To Vista, OR Not to Vista?

D4R73N

Ex. Club Member
Should I upgrade to Vista, it does look really clean and fun to use, but will it...

Run 3DS Max 8, Abobe Photoshop 9 and Dreamweaver 8 and Flash 8 etc?

Thanks for any help!
Darren.

fraz_micra_88

Ex. Club Member
they said in the news and papers that they were goin to test ot over a million times to make sure its right the 1st time.......but yea will still have bugs! then can never get all the #### out the first time

Demarest

Ex. Club Member
Should I upgrade to Vista, it does look really clean and fun to use, but will it...

Run 3DS Max 8, Abobe Photoshop 9 and Dreamweaver 8 and Flash 8 etc?

Thanks for any help!
Darren.

it may look good on the front, but inside its probally loaded with bugs, like every one else is saying, wait a while for an updated version.

if you want something that looks good and is fun to use try www.astonshell.com (uses less memory than some of the early Windows OS's )

Krian

Fear me, for I am Onibaku
Windows Vista has that horrible premium content thing going for it, hence im avoiding it at the mo. Really dont like the idea of Microsoft unilaterally deciding that its ok to compress then uncompress any 'protected' content just to stop a few peeps from ripping it.

mean micra

www.mightymicra.co.uk
It's not something you NEED so don't spend the money for it

that's what i have been telling my customers... Hype, would be the best word...

its like when people come in and say " i was told i have to buy a HDTV or i wont get telly after 2008" lol

Daz buy it and tell us about the bugs you discover... lol

James

Chairman
For someone running Service Pack 1 of XP, I can't imagine security is a major concern for you Darren ;)

That being said, i've been monitoring my install of Vista for a while now, and the only updates it has installed so far relate to improving program compatibility and correcting little 'niggles' in the software. There have been no security patches needed yet.

I've been running Vista for a week now and it's been running like a dream. I can get from POST to Firefox in under 40 seconds!

24.updates.jpg

OP
OP
D4R73N

D4R73N

Ex. Club Member
For someone running Service Pack 1 of XP, I can't imagine security is a major concern for you Darren ;)

Just cause my compters crap and doesent work when SP2 is installed, ITs eathier SP1 or a computer that does nothing at all... I took it to a computer shop and not even they could figuer it out, so screw it.... SP1...then Vista...

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
I can get from POST to Firefox in under 40 seconds!

Is the additional speed a major advantage, because lets face it computers these days are so quick, it would probably only take a fraction more to do it on XP1/2 anyway! Considering the resources required to run Vista, and the fact hardly any peripheral devices will work, it just seems pointless to get it. I believe over 50% of the Windows network is still windows 2000! If it aint broke...

Vista would probably kill darrens laptop aswell due to the system requirements!

James

Chairman
Arnold said:
I believe over 50% of the Windows network is still windows 2000! If it aint broke...
To quote A J Rimmer: "Simply brimming over with wrongability". ;)

The networking system was pretty much built from scratch, with IPv6 integrated right into the networking model.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0 said:
Networking support has been extended throughout the lifetime of Windows 2000 and Windows XP, but it was getting harder and harder for Microsoft to keep improving the old code. So for Vista, they started over from ground zero and rewrote the networking stack from scratch. IPV6 was hacked onto Windows XP in a pretty basic way, but it is built directly into the Vista networking stack in a much more robust fashion. Of course, IPV4 is still going to be the most common IP interface for quite some time, so all the new networking improvements are visible there, too.

The new networking stack has a much bigger focus on security, working better with firewalls to allow much finer granularity of which applications can use network resources in which ways, and it's made to stand up a lot better to network attacks. The built-in firewall in Vista is much more robust than the one included in XP Service Pack 2.

As for the speed, yes Vista may use some more RAM (not too much actually) but it caches common programs into the RAM. For example IE can load from the second you have a start menu, and you notice a speed increase with pretty much any Windows app. And when another application needs that RAM, Vista gives it access

James

Chairman
There will always be someone out there that cracks the software, it always has happened and always will happen. It's just much less hassle if you buy legit copies anyway, as i'm sure the product keys will be blacklisted soon enough, leaving you with no automatic updates...

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
There will always be someone out there that cracks the software, it always has happened and always will happen. It's just much less hassle if you buy legit copies anyway, as i'm sure the product keys will be blacklisted soon enough, leaving you with no automatic updates...

Not a great loss really when vista is supposed to be the most secure windows ever released! there 'shouldnt' be too many updates

with regards to whether or not your software & apps will work on vista, you have to check with each product vendor. i think you will find that for the most part, these software companies won't even have Vista listed in their compatibility pages... doesn't mean they won't work, but the products haven't been validated on the platform yet.

James

Chairman
Not a great loss really when vista is supposed to be the most secure windows ever released! there 'shouldnt' be too many updates
Yeah but what about the warm fuzzy feeling you get for running a legit copy of Windows? ;)

It's not just automatic updates you get anyway, most downloads off the MS website now need the Genuine Advantage tool to be installed and running, blacklisted product key = pretty much no downloads from MS.

James

Chairman
Well at the end of the day, Rimmer sums up the future of Vista:
It will be happened; it shall be going to be happening; it will be was an event that could will have been taken place in the future.

24.reasons.jpg

Moschops

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
I remember XP going from post to firefox in 40 seconds when I first installed it with my new hardware. Now with all my programs installed/services running it's more like 4 minutes!

I have no intention of upgroaning but i'd like to see how it runs as a comparison. All the fancy Aero visual stuff, sidepanel, gadgets etc is all crap I don't need. Tried them, uninstalled them - give me a lean OS that can keep up with me anyday.

Sounds like an expensive security upgrade, with DX10.

OP
OP
D4R73N

D4R73N

Ex. Club Member
If i bought Home Premium, would i be able to use it on both my comptuers, I need a definate answer, no, I think to, I need definate!...lol

James

Chairman
Definate no.

By the way, if your laptop has a Windows Vista capable sticker on it, you may be eligible for a free upgrade anyway. What make laptop do you have?

R05_Micra

Ex. Club Member

i have a copie of XP, was about 3 years ago like, but it wouldnt let me update media player etc, im gonna buy legit vista if its any good, if not, just gonna get xp off ebay....