The secret - REVEALED! MA10 running on CBR600 bike carbs

RE: The secret lol

hehe!! I bet in 6 months time, the forum will be no closer to knowing what your up to!

Hopefully I may have a result by this sunday.

Attachments

• insure.jpg
    insure.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 580

lol :DD

keep em in suspense I say hehehe

(oh btw I have no idea what he's doing)

hope it goes well matey i have also made some vast impvements on that side of things also :D great discovery too:p

ohhh, you made great discovery with the secret? :)
Interesting lol :DD

I wanted to get mine done this week, but no time... again... you may beat me to it after all :D

ITS HEREEEEEEEEEEEEE

Check this out......

http://www.micra.org.uk/videos/ma10carbs.wmv

Wow, Ed mate you are a legend!!! :D You gotta get that in a motor and see what power gains it gives!!! How easy was it to fit, modify etc?? :) Nice one, the engine also looks a little beefier with the carbs on too which is good. Sounds mean also lol. Congratulations bud, definitely worth the wait!!! :D

RE: The secret - REVEALED!

Got quite a few things to sort out before it can go onto the car, but in principle I now know it should work at least!

from the carbs I would expect if it works to plan at least 15bhp alone.

Great stuff mate!!! Could be the start of a big thing if it does give that much extra power!!! 100BHP n/a k10's may not be a thing which is almost impossible to achieve. Are these carbs easy to pick up then??

Great stuff Ed!

I like the commentary lol! :laugh:

"As you can see... It does work! {Woo-hoo!}" :)

Fuppin hell, definitly duznt sound like no MA10!! Its a beast! Gud luck, cant wait till its propelling a K10!!!

There is a fair amount to do before they can go on, vacume lines and possibly fuel control, however you can see its got potential, the carbs opened up and worked nicely when testing :) great stuff !!

lol...
about time u opened it to the world matey glad to see u got it on ok.

luvving the commentary dude. but i advise..

stay behind the cam in future :p

cant wait matey. this may go into the new member of tha family possibly :D

nice one Ed, would this work with the ma12 as well as the ma10? sorry if this is a stupid question...!

yus it is a stupid questoin :p
yes it will work as the setup is exactly the same.

and no he wont sell it it will begoing on his SILVER k10

I'm quite sure (like 90%) sure this will work on a MA12 :D
(the 10% becuase I'm still not finished with my project)

Thats because it was kinda funny, I came up with the same idea after Ed put on his secret topic.
Ed now just finished before me. But... I have it all ready to go on the engine which is already in a car lol :p

Time, as usual, is the critical factor here. Becuase I didnt (and perhaps dont have) any time its not going as fast as I was hoping for.
But fook me if my engine is gonna sound a bit like that! hehehe, it sounds really good :)

Few question of which I'm interested how you solved them :):

Is that vacuum controlled carb or a flatslided one?
Where do you get your vacuum from? If it's a vacuum controlled carb I suppose you get it from there ofcourse.. (I have to get my vacuum from the "mini manifolds").
Since you said "the carbs opened up" I suppose it's a vacuum controlled one and not flatslided.
And... where did you get that carb from? Becuase you already said once it had all to be in an angle.
The carb I use doesnt have to be in an angle to operate properly, so I was interested from what bike you got yours :)

This sure gives extra inspiration for me to get mine done as fast as possible :).
But next week I have day off. I have a feeling that will be the day!
Will ofcourse also make a vid of it, and maybe a vid when driving around, not sure :D

btw, I have a complete step by step guide in the making.
Sure someone would appreciate that when it's finished :p

Vacume is not done yet. I'm going to connect all the manifold side of the carbs to the vacume system should be ok.

Ill post some pics soon

no not yet. Im going to make a 4-1 for the car also, that should be interesting :)

Great stuff Ed :D

one step further then I got, well sort of lol!

LMAO at the funny style commentry and the la da la de da da in between :laugh:

Oh btw you think that sounds good, you should have heard my K10 running on twin 40's with my exhaust system inside on the rollers, even if this gave no power gains it would be worth it for the emense sound they develop. It it was setup with good cold air into the carbs then it will make a massive difference to the performance.

bye bye full ecomony though hehe!

Really hope you pull it off Ed

Kev

Fapping ell - I had an inkling it might be bike carbs, but had no idea how on earth you'd get them to work, so quickly dismissed it!

Which carbs are you using?

It's very sweet indeed. A bike carbed K10 at JAE would be a new one!

Im hoping to think of a way to get the red K10 and the then silver ST to donny.. We shall see. They are a set of CBR600 carbs.

Are very nice :)

It would be good if you could get something running at Santa Pod :)

Btw, when do you usually have the most time free, weekends? I'm still up for the bumper spraying, I just need to finalise some dates as to when I'm definately free.

Large image of carbs... see attachments :)

[attachment=144]
[attachment=145]

Awesome stuff. Glad you've finally let the cat out the bag! Lol! Really hope the whole thing works.

The K11 owners should begin to fear this project now :upside: :p, I have used a few online 1/4 mile calculators and at 90bhp (my target) and 650 Kg I should be in the 15's (apparently) 1/4 mile hahaha.

Ed

Good to see the alu welding worked nicely on the flange.
afaik alu welding is always a bit risky because it involves so much heat that cannot disperse and might bend the flange.
A lil problem I had, but eventually solved itself lol :D

Might it not been easier to have used those "rubber" manifolds that connect the bike and the carb originally?
This way it absorbes some shocks and all is easier to remove when necesary.
This because I also wanted to weld everything together, but was told not to do so because of the shocks things could break. And the last thing you want is the carb falling off while driving :p
Although those welds do look sturdy lol

very very impressed i knew thats what it was anyway if this works i wil do what evr it takes to do the same :D

if im not mistaken thats my old engine isnt it? :D

:laugh:

Yes its you old engine!! Also as for carb weakness the hitatchi one is bolted with no rubbers and is fine. Welding this one on saved alot of technical challenges.

Yeah, but the old manifold + carb is made out of one piece, you have welded something on now :) I have no idea how strong those welds are, time will tell lol :p
A nice challenge will be setting up each carb correcty per cylinder.
I'm already looking forward to that :glare:

Btw, I have no special exhaust manifold made. Do you think it's safe running this setup with a standard exhasut manifold?
Still the manifold I have is slightly bigger than the other standard one. But standard non the less :)
Otherwise it's time to make a 4-2-1 manifold or something. Could be done by yourself (read a guide somewhere online for making a manifold yourself).

After this one the MSC should have all the info for tuning, because then it's really all done.
Changing the inlet, changing the engine (bigger valves etc) and changing the exit.
Should be quite enough to get some extra power from that MA engine :)
Then waiting for someone who wants to ajust the valve timing. Customizing the camshaft can be done at every respectable tuning company. Probably not worth it with a micra really (the allmighty money-power ratio :p)

Well ive spent all afternoon tweeking these carbs, and playing with the engine - I can now report back and say that i have it idling nicely on its own supply of fuel and it seems pretty responsive too. Im considering trying to put them on the other K10, but I dont want to rush LOL..

Ed

Attachments

• bulbnipple.jpg
    bulbnipple.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 447
Ok Can you believe it, I gave in and fitted them to the K10, I managed to bodge a temporary vacume line for the breaks, but not for the ignition. Its very hard to describe how it goes, there is still alot that needs to be done, however low and mid range power seems improved top end seems same or a little worse, I think this is due to the ignition, and the fact the carb float chambers will need ajusting, but the fact the thing moves at all is quite amazing in my opinion! Bear in mind this project has cost under £40!!!

If it works yeah - it will be great- need to tweek it laods now.

Back