Tinting

Hi just a quick question not totally clear on this but tinting, is it just a film or is there such a thing as a spray tint for windows and what are your views on both please

Ta

Spray tint is available, people say it's crap, however it is easy to apply and you don't get bubbles and peeling like film.
It's £2.99 a can and you need about a can and a half per window for a good dark tint. Or get light tint spray, works a bit better.

If you go for film get it done professionally.

I would not use a spray on your windows!! Leave that for stuff like light clusters. Infact, its probably best left to the professionals as tinting isn't easy

Thanks guys, the reason I ask is in the past I've seen the film peel and affect your electric windows so I thought a spray might be better, I only want a medium tint just to take the sting off the sun, is it possible to get it done professionally? I don't trust myself to do it right lol

I know my dad has tints on his Jazz which were sprayed on by Honda but when I rang the Nissan garage they said they didn't do tints.

Also would tints affect my warranty??

tinting film isn't a cheap option either as i got mine done by Exec Spec
Mine cost 195 quid and its all worth it as they come with a 5 year garenty and they are the darkest you can get before Limo, but this isn't cheap by any stretch of the imagination.

get it done by a pro, well worth it, dont know much about window tint spray but i know its a real pain in the ass to try to put the film on, should be able to get 3 back windows for about £160

There is an art to tinting, if your going to do it yourself then dont bloody use the spray for god sake, if you mess it up how u gona get it of, at least with a tint you can peel it should it mess up.

I paid 150 for my tints, grade before limo black and lifetime warranty, for godsake dont pay any more and dont accept anything less than a lifetime warranty, I have had mine on a year and 1 month now, my drivers side peeled on the first week, took it in and the guy changed it over, what a cracker of a job, never had any problems since.

If you mess up with spray white spirit will strip it right off, film leaves sticky residue. There's a lot of myths surrounding tint spray to put people off and make them go for the more expensive option. When I get paid I'm going to spray tint my windows, I'll write a guide while I'm at it.

There is an art to tinting, if your going to do it yourself then dont bloody use the spray for god sake, if you mess it up how u gona get it of

I wouldn't dream of it thats why I'm asking if there are places that do the spray tint :eek:)

once again do tints void the warranty??

If you mess up with spray white spirit will strip it right off, film leaves sticky residue. There's a lot of myths surrounding tint spray to put people off and make them go for the more expensive option. When I get paid I'm going to spray tint my windows, I'll write a guide while I'm at it.

More guts than me, I know I wouldn't get it even.

If anyone knows of any garages in Herfordshire that do it, please let me know

Ta

no it wont void ya warranty as it is not a mechanical part or electrical you can even change the colour of your car and it will stay under warranty you can buy a sun visor too i got one on my k12 its amazing and really works

no it wont void ya warranty as it is not a mechanical part or electrical you can even change the colour of your car and it will stay under warranty you can buy a sun visor too i got one on my k12 its amazing and really works

Thanks, I did read the manual but it didn't say anything never had a car under warranty so didn't know.

The warranty covers manufacturing faults, the only way something would void your warranty is if it could have contributed towards the failure of that part.

For example if you modified the engine to give it more power and the gearbox broke, your warranty would be void as you broke it.

The warranty covers manufacturing faults, the only way something would void your warranty is if it could have contributed towards the failure of that part.

For example if you modified the engine to give it more power and the gearbox broke, your warranty would be void as you broke it.

Hi Olly did you ever do this?

Tbh I find film tinting easy - When the window is OUT.

I done mine and it's perfect, I used to work as a vinyl layer so obviously I've had the practice.

Just make sure you lay it wet through and go over it and over it and over it and (with a squeegie/hard burnisher)... until it's dry, then you wont get bubbles!

Squeegie/hard burnisher;
squeegie1.jpg

Use a hairdryer on the lowest setting after youve got all the bulk of the water out as well if you like, whilst going over with the tool.

Then last just trim the edges flush with a blade.

tints are easy just take the window out as its easier spray washing up liquid and water mixture on it using a bottle with spay cap on it then put your tint on the window and use squeegee to squeeg out the air bubbles then use hair dryer to dry and there done, the reason for washing up liquid and water mixture is stops tints from stickin. well good luck but it is easy, just try it

I am gona tint my rear three windows, hopefully this weekend, but that depends on a few things.

The stuff I am using is a bit wierd, but it only cost me about £35 for the materials to cover all three windows.

Its static cling vinyl, you know like the tax disk holders you get in the postoffice.

It came in a roll, you cut it to roughly the size of your window, stick it on then cut it to fit perfectly.

I think it will be good for the rear three, but I dont think it will be any good on the front sides which roll up and down.

Its also, Limo black, so i dont think thats even legal on the front sides. :glare:

Anyway, besides the price, the thing that I liked the sound of is that it can easily be removed and put back on, so if you get pulled over by police, or questioned about it on your MOT or anything, it can easily be removed then stuck back without any hassle.

If I get round to fitting it, I'll get some pics up and let you all know how it went.

I will be putting it on at some point :grinning:

If you can get your back windows out (like sides) then its quite easy to film tint them your self...but get the rear one done professionally

As you have a K12 tho, might be best to get it all done professionally, only around £150-£200

I might get a can, and a spare rear window and compare with my film tints, but im gonna pull them out anyway as i want to go Limo black instead of dark smoke..!

film is best for window, ive seen tint spray on windows and they end up being fully black. but even if you did tint the front side windows with spary it might scratch off when crap gets in the rubber seals, also if the police pull you your carnt just peel it off like film....

and yes tinting is a ballache! i would go proffesnoinal lol

Back