Toe in/Toe out capers

alfantasti

Club Member (Trial)
Recently had my 1.0 '98 steering gear and suspension checked for wear and freeplay and everything was tight and in good shape. Still notice that at motorway speeds stability is a bit unnerving. Had a four wheel alignment check and even though the front wheel toe was within manufacturers specs, it was right at the lower measurement. Could anyone advise me if i had the toe-in increased towards the top end of the scale, would this help out the stability problem? By the way the Haynes manual suggests between -0.5 to 1.5mm total toe and mine is sitting at 0mm.

alfantasti, autodata have it at 0 to 2mm toe-in, 1mm may give you more "feel"
what tyre pressures are you running btw ?

Fronts 32 psi, rears 27 psi. Just wondered how much of a difference toe-in actually makes to stability. If it doesn't make a great deal difference, then maybe i should look elsewhere for the stability problems.

alfantasti, i would try a 1/4 turn on the track rods (mark them with paint, if you want to put them back again), and maybe a bit more air in the rears ? :)

that sounds like tyre problems mine was really bad if a tyre was down on pressure of was a bad tyre. also the type of type if you have cheap buget tyres it will be alwful at high speeds and try 30psi all round

Back