Think I Killed the Car (TB solder gone wrong)!

Hi all,
looking for a bit of urgent help, my girlfriends car had some of the issues associated with the Throttle body dry solder issue,
I managed to do the job reasonably well (or so I thought), however, afterwards it started to Kangeroo, which it had not done before.
So had another go, even worse out come, the car will now no longer switch off ( have to stall it). And even then there is a EML light left on after removing the key. I did get a spark from from one of the solder points.
Also realised the MAF plug was left in, removing the potentiometer plug

Think I need to bite the bullit and buy a new throttle body, Just concered this may not solve the issue,
any ideas?

the car "running on" wont be down to the t/b giblets, did you just remove the t/b from the manifold ?

Hi, thanks for the reply, left the throttle body attached, simply removed the plate over the circuit board and soldered in situ.

hmm, sounds like you shorted a wire eh, the "running on" will probably be a burned relay or wire to the alternator (so that the alt 12v is feeding the system even when the ign is off) you could try removing the wires from the alt to verify

Hi there, thanks for the advice, got a new (or new for the car, from a scrappers) throttle body. As for the not switching off. almost spot on, relay to the battery.
So all running well, though the accelerator seems a little stiff, though probably just the spring on the new throttle body a little stiffer. Next to try and get the passenger door speaker working, hopefully just the loom in the door hinge.

Ha, yes! I unplugged the plug beneath it, not by the side....bit of a school boy.
However, it now has a new throttle body, and it has resolved the original problem (low power/ stalling), so I was on the right lines (just crap execution! :) ).

Spent an hour at the scrapper today, got a 'new' parcel shelf (the pins had disappeared from the old one long ago!), fan speed 'resistor card', and radiator bottle.
So she is gradually getting in better shape. Told the girlfriend we needed to give her a proper wash and polish this weekend.

Back