The new guy

Hi, to all ,after many many months of looking online for a Pao i finally had mine delivered this week . You may have seen it on fleabay ,a rather sorry rusty soggy example but perfect for me as i could never afford a nice one .So with the welder turned up on max and some flattened out bake bean cans im in for some long nights . The o/s sill to floor area and a few areas on the n/s floor need attention as well as the spare wheel well . Theres a spot just below the windshield about 400 mm that needs a strip welding in too. What a great car overall though in a lovely shade of green . Would it be an idea to do a poll on how many variants there are outside of Japan . Mine is olive green non runroof auto with 214,000 kms just to get the ball rolling , oh i am in Bournemouth uk . Thanks for the forum you guys , we need somewhere eh. Russ
tmp_20141207_145647-1443466683.jpg
tmp_20141207_103204590878843.jpg

Last edited:
Another Pao in the Bournemouth area.......sweeeeeet! there was one owned by a girl who worked at the hotel on poole Quay.......and my beloved Flump......not in Poole anymore now in north dorset........how goes the refurb?? Cheers Dan
PS - have you joined the Pao FB page??

OP
OP
fabster
Another Pao in the Bournemouth area.......sweeeeeet! there was one owned by a girl who worked at the hotel on poole Quay.......and my beloved Flump......not in Poole anymore now in north dorset........how goes the refurb?? Cheers Dan
PS - have you joined the Pao FB page??
Hi, Dan great to hear from you ,i have started with the floors as they are the worst areas and the mort time consuming . The drivers side has had, floor to sill , inner sill and outer sill repair sections fabricated and welded in .Now i am making a start on the passenger side which is not as bad. I have around 20 hours in it so far which i dont mind as i love the car , which is more than i can say for most of the cars i weld up.Yes i have joined fb.
2015-01-06 21.10.20.jpg
2015-01-06 21.10.20.jpg
2014-12-30 18.02.07.jpg
2014-12-30 14.34.24.jpg
2014-12-29 21.15.24.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like good work there Russ, i just picked up my Pao at the weekend and looks like its in a similar condition to yours, unfortunately i didnt think it was that bad until i got home and started poking and shoving my fingers through parts of car :-(

ive got a decent welder and have practiced abit but this will be the first time on an actual car so i may be back here to pick your brains if thats ok, im assuming you are fabbing the replacement panels yourself ? the sill section you have replaced above - is that the same panel that you would geton a k10 micra or is it all fab work ?

thanks

Sam

OP
OP
fabster
Hi Sam , yes then can rust eh. Mine has been in the UK for a few years and,by the looks of it ,has been standing. for quite a bit. The micra sill is too narrow to fit i just folded a 10 mm edge then clamped it on the flange then bent it up aganist the old existing sill. I used 20 gauge mild steel sheet metal for the body sections and some 18 g that i had for the more structural pieces. Good luck and dont skimp on the Amps on your welder plus make sure to disconnect your battery.

thanks for your reply Russ, i'll put a thread up as soon as i get the courage to start cutting away at it so you can have a look/laugh at my work, I'm not sure at the minute wether to just do the plates that are underneath myself as no-one will see them then take it to a pro or just go at it myself, time will tell i suppose.

thanks

Sam

OP
OP
fabster
You will do fine .Make sure the body repairs are below the surface of the bodywork ,then a skim of body filler and your'e done

wehey

Ex. Club Member
Nice work!!
I picked up my Pao last week and seem to have the same rust issues around the windscreen
I will be interested to see how you tackle it as I'm quite new to welding.
Will be watching this with interest :)

sorry to hijack your thread Russ but how are you 2 getting those pictures to show like that ? when i put pics in my thread they show as a tiny thumbnail you have to click on ? i tried an instagram link and a photobucket url but its not having any of it ??

wehey

Ex. Club Member
sorry to hijack your thread Russ but how are you 2 getting those pictures to show like that ? when i put pics in my thread they show as a tiny thumbnail you have to click on ? i tried an instagram link and a photobucket url but its not having any of it ??
You need to sign up to Photobucket, upload your photos, then copy the highlighted (in red) code into your post.

Like this

LOL I think the green colour is moss growing on it as the cars actual colour looks to be Slate Grey (blue) gotta love the little things to go through so much work, mine has a tiny bit of rust under the screen but not too bad yet, I have rust converted it for now to stop it getting worse, I am currently collecting parts for a Superturbo MA09ERT conversion
10435745_861750297218991_156587727446849682_n.jpg
10360622_862059923854695_1198006428693597176_n.jpg

quick question for you Russ.

you see in your bottom picture where the car is up in the air and you have welded in that sill section.

where it curves down underneath the car and comes to the lip - have you spot welded that along its length ?

i thought that was the process and was happy as i am getting pretty good at my spot welds - but someone told me the other day it has to be seam welded all the way along due to it being structural so would need the strength ?

but i cant see how i would seam weld down the middle of 2 lips butted up against each other ?

OP
OP
fabster
If the repair replicates the original seam and its just the two flanges then the factory method of spot welding can be used to join the panel if however you are welding it on top of the existing flange then a continuous weld must be made. If the first flange is slightly longer than the second then weld along this edge. The ability to sketch on my phone would be useful :) .i hope this is not to confusing...fire up the welder..

Russ

not been on here for an age - looks like you are progressing - Flump is now back in action after a winter hibernation........would be good to catch up next time i am in town..........how is the revival coming along?

Cheers

Dan

OP
OP
fabster
Hi Dan,its good to hear from you again. It is great to know you are back on the road again reunited with your pampered Pao. I have completed all the mechanical and structural work on my car now. The bodywork will be done after the mot ,which hopefully will be done next week. My last little job ,was to convert the drivers side reversing light to a fog light to clean up the rear end. Hope all is well with you and yes we will hook up in the near future to swap pao stories over a beer.

Last edited: