Timing chain installation help

Hi, new to this forum but having issues with replacing timing chain. I cannot seem to break seal on upper sump. So far I have removed lower sump, then removed 7 small bolts around upper sump edge, 3 from inside sump, 3 joining onto gearbox and 2 going vertical around gearbox end, have I missed any as I have used a lot of force but upper sump does not want to break seal and I am loathe to use more force than I think necessary and break something. I appreciate the gearbox may have to be split to get sump off but does this have to be split first just to break seal? Everything I have read so far states simply remove upper sump and then have to split gearbox to finally remove, any help would be good as car is laid up until can get sorted

I think there is more than 3 in side the sump. They are very hard to break the seal. I use a small square screwdriver in the holes in the side of the sump by the gearbox tap it in and you should see it start to open. Then gently use a broad flat screwdriver to seperate the sump.

Hi,many thanks for reply and much appreciated but is anyone exactly certain about the number of bolts within the sump? As I can only see three and the car mechanics magazine only mentions three. To give an idea of how tough seal is I can lie under the car, grip the upper sump and lift myself off ground without sump coming away. I will try and separategearbox to see if this helps.,which I feels brings another problem. As the engine has to be supported but this cannot be done with trolley jack below as this would stop me getting access to I will have to try and support from above:-

Hi, anyone got the specific answers to these
1) how many bolts secure gearbox to engine, I have removed seven but will not split, am I missing any?
2) does the starter have to be removed to split gearbox/engine, do their bolts also help in joining engine/gearbox?
3) I understand that you cannot put inlet sprocket on and tighten as chain cannot be put on after so I will put camshaft sprockets and chain as a whole. When putting sprockets back on camshaft in particular the inlet containing the vvt can it go on exactly as it came off and providing timing marks have not moved can the bolt be tightened with the vvt still in the advanced position ie cam turned to front of car with pin disengaged? If so once fitted how is the pin re engaged? Is this done automatically as engine turns over or do you have to turn camshaft anticlockwise to engage pin?
Has no one completed this job?

Remove starter as bolts go through.

When you install cam sprockets please ensure vvt pin is dissengaged. If you dont you will shear it off costing big bucks to replace it. Once cam sprocket bolts are tight turn the cam cack and forth untill you hear the pin click into place and lock. You will feel it on the cam when its locked.

Finally got chain installed, yet to put everything back so haven't fully tested but appears to be going o.k so far. One thing I have found is that I ordered a kit off e-bay which came with two sprockets which I thought would be for each camshaft, however after taking the inlet one off containing the vvt I noticed the vvt and sprocket were one unit and could not be separated so had to reuse this sprocket. Luckily my car has only covered less than 30k so shouldn't be too bad. I emailed the seller to confirm this was correct to which he agreed it was. So then why have two sprockets in the kit? When only one used. Anyone know why? Or is it that some vvt and sprockets separate.
Anyway once car is back in one piece I will write up a full summary of what I did to assist others

Hello, hope you don,t mind me asking for help but stuck at moment. Trying to get vvt gear off inlet cam, engine out of car, but cannot do it. Is there a way without using compressed air ? Can you take the 4 security screws out to get to the pin ? Lastly, if I do ever manage to get the vvt off, do you put chain back on with pin disengaged ? Thank you

Remove starter as bolts go through.

When you install cam sprockets please ensure vvt pin is dissengaged. If you dont you will shear it off costing big bucks to replace it. Once cam sprocket bolts are tight turn the cam cack and forth untill you hear the pin click into place and lock. You will feel it on the cam when its locked.
Hi could you help please. Trying to get vvt mechanism off cam shaft of micra k12 , engine out of car, but cannot do it. Is it possible to do another way without compressed air, or by taking the 4 security screws out to get to the pin .? Also, if I manage to get the vvt mech off, do you tighten cam bolt with pin engaged or disengaged really nervous about putting chain on one tooth out.
Thank you , Dave

Back