...thinking of adding a K&N induction kit... and..

Gurpreet

Ex. Club Member
I have no idea about the gains! or which one I need...
Is it worth it?
How do they work?
Will my fuel run rich if the engine is getting more air?
What do I need to do to over come this?

*can you hear the cogs turning in me head*

Its a (2001) 1.0l 998cc auto... and I dont think the 1.3 or 1.4 is going to be fitted anytime soon so I may as well... and... could I take it with me?? If I get the 1.3 and put it on that?

Which K&N do I need? Do I get the cold feed pipe with it too?

Or should I go for a different filter all together??

Confuzzled.

Thanks in advance.

ollie240585

Ex. Club Member
For sound get a K&N for the Nissan Micra and you'll get an air feed with it

If your after performance.....just leave ur standard air filter....honestly the difference they make is not noticeable!!!

OP
OP
Gurpreet

Gurpreet

Ex. Club Member
What are all these 4-8bhp gain posts Ive been reading... ok lost now...

Sound? What kind of sound? a whoosh?

ollie240585

Ex. Club Member
K&N gives a nice deeper, louder sound to the engine, your air box acts like a silencer, and removing the air box to put on an induction kit makes it sound lovely.

I imagine the K&N could give a few extra BHP, but it really won't be noticeable. I didn't notice when I put mine on, all I noticed was the lovely sound!!!

EDIT: 1000 POSTS!!!!!!!!!

mike

I love Ed!!!!
Copied and pasted out of another thread i posted in

Right, im going to settle this once and for all.

Unless you have £££ and can buy a CAI off Matt then the next best solution is a K&n panel filter in the standard airbox. You now have two options

1) Refit the old air feed and buy/borrow another air feed and box from a scrappy. Cut the side off the spare box and make a airbox with two ports and fit both air feeds. Cut off and seal the silencers on the air feeds

2) Cut out port and some of the side from the box, install a bigger port and fit a bigger air feed. Preferably a flexible heat proof pipe or a metal pipe with silicon hoses and not a drain pipe.

I spent alot of time and money trying different styles of feeds and this is by far the best avaliable for a modified K11

Glenn

Ex. Club Member
I got a K&N on my 1ltr i didnt notice too many power gains, is just there for noise really! you do get quite alot of noise but only when you put your foot down quite alot..I would say it is worth the money, but getting a backbox would make sure that you get a better "rumble"

hope that helps a bit..

Swiper

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
i agree with mike, just get a k&n replacement panel filter and modify your cold air feed. if you search the site you should find plenty of pics.

Hmm couldn't you, and I know this sounds like alot of work, make an air box for the k&n induction kit filter? Any ideas on if it'd be better?

59 bhp is more than enough

Deactivated Account
yeah you could quite easily but a lot of it is material selection. You have to make sure that its a good insulator of heat while obviously being as light as the standard one. Then you have to consider air flow and to be fair you can use the standard airbox with a k and n replacement panel filter as long as you have a decent air flow to it there wont be much difference.

OP
OP
Gurpreet

Gurpreet

Ex. Club Member
ok Ive err kinda had this idea for a while.. anyhow.. it arrived today and I fitted it in... so Im a little late for the panel filter idea :( but aahhh what a noise!!! took me an hour and fifteen mins to fit... im a beginner... I just admire the idea of not having to touch the filter for 50,000 or so miles... works out cheaper in the long run...

Back box hey? which one?? how much?

thanks

Sorry to bump this topic, but I just fitted my replacement K&N filter. It's alot smoother at lower revs and makes a cool noise when you rag it :D, it's certainly alittle faster... or maybe I just hope :p. Next... airbox mod, on the subject of which anyone got any photos of a modded airbox? Thanks.

M

maidenmadman

hi, just been readin all the previous posts, very interesting.
i am considerin fittin an air filter to my car but im after performance more than sound. its only 1 litre so im not expectin anything lamborghini like but when climbin hills with a car full it really struggles. can the car be remapped atall to gain a few more BHP or coud fittin a nissan figaro turbo help.

please has anybody got any suggestions

thanx alot guys

micracharge

Now with added V6...
Induction

This weekend I will be measuring up my new induction system for the Micra, those K&N kits are a total joke, you might as well remove the air box and leave it wide open from a power standpoint, induction systems, particularly on an NA car need to have length to give the incoming air some velocity, rather than reduce myself to a K&N I have built my own kit using an ITG filter and some decent silicon hose. Its an intermediate step as supercharger progress is still slow due to the damn cold weather.

I will get some pictures up in a few days of the setup, once I have it on I will be tuning its length on the dyno to make some useful power gains, rather than taking the K&N approach of just slapping a filter on top of the throttle body and calling it acceptable. The K&N setup might be an advantage if you have a micra that goes to 10,000 rpm or more! But for road cars, length is needed in the induction system - just take a look at the standard delivery pipe, Nissan didnt make it that length for a joke...

OP
OP
Gurpreet

Gurpreet

Ex. Club Member
In my highly unprofessional opinion the car is pulling better.. and I agree with ductsoup.. smoother at lower revs and good with a heavy foot...

I would have gone for the induction kit with the length of pipe (K&N Typhoon?) and placed the cold air feed somewhere behind the headlamps or lower but it was a financial thing..

And I reckon from what I have been reading.. I may be wrong.. that... to get the most of the induction kit you need a decent manifold and backbox... but Im confused as to: just back box or whole new system? Again I dont know about brands so... I was thinking Janspeed as they sound cool but Ashley are cheaper.. and I have no idea which is better..

Had I known about ITG I would have gone for it but Ive only been here so long... and there is so much choice.. some say mushroom filter and in this thread.. a panel filter has been recommended as the best way too!

Z z z z z back to the redecorating

but in short... and in my opinion I think the K&N does beat the standard Nissan fitment and is worthwhile for lazy sods like me who cant be bothered to replace the filter every year... and this one now will take me to around 50k I hope without the need for a re-oil too soon... nowww what are your thoughts on Superchips??

*did I type all that?*

is scared to scroll up

that velocity theory sounds about right but Id imagine that one pipe wouldnt be enough for best results youd probably be better off having two? ok i should be quiet now

Agin i seem to be the only person with a decent induction system???

On my 1.ol k11 im using a evo sport carbon cansiter with a direct feed pipe from the end to the bumper so there is no gaps and no hot air seeping in, i think u will find its called 'FORCED INDUCTION'.

have a go but be prepared to pay 90 quid like i did,lol.

with this and a janspeed backbox i made a impressive bhp gain as u can see form my rolling road graph results.

R

runaway-robot

Behind your bumper is that? If its behind your bumper, you have a chance of water getting up. The best place to put it is behind the passenger side driving light. As there is a hole next to there, so you get the cold air coming up thru the wing, grill and bumper.

OP
OP
Gurpreet

Gurpreet

Ex. Club Member
Have I fit it right?

I suppose this can also act as a dummys guide if I have...

So I went down to Halfords today to fit those Super Brilliance Xenons... and the guy who fit them... touched the bulb glass! SO I told him to get me a new set! Anyhow... he said he has just fit a K&N and the best method is an induction pipe. He said: that my pipe from the airfilter which connects the breather hose is incorrect... said that... my engine will start cutting out and the airf filter will start sucking up oil... so what do I do? I asked and he suggest a Pipex filter/breather?

Basically what I have done is... sat the filter atop the TB as stated... and the hose which exits the Airfilter is connected to the breather hose? atop the engine... see right side (jubilee) clip.

My man also suggested... that the gearbox breather should be placed elsewhere and that I should get a pipe... instead of the incorrect filter??

Confuzzled!!!

ollie240585 cant really see from your pic but I think it is similar...

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/8226/dsc00776pc1.jpg

Just a by the way for anyone cutting the silencer off a standard air feed, if your carefull with cutting it off at the "weld" between the pipe and silencer you can keep the pipe sealed there, I wasn't so carefull and now it has a square hole as well as the obvious one :D and so I have 2 to seal :eek:.

Also a question, I have a huge amount of space under the bonnet on the left hand side of my engine, is it possible to turn the airbox round and feed air from behind the right hand side light? I know I'd probably need a custom feed for this.

James

Chairman
He said: that my pipe from the airfilter which connects the breather hose is incorrect... said that... my engine will start cutting out and the airf filter will start sucking up oil... so what do I do? I asked and he suggest a Pipex filter/breather?
Oh poop on a shovel I think I may have done just this on the Almera...

And I was wondering why it was starting to be a bit hesistant...
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=342654310&context=set-72157594454467234&size=o

The rubber pipe under the cold air feed...

AntMat

Ex. Club Member
I am not a lover of K & N filters. They're great if your crossing the Nullarbor Plain (done that) or doing the Paris-Dakar but for every day use I don't like them.

Why? Because they are oil impregnated. Oil is a volatile compound and as it ages, it thickens. Great you may think but in time the airflow will be reduced. I have experience of this going back a good many years and have seen countless cars - usually BDAs with 48 Webers or Dell'Ortos - that have had them fitted. I always point out to the owners that this will cause a power drop from the optimum and demonstrate the fact by fitting a supplementary airbox with a Jetex or Ram Air type filter. Invariably you will find that there is a noticeable improvement.

A further problem that I've encountered with K & Ns is that of oil migration. This has happened more recently as we've had hotter summers and the under bonnet temperatures have risen. The oil will "spread" and can be found on sensors and on the walls of "throttle" boxes. I've even seen a few with porosity problems.

I agree with Ollie240585 that you're better off with a standard filter rather than a K & N. The best thing is a high flo panel filter as the standard filter will give adequate flow with a 40% spare allowance. When I get round to looking at our Mongol Rally K11, I'll have a think about a supplementary filter for ram effect - not for the car itself but just as an exercise. That's the only way you'll get more air (and thus fuel) in without resorting to forced induction!

Alienfish360

Awesome Dawson
On my 1.ol k11 im using a evo sport carbon cansiter with a direct feed pipe from the end to the bumper so there is no gaps and no hot air seeping in, i think u will find its called 'FORCED INDUCTION'.

Erm...... I think you'll find it's not

Forced Induction = Turbocharged/Supercharger

I don't like the term "Ram Air Induction" either. Since there's a big air filter manufacturer called RamAir that has nothing to do with this style of induction.

It'd be best and most accurate to refer to it as a Cold Air Intake (CAI)

AntMat

Ex. Club Member
Cold Air Intake:laugh: !

Most of the piccies I've seen on here have a filter mounted on top of the "throttle" box - not exactly a good location for cold air!

In 2001 I did some work with Ram Air on the design of a supplementary filter for my late lamented Lupo Cup GTi. When fitted with just a cone filter at the n/s rear of the bulk head there was a power loss v standard of 2.4bhp@7,000rpm, dropping further at the end of the second run - exhaust manifold was getting towards the white colour end of the heat range by then.

This is not exactly academic as, of course, the bonnet is open with the huge cooling fan blasting away in front of the rollers.

When fitted with a supplementary filter taking air in from the n/s of the front air dam, there was an improvement over the norm of 4.7bhp which is quite a difference. Incidentally peak power with the standard filter was 122bhp@ 7,000rpm so there was an improvement of almost 4% against a loss of about 2%.

OP
OP
Gurpreet

Gurpreet

Ex. Club Member
anyhow.. I e-mailed K&N about all this and the reply I got was:

Dear my Micra is too good for you,

When we develop a 57i kit, we look where is the best place for the filter. In a lot of cases that is directly on the throttle body. After developing a kit, we always do a performance test on the dyno. When the kit does not gain enough horse power it will not be available! So when you follow the instruction sheet, you will have a kit that should gain hp and is mounted in the right way.

An air filter can never suck up engine oil. The air always flows towards the engine. Perhaps those people have a clogged and dirty filter and they think it is dirty motor oil… We advise you to clean the filter after 50000 kilometers. The filter looks a bit dirty already before, but the functioning actually improves a little when the filter already is a bit dirty. Of course when you drive in dusty conditions you should clean it sooner. For more specific information on this subject you can check the following link: http://www.knfilters.com/faq.htm#19. You can also find information on how to clean the filter on our website.

Kind regards,

Jealous person.

I think the mighty micra guide is better though.. anyhow I cannot mod the box now as it is a write off.. so I will do that on the 1.4 I brought on Saturday. Just thought I'd disect the cow pats... his pistons must have been conked out or his filter was blocked... as for the heat issue.. from the manifold..

I was thinking hood vent... reading into how to go about this and will search the forum shortly.. surely a vent would bring in lots of air..

lewic

Ex. Club Member
Hi Antmat
When fitted with a supplementary filter taking air in from the n/s of the front air dam, there was an improvement over the norm
Do you have any pics of your setup? My mechanical ability is @ beginner level and its hard to picture these different scenarios! Would like to upgrade my car at some point but lots of conflicting advice.