Time for round 2

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Many years ago I attempted to turbo my red K11, and it seems I've gone full circle, not by buying another red K11 but going down the turbo route too.

Spent the day over at Chloe's removing the CGA4DE from Lee's car. I caved into peer pressure and bought a manifold and turbo too (oops)

I'll post up more photos/details/updates in my build thread and keep all questions and enquiries for this topic

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Done some searching and tried to digest as much info as possible but theres so much that gets asked over the years.

So the ringlands are the first to go, Frank mentions his went at 20+ psi. I only plan on running minimal actuator pressure (5-7psi) so I should be good. Engine management is a vital part, was hoping to go down the Nistune route but its not available for the coilpack ECUs. I've emailed Ed at Fusion Motorsport to see whats available.

Would the stock ECU self learn enough for this boost pressure? I understand if I was running larger injectors, larger MAF and more boost I'd need piggyback/standalone, but i'm going minimal.

frank

Club Member
i blew ringlands at 20+ and at 7psi chris
i think there is some anomaly in the cg that makes it randomly let go , hit the throttle wrong or whatever ? because i had engines that lasted months then suddenly randomly failed
if you lift the throttle and then boot it it goes from 1/2 a bar of vacuum to 1/2 a bar of boost in milliseconds, and i personally think that the 90,s ecu cant pull back the spark advance quick enough, ed,s nistune basemap i had went from 50 deg at cruise, then pulled back to about 10 deg under boost

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Ed replied and passed on Mark's detailed at Tornado, to whom I've emailed. I've also emailed Emerald who are a 30 min drive from me but I know going full standalone is gonna be pricey.

So its pot luck whether the stock internals take it or not and for how long...hmm...

frank

Club Member
you might find that if you dont floor it in 1st and 2nd it will last chris
the starlets ran a lower boost level in the lower gears eh (6 and 9psi ?)

frank

Club Member
i blew about 5 engines on the stock ecu (18 months iirc)
and blew a couple with the basemapped nistune (2 yrs iirc)
paul and stani both blew some with nistunes
i did a lot of 3rd gear hard pulls no probs
and the bigger turbo engines tended to last longer (td04 and 05) they were obviously slower to react

OP
OP
hoodedreeper

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
If I didn't have the Skyline I wouldn't have hesitated spending the money on a standalone. I was hoping nistune was available and that would be the end of that. My budget can't really stretch to a standalone and forge build for the sake of 200hp when I can spend abit more and push the Skyline for more power

I think I'll stick to an NA CGA3DE

frank

Club Member
bear in mind i never ran an intercooler, and only used unleaded chris
and my corsa piston engines never blew ringlands
even 5psi is a hoot to drive, if you include a very light flywheel and a load of strippage