To rub or not to rub - Before Lacquer.

Well with the nice weather, i though i'd have a go at spraying the boot handle(holds the numberplate lights). On everything i've read it's saying that you have to rub the top coat down(1200 grit), to matt and then spray the lacquer on. Though would/does it make any diffierance if you don't?
I'm just thinking i've got it all nice and then seal it with the lacquer.

nexussteve

The reason you're happy!
You have to flat it back, otherwise you'll have to go through all the lacquer to flat the original colour back if you dont!

It's to eliminate the "orange peel" effect.

Cheers, i have done the rub, prime, rub, topcoat, rub, and final topcoat.....

Its just that lol, it goes all pants and looks ####e if you know what i mean lol, though i take it once wiped down after rubbing and given lacquer it all comes back and looks pukka?

All sorted, and thanks for all the help. I think due to it being a sort of first i was a bit nervous, which didn't help matters. I found that laying the paint on helped a lot, as i was doing lil girly sprays lol. In the end i'm well proud of it, looks very nice!

You don't actually have to guys, you can just wait for your basecoat to flash off. Obviously you want to rub down your primer (however if your using a proper set up you can mix your primer slightly thinner and use it "wet on wet" which means no rubbing, but it really depends on what job your doing)
But anyway, yeah if you flat your primer down, apply your basecoat and then wait until its just touch dry you can then apply your laquer without there being any adhesion problems.

Remember its always better to do a drop coat (or dust coat if you like) first, that is a once light coat, let that flash off and then put on your wet coats. If you go straight in with a heavy coat you can get reaction problems or runs.

If you are using wizz cans a lot its worth looking out for Pro XL stuff, they do a really good high build primer and a very nice texture coat and the cans come with a nozzle that projects in a proper fan rather than a cone like a normal rattle can.

porkpie700

Buy & Sell Member
I rubbed down my front wings before laquer, i thought they looked good at the time. Then i sprayed my cills and i just built it up gradually and didn't rub down before laquor.
My cills came out much better than the wings, they have a much deeper glossy finish whereas the wings are more frosted looking i.e they don't give a clear reflection like the cills. Ever since then i have never rubed down a top coat of paint before laquor and it's so far always given me an excellent finish.
I guess the type of paint makes a big differance, i find that cellulose based paint is horrid to work with, it wont stick, it runs, it cracks and doesn't give as nice a finish as water/powder based paint.

Cracks, runs and poor adhesion usually all related to problems with prep or technique.
Celly is a pain in the arse to flat and polish and doesn't give as good a shine as other paints available. Never bothered with celly myself as I've always had a booth to use so gone for 2 pack.