Throttle body relearning?

Had a few problems recently, distributor as the start of a chain of events , kind of, they say it comes in threes. Anyway, distributor sorted, Lambda changed, pain in the ****, cross threaded, and then the throttle body decided it had had enough of its new neighbours. Threw it in the garage Monday , he has the right software etc, he called me Monday afternoon, said the MAF was showing as the problem but easier to get a replacement possibly, he had made some calls and managed to find a NOS throttle body complete, £65, did I want that ? Ripped his arm off ! 11am yesterday it was ready to collect. I went down and it sounded sweet as a nut, no black soot on the ground, perfect, he said it'll need a blast down the dual carriageway or motorway as there was a lot of sooty deposits advises either Cataclean or Redex emissions reducer to help it along. It was the last day for retest on MOT ,handbrake efficency and emissions, so I took it for a fairly short run with Redex in and a 1/4 tank of fresh E5 and had no choice but to get it in the MOT centre before 4, nit much of a run or at high revs. Failed again. CO limit is less than 0.33 iirc and this was spewing out 5%+. I noticed when I came to a stop the engine revs went up and down a bit before settling to a nice even normal level.

I have read here and elsewhere that you need to go through a set up process when you fit a new throttle body? Does this apply to a 96 1.0 16v K11 pre coil pack model, and pre OBD? For info the throttle body is OE and exactly the same model as the one that came off from what both the garage and I can see, manufacturer and model numbers match etc? I have booked it in to the MOT garage next Wednesday for a tune up as he called it. Pardon my ignorance but doesn't that happen automatically via various sensors and the ECU? Can he adjust it to reduce emissions? Thanks in advance.

Back