Thinking of Turboing my Coilpack....

As it says, i am thinking of going turbo on my 1.4 coilpack. Only thinking of running around 4-6 psi to keep the install to a minimum with no IC. I just need a few questions answered if poss. I am thinking of running a t15 setup (the type frank has hanging around), what i would like to know is, would running this low boost need a better MAF or would the standard one work, think i seen somewhere that the standard CG one would run up to 4-5 psi ok, so am hoping mine being a CGA would be around the same. Also, i want to keep this all MOT friendly so, would a 2nd cat from a CG work to keep omissions MOT happy? seeing as it would prob run hotter after a good ragging so it may get hot enough to work. Already have QG injectors fitted and an ebay FPR so i imagine fueling would be ok, would it need a remap for this low boost? dont forget its a coilpack so the normal "Fixes" wouldnt apply i dont think. Any thoughts/ideas are most welcome

frank

Club Member
the CGA3 pistons stand half a bar no probs as do the ebay head gaskets to my amazement :) but i,m using the CG cylinder head so have the advantage of timing adjustment eh.
and i think you would have to mount the 2nd cat further forward personally

OP
OP
AJC

AJC

so you think 4-6 psi would be ok on a standard set up then frank? i was thinking of having a double thickness HG made up, but would i be ok with a double HG? and if i asked really nice would you be able to make up downpipe with the cat mounted as far foward as poss? Hopefully i want to pave the way for more coilpack turbo conversions seeing as they seem so far apart. I am very interested in the t15 setup you have frank, is it a t15 or gt15?

frank

Club Member
2 x h/g is an option i guess, i dont know if shifting/retarding the crank sensor would work tho, the cat would need to be fitted after the sump i guess (below the shaft, just a sleeved fitment one with a basic clamp eh, and its a GT1549 mate :) (from a honda 2.0D)

A catalytic converter starts to work between 400-600 degrees Fahrenheit (204-316 Celsius) from some temperature tests i competed on my coil pack 1.0 for my dissertation i recorded
Front (Manifold) - 631 c
Middle (after downpipe) - 445 c
Rear (back box) - 215 c
The results show that it is possible to have a catalytic converter anywhere in the system but as you can see having one at the rear would be borderline .....
Was trying to see if you could use a catalytic converter as a silencer to get rid of the back box :p as on a rally car produced after 1999 you must have a catalytic converter fitted i thought about making it a multipurpose piece of equipment and do 2 jobs instead of one!!

OP
OP
AJC

AJC

would it need any retard at only 4 psi? its not a whole lot of boost, surely the standard ecu could handle that much? i am basing this on an old metro turbo i had back in the day, i know its old skool tech but that only ran 4 psi with no mods to the lump and that chucked out 110bhp ish. And you think it would be poss to knock up a cat set up to keep it mot friendly frank? if you could do that with the t15 set up, there would be cash waiting :)

OP
OP
AJC

AJC

Sterry, from what i can gather, although your temps may be correct, it seems that the second cat on its own wont pass an MOT due to it not getting hot enough on a NA setup, this is from the forum results, but with a turbo set up and far enough forward, i am thinking i would just and i mean just scrape through the emissions test, maybe the help of a piece of folding paper would get i through tho ;)

frank

Club Member
i dont know how the ecu would handle any det tbh, its the old sparkmap situation eh, i guess 4 psi would be ok BUT increasing the boost is waaaay too easy and tempting (most of us succombe to temptation :D).
and i could do a straight downpipe that reaches to the back of the sump np :)

OP
OP
AJC

AJC

i am all to familiar with the boost devil, metro turbo, renault 11 turbo, cosworth. after having the cosworth and things costing stupid money to fix i know my limits. I say i want only 4 psi, but thats due to having an old metro T3 actuator that i could fit to the t15, so that would be a major load off the install and would restrict boost. This on a CGA should make what 110-120bhp? frank how much would you want for the mani/turbo custom DP?

OP
OP
AJC

AJC

i will mate, soon as i get the all the bits needed, i will put up a blog/price list/ parts list etc and hopefully between all of us we can get more coilpacks boosted :)

OP
OP
AJC

AJC

Ok, just a little update, got a couple of nice packages through the post this morning, one from frank, that being a modded mani/gt1549 turbo/downpipe, second being a mushroom filter and the third being a few fitments for oil feed and return. Need to order a few more parts, rebuild the turbo, then it will be all ready to fit up, and hopefully run, and work. its amazing how many "little parts" slip your mind. But soon as i get this all priced up and ordered, and working i will put up a blog for it. Thanks to frank for his help so far mind :) no doubt i will be asking more questions of him and the rest of you turbo guys in the near future

OP
OP
AJC

AJC

Thats something that i am gonna have to work on on the fly, i am hoping that with only running 4-6 psi and running colder plugs i wont need to to do too much in that department, if it turns out i do then i guess i would be looking toward Ed to help me out, ether with a remap if poss or maybe some "tricks" to fool the standard ecu. I have decided that an intercooler is gonna be fitted, coz i can get a Mondeo Mk3 TDCi one for 30 quid that i think will fit nicely, that should help DET, please i invite comments/help in getting this working, and a hope of around 130ish bhp

Belly93

to turbo or new lump :/ hmmm
Sr20 or different maf meter? Cos dont know if the standard ones can cope can they? Fuelling? 1.6 injectors iprated fuel pump, and are you fitting forged pistons?

OP
OP
AJC

AJC

I am running standard internals, standard MAF and T/B, and i already have QG injectors and standard fuel pump. From what i have seem, the standard pump can supply enough fuel and the standard T/B MAF can handle 6 psi without problems, the QG injectors should allow more fuel at a slightly lower pressure, hopefully this should all work together in a low boost setup.

OP
OP
AJC

AJC

afaik the standard internals can run 7psi no worries, but having never done it, i aint the best to ask, maybe when i blow something then i will be lol, i am thinking of running either a double HG setup or even a decomp plate to help, again the turbo boys will hopefully help on this one

frank

Club Member
afaik the standard internals can run 7psi no worries, but having never done it, i aint the best to ask, maybe when i blow something then i will be lol, i am thinking of running either a double HG setup or even a decomp plate to help, again the turbo boys will hopefully help on this one
aye stock cranks and rods are forged anyway eh, my CGA will be running about 8psi as soon as i get the side exit system finished, and i,ll test those CGA3 pistons and ebay h/g a bit further :)

OP
OP
AJC

AJC

Mmm, ferriday only show the bi metal at either 0.6 and 1.0mm so it looks like a decomp plate, they have the CGA one on file, so its just a matter of getting the thickness i want, i am guessing a 0.4-0.6mm decomp plate would be ideal or would a thicker one be better? bearing in mind i wont be running huge boost, just want it to be safe.

OP
OP
AJC

AJC

2mm plus the standard HG, that should drop the CR, just out of interest what would the CR go from - to with 2x standard H/G, and the same with a 2.00mm decomp and standard HG?

OP
OP
AJC

AJC

after a quick scan of that thread, and i mean quick, i see the logic in stani's argument in the twin HG setup, but then the decomp plate has its merits too, i think i will stick with the twin HG setup for now, its only gonna be 4-6 ish psi so they should hold fine