This sounds expensive & time consuming...

able to narrow the sound of it down to a more specific part of the engine? any variance with revving or under load? while the frequency of the pops is the same it doesn't sound like piston slap or anything because you hear that most when the car is under load like on a hill. Doesn't sound like loose metal or vibration either.

At a guess, I'd say that sounds like one of the accessory belts flapping away, maybe a tensioner is loose or the belt has stretched or a pulley is loose? This car has a timing chain. they usually flap a bit faster, sounds like the brrrrrt noise of a machine gun typically

That is a strange sound though, almost sounds like the noise the spark makes

OP
OP
S
able to narrow the sound of it down to a more specific part of the engine? any variance with revving or under load? while the frequency of the pops is the same it doesn't sound like piston slap or anything because you hear that most when the car is under load like on a hill. Doesn't sound like loose metal or vibration either.

At a guess, I'd say that sounds like one of the accessory belts flapping away, maybe a tensioner is loose or the belt has stretched or a pulley is loose? This car has a timing chain. they usually flap a bit faster, sounds like the brrrrrt noise of a machine gun typically

That is a strange sound though, almost sounds like the noise the spark makes
Going to get in there tomorrow and have a proper look but figured it was worth an ask in the mean time since its dark.

It sounds similar to a slack belt on the air compressors we have at work but the belts felt fine when the engine was off. I've looked up random videos online and it definitely doesn't sound anything like the chain, its more like a slapping sound.

I've seen diagrams of the belts, i think the airconditioning ones have 2 belts, but sometimes one. And the powersteering could make a difference too if it has that. depends on the model.

As far as your trip, you could be looking at an alternator problem potentially.. it's figuring out which pulley is loose. if the tension feels fine the next place i'd check would be the alternator idler pulley, it's an easy check right at the front of the engine bay and if you turn it manually clockwise (you need the correct adapter and to turn it from inside the splines) it should freewheel not pull the belt

this of course assumes it is the belt, i may be wrong i'm just guessing really, i've never heard a noise like that except on my neighbours VW every time she started it to go to work at 7am and i was never in an investigative mood at that time o_O

OP
OP
S
I was right with the slapping sound! The lower belt (water pump by the looks of it) has a slight tear I didn't see in the dark and the strand is slapping metal when it's rotating.

Attachments

• IMG_20190714_131559.jpg
    IMG_20190714_131559.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 172
I was wracking my brains yesterday trying to figure out what was on the various belts and what would actually stop the car from running mid-journey

Alternator would take a while, even more time if you have your headlights off (old top gear special where they're on that cliff edge road and hammond's alternator is knackered and he swaps battery with james)

The only thing other than that is compressor which would just be a warm journey, power-steering (no idea if it's belt driven) and water pump (no idea if it's belt driven or electric on these). Could have localized overheating if the waterpump isn't running and could warp your parts in a cast aluminum engine, but without a top gear episode to refer to i'm clueless as to how long you could drive it in that condition :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I was right with the slapping sound! The lower belt (water pump by the looks of it) has a slight tear I didn't see in the dark and the strand is slapping metal when it's rotating.
lol i've just seen that picture, cut the stray bit off it'll be fine for another day. Belt casually pimp-slapping your engine, that explains why it was such a slow frequency noise, once per full rotation rather than the constant flapping of a pulley making the belt jump about

Bet you're glad it's not expensive, that's one of those noises you hear and start praying. I'm sure if I set that as my alarm tone in the morning the adrenalin alone would have me sitting straight up like the f*cking undertaker :ROFLMAO:?

OP
OP
S
I was wracking my brains yesterday trying to figure out what was on the various belts and what would actually stop the car from running mid-journey

Alternator would take a while, even more time if you have your headlights off (old top gear special where they're on that cliff edge road and hammond's alternator is knackered and he swaps battery with james)

The only thing other than that is compressor which would just be a warm journey, power-steering (no idea if it's belt driven) and water pump (no idea if it's belt driven or electric on these). Could have localized overheating if the waterpump isn't running and could warp your parts in a cast aluminum engine, but without a top gear episode to refer to i'm clueless as to how long you could drive it in that condition :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

It didn't stop it from running I'm just a wee bit paranoid about driving it to pick up a new belt since its the power steering and water pump & the only place with the belt in stock is an hour round trip.