimetres off a 10mm allen key with a grinder and welding it to the end of a breaker bar might help :grinning:.

OP
OP
F
Shame I dont have access to a welder. Bloody thing wont budge and am not a skinny wee guy lol. I might try some wd40 too. Think my gearbox is dry as the car drives fine and gears go in okay but I have this sound that gets louder as the speed increases for the lt hand side of the engine compartment. Its not wheel bearing etc as thats just been changed. Plus there seems to be a inspection cover on the outpart of the gearbox above the drain plug and it looks oily, like its been taken off before but no leaks elsewhere. Wondering if the clutch has been replaced and they have not filled the gearbox properly. Mmmmm the investigation contines.