Throttle body mesh

i take mine out on them all as it seems to colect s**t when running an induction kit?? and when i clean the filter i blast some carb cleaner down there :D

Not sure about pre 00 but mine also has a plastic mesh, i took the plastic one out but left the wire mesh in cos im paranoid something will somehow get in there lol. Ive took them both out before and was suprised how the difference was actually noticable!

Nice going sorry i forgot your proper name 1275 :blush:

Im sure i had a metal surround for the filter, although cant be sure havent looked at a panel filter for a while lol. :D

Turbulent flow is good flow, also it will make 0.0000000001% of a difference to your performance. Where as the crap I have seen gather on here will make a difference to your performance if it ends up in your engine.

this is why I don't post anymore.

Do you have any idea the amount of development work I did on my k11?

The testing with and without a mesh was very low on my list. Common sense I would think would normally explain this.

Ahh ###### it, I won't post my opinions anymore.

Thanks for your honesty Pete. So the answer to my question is NO. In that case you are correct in saying you shouldn't post what is after all just your opinion and not as in my case practical experience.

Don't stop posting, just post on things you know something about :)

blimy mate, calm down.
why are people so adverse to taking advice from people who know what they are talking about? it happens so much on here. you dont have to listen to him, but dont shut him down for trying to warn you! would you run no air filter because it is less restrictive?
i am sorry pete, on 1275 beharlf(sp) please dont stop posting on here, just post helpful stuff in my ecu thread instead:D lol

i looked at it today what you could do is take the mesh and also bore out the throttle body this might make a difference

i looked at it today what you could do is take the mesh and also bore out the throttle body this might make a difference

how would you bore it out mate? surley the smallest part is the butterfly and you cant easily change the size of that (you might as well get a bigger TB imo)

yea you could modify the butterfly valve to make it bigger but then as you say just aswell going for a bigger tb

IMO the mesh shouldn't be removed unless your filter is bullet-proof. i've seen induction parts such as the metal rib on filters and rivet heads come loose over time and wedge valves open when sucked into the engine!! remember the micra MAF is quite sensitive.

Thanks for your honesty Pete. So the answer to my question is NO. In that case you are correct in saying you shouldn't post what is after all just your opinion and not as in my case practical experience.

Don't stop posting, just post on things you know something about :)

Do you have dyno evidence before and after of this modification?

This goes both ways, but I think you're clutching at straws if you think this can make a noticeable improvement of performance.

Pete was trying to save you all trouble at a later date when crap gets sucked into the engine, what if your filter fell off and a bird got sucked into the engine? It could happen.

If you can't take his advice that's fine, get your minimal increase in performance but don't come on here bitachin when there's feathers coming out your exhaust

Woah what happened here thread looks like a bomb went off.

olly thats quite a different response to your first one lol :)

Yeah well my first response was saying that other cars dont have them so they must be ok.

Then the MAF sensor was mentioned as being fragile hence the mesh. This changed my mind it's not worth it for the minimal boost. When pete tried to explain this to people some people got aggressive toward him hence my second post

You need to go on the Almera forum and warn them of the dangers then

Franks GA16 throttle body, check out the MAF wire.

attachment.php

FFS it a bit of mesh! if you want to do it, if you dont, dont! i dont think it will make a diffrance if you did remove it.
regardless of that mesh s**t still gets in there fwn....thats why i put some carb cleaner in there evry now and then

and regards to it being there....i think a micra is "over enginiered"???

Nissan have put it there for a purpose, and have spent far more cash and time in research and development on what it's job is and how effective it is.

Turbulent flow is good flow, also it will make 0.0000000001% of a difference to your performance. Where as the crap I have seen gather on here will make a difference to your performance if it ends up in your engine.

lol, another heated debate :eek:, i beg to differ on the "turbulent flow is good flow" bit tho pete :)
and here,s the CG and (GA on the left) t/b,s, with the same sort of hotwire maf (but obviously nissan did,nt think a mesh was needed on the GA,s)
http://www.micra.org.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=13519&stc=1&d=1252768865

Attachments

• PICT0100.JPG
    PICT0100.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 585
The car is running beautifully, despite a brisker pace it has still done 163 miles on the first quarter of a tank, 160 miles had been my best up until now.

wheels002.jpg

Nissan have put it there for a purpose, and have spent far more cash and time in research and development on what it's job is and how effective it is.

I agree!

Well if they want to get more shat in the carb etc.. than they will winge "ohhh my carB is dirty how do i clean it?" its you're own fault!

:glare: "more #### in the carb"???? ......why go on about getting more #### in the TB for the sake of a little bit of mesh?
everyone is going on as if there going to get a shed load of crap in there:suspect: and ravein on as if its going to kill the car within a week:suspect: if the car has a decent fitler/induction it should be fine, and a little bit of maintance goes a long way!

This remembers me on the last trip we made to the north this last winter. On a rainy day a friend caught a really big mud hole that apparently seemed just 1" deep. He sucked water with mud though the intake and it hit the filter so hard that it altogether gone inside. The mesh on the MAF stopped it all and saved is engine. Such things are possible, and I think very provable becouse years ago I experienced some hydrolock in my Astra GSI in simmilar conditions.

As the GA TB not having the mesh... god knows. My father, that was some VIass on Opel (Err Vauxall) told me that some stupid dude implemented improvements on the Opels productions lines to save some bucks and gained reputation an status. He ordered shorting the engines harness wires more than an inch, and then sensors were unpluggin now and then on the road.

I must say... don't argue for such small things boys. ;)

Back