The tale of two Marchs to towards an ideal Micra - I have some questions....

Hi all,

Here in NZ my wife hannah and I are looking to buy our first Micra (all NZ ones are jdm imports and badged as Marches as you'll know). Hannah's brother in the UK has a Micra and we became quite fond of them there.

Our ultimate Micra would be a 2 door 1.3 pre-facelift manual with the S bits like rev counter etc - ideally in yellow.

Dreams.

We are going to look at a '96 pre-facelift 1.3 manual 4 door today. It has a rev counter and a few other bits that according to wiki might suggest its an S ? Its cheap so if all good then worth buying even though ultimately we want a 2 door. Its also a bland light blue/silver colour.

There is a facelift 2000 2 door manual 1.0 that we looked at on Sunday. Still non-coilpack. Nice condition and in a nicer aqua green sort of colour.

My idea is this. Buy both. Over time (when our workshop is quiet- we run a small at home engineering company) we would strip both cars and swap over bits. But I have questions. I have btw used the search feature but not found exact answers though...

Will the wiring be much the same on the two engines? The engines are both dizzy equipped.

Will the instrument cluster from the '96 fit into the pod on the 2000? Do cars not equipped with rev counters have an unused plug in the dash or are the plugs the same between both pods but internally different clusters etc.
Or is it more involved- perhaps the '96 has a speedo cable and the later car is digital?

If its too involved to fit the cluster (possibly the whole dash assembly with wiring too) from the early car into the newer one then we can just keep a look out for a cheap pre-facelift 2 door car. As I said - most are auto. Then swap over the pedal boxes etc. Are the wiring looms the same between autos and manuals, just unused plugs tied back where relevant. Do autos have a hole located for the clutch master cylinder blanked off? (I've not even checked but presume the clutch is hydraulic on Micras? )

That's enough of a wall of text for now... more questions later :)

Cheers
alex

96 has a speedo cable and the 2000 one has a electric one so wont swap over.
also alot of the wiring is different as the facelift (the 2000 one) has newer electronics. Engine wise its quite the same but in the cabin it isnt. Also the ecu itself has the same plug but the plug going to the interior (and cluster) is different. You can ofcourse swap everything over but this is quite alot of work. If you only like the pre facelift front then you can swap the whole front from the pre facelift onto the facelift. A bit of work but not hard if you can weld.
Clutch is cable.

Awesome! Thanks for the reply Maarten.

I drove the 1300 pre-facelift yesterday and wow- its soooo much faster. Much better torque and I can see it being a lot more bearable on a long journey.
The car itself is messy as- dents everywhere. But a useful parts donor if I can find another pre-facelift 2 door cheap.

I made a cheeky offer of around $700 nzd/ 350 quid and will wait to see if accepted.

Then of course Hannah and I discovered the delights that is looking at the japanese car auctions via carwebs.co.nz . Some very nice, cheap marches available- but adding the cost of getting them to nz and compliance and its not so cheap.

This one here, complete with cage, lsd etc was up for around 1000 quid.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-09-22 Japanese car auction Used Cars from Japan Car auctions online Vehicles, ...png
    Screenshot_2020-09-22 Japanese car auction Used Cars from Japan Car auctions online Vehicles, ...png
    960.1 KB · Views: 131
That version was not so cheap, if you want one you might need some patience. I bought my Super S completely rusted for 350 coins and that just because many bidders. It is dented all over. Be aware of rust though even in NZ. Rust is no fun.

Cheers for the heads up Richard!
So we've just bought the 4 door (well its not ours until its in our yard..) . Pick it up on Friday. Now watching a 2 door pre-facelift that's up for grabs on Trademe auction site. Its an auto 1.0 but very tidy. An ideal base to build a good car by cherry picking the best bits from both. Hopefully the auction listing does not go too mental..

I'm not too fussed about rust because removinbg rot from old cars is one of my main bread earners. But I'd rather avoid it- I've had enough of rusty old cars now :)

Back